Variations...that old chestnut!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  18
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that there should be an allowed overlap, it is rubbish. There should be a defined 1 hour overlap allowed where children are leaving and arriving for morning and afternoon sessions. Though I wouldn't do it unless it was written in black and white in the EYFS. They should add it, and soon.

Also, adding to people abusing the COC. I heard of a Childminder signing a child up in the Summer, but them not attending (or paying) and then having a baby sibling (and the child) start in September, the whole thing being "justified" as being COC. Urgh.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    My last post about this and I promise I'm not trying to be argumentative.

The EYFS does not mention overlap, perhaps because the implication is in max 3 under 5 unless exceptional circumstances. It does not need to mention overlap. It cannot list everything you can and can't do.

It does not mention new business because by implication max 3 under 5 covers it with the added clause of exceptional circumstances. The EYFS should either remove this reference to a maximum of under 5's or state that you can exceed it with a risk assessment or based on a cm's ability....it does not say this so how can it be permissible to ignore the reference. You choose not to ignore the 6 under 8 reference.

I would love the wording to be looked at carefully by DfE rather than remain largely the same during the update in 2014. Why not lobby for a mention of overlap if it is allowed (how long is an overlap......an inspector says your overlap is too long and downgrades you....if we do not get more solid information how can a cm risk an overlap?).

I agree with you that it's up to the individual cm but if we are only looking at the wording in the EYFS it suggests no overlap or exceeding of 3 under 5's by implication. It would be wrong for cms to assume something is permissible just because the EYFS does not say we can't.
    Thanks for your reply Rick...it is unlikely you will ever get to see the DfE emails/clarification so I would suggest you contact them and see if the answer to you is different.

Sorry but it is all to do with the EYFS and cms ratios and I think you see it in a different way.....the issue has never been and never will be a problem to me but I have done my best to get it clarified...and I am as clear as I can be.

So good luck to all those Cms here you are still confused and will continue to ask about ratios and argue from all angles...get frustrated and blame Ofsted and DfE....the answer is there

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123