Outstanding nursery closure
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  24
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Outstanding nursery closure

Did anyone catch the story in the news of the nursery graded outstanding that has now been branded inadequate because the manager took pictures of children on the nursery mobile phone and sent them to parents of the child to help them see their child was doing well and settling in?
    I'm not sure I understand what the issue is? We can take pictures and send them to parents right...?

Registered Childminder since
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I havent seen the story , there must be more to it surely?
    maybe they are going against their own policies , or there wasn't adquate 'security' regarding the mobile / camera .

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

From what I read it was a sub-standard (or lack of, or not following) safeguarding policy and the fact the nursery worker used a personal phone, rather than a setting's phone/camera.
    Not relevance to us as we are 'the setting' so the setting phone is our own phone.
    But always wise to check our safeguarding policy meets EYFS requirements by mentioning our mobile phone policy.

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Ofsted strips Cherubs nursery of Outstanding rating over a photo sent to a parent | Daily Mail Online

What I find quite ironic is that Yes it was a safeguarding issue but now the picture that she sent is all over the internet.

It was a nice gesture to send the picture and it would have been fine to do that years ago but now with all the strict safeguarding policies we are supposed to have, it went against the mobile phone policy. It looks like staff were allowed to take pictures on mobile phones which is not allowed.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

5. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    Ofsted strips Cherubs nursery of Outstanding rating over a photo sent to a parent | Daily Mail Online What I find quite ironic is that Yes it was a safeguarding issue but now the picture that she sent is all over the internet. It was a nice gesture to send the picture and it would have been fine to do that years ago but now with all the strict safeguarding policies we are supposed to have, it went against the mobile phone policy. It looks like staff were allowed to take pictures on mobile phones which is not allowed.

Thanks jcrackers sorry I couldn't find the link!

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The photo isn't the issue. It's how the photo was taken. On a private phone. So staff are allowed their phones in the setting. They should have taken the photo with the setting's camera that would remain in the setting over night and every night. Staff's phones should be taken off them during working hours to protect the children and themselves. They need to tighten their policies regarding cameras/videoing equipment.

8. Likes Maza, rickysmiths liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moh View Post
    The photo isn't the issue. It's how the photo was taken. On a private phone. So staff are allowed their phones in the setting. They should have taken the photo with the setting's camera that would remain in the setting over night and every night. Staff's phones should be taken off them during working hours to protect the children and themselves. They need to tighten their policies regarding cameras/videoing equipment.
    They were interviewed on tv and we're making out that it was the nursery a phone..

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If it was the nurserys phone and there was a strong policy in place showing how it would be used /stored / secure etc - and the practice the inspector saw showed that they were following their own policy... then I can see why they are appealing. Parent petitions will do nothing, those same parents would be the first to criticise if the lax policy / procedures has led to anything more worrying.
    The report says there were also other areas graded inadequate , it sounds like the lady may have just become complacent or not kept up to date with current requirements , its likely to have been several years since her last inspection. We shouldnt be worried by this kind of reporting , we just need to make sure our own policy annd practice stand up to scrutiny.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    They were interviewed on tv and we're making out that it was the nursery a phone..
    I think the problem lies in that their Ofsted report states that the staff used thewir own personal phones, whilst the nursery owner insists that the staff only use a work phone. The nursery will now have to prove to Ofsted that the phone was indeed a work phone and that no staff personal phone has ever been used. The nursery will have to complain to get it changed in their ofsted report and to avoid closure but as im sure we are all aware it is not easy to complain to ofsted about your inspection!

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh, I read it a couple of days ago that the phone belonged to the manager. mumofone try not to worry about yourself. If your safeguarding policy states that you do not allow visitors or family members or minded families or minded children to have access to their phones/videoing gadgets etc whilst in your home then you should be covered. That's what it says in mine. I send my parents WhatsApp photos daily. Ofsted know this. Parents have signed permission forms to say they are happy with this.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If you read the Ofsted report the nursery wasn't downgraded purely because of one photo. I guess they're now trying to cover themselves by saying it was a nursery phone. What was worrying to me was that the nursery manager didn't seem to appreciate that this could be a safeguarding issue for both the children and her staff. There's no harm at all in sending parents a photo to show that their child is settled and happy, but you do have to consider the implications when you're in a nursery setting and staff are using their private phones.

14. Likes mama2three, FloraDora, ziggy, Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a nosey person, so I looked the inspection report up. It happened last year, so I do not think it could be changed now.
    I wonder if the fact they knew about the photo came from a comment from the parent either when speaking to the inspector or via a reference.

It is interesting to note that the photo in the paper shows the owner sat at a table surrounded by 4 children. Where would they have got that photo from? Nowadays, I think many pictures in the paper come from Facebook or the Internet. Even the photo of the setting is exactly the same as on the community website where the nursery is held.

The report did not just find problems with the phone usage but also with outdoor space.

I did notice what a beautiful building the nursery was held in.

16. Likes Maza, rickysmiths liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k1rstie View Post
    I'm a nosey person, so I looked the inspection report up. It happened last year, so I do not think it could be changed now.
    I wonder if the fact they knew about the photo came from a comment from the parent either when speaking to the inspector or via a reference.

It is interesting to note that the photo in the paper shows the owner sat at a table surrounded by 4 children. Where would they have got that photo from? Nowadays, I think many pictures in the paper come from Facebook or the Internet. Even the photo of the setting is exactly the same as on the community website where the nursery is held.

The report did not just find problems with the phone usage but also with outdoor space.

I did notice what a beautiful building the nursery was held in.
    I cant find the OFSTED report, are you able to link to it at all? (im super nosey too!!!!!!!) x

Post Thanks / Like

Working in a school based nursery at the moment and we have safeguarding policies against the use of mobiles in place. We are only allowed to use them in the staff room and other times must be turned off.We reassure parents by phoning them and not by taking photographs of them.

19. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

I cant find the OFSTED report, are you able to link to it at all? (im super nosey too!!!!!!!) x
    There post code is ME17 4AW. It was done in October 2015

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ofsted | Cherubs Pre School

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    If it was the nurserys phone and there was a strong policy in place showing how it would be used /stored / secure etc - and the practice the inspector saw showed that they were following their own policy... then I can see why they are appealing. Parent petitions will do nothing, those same parents would be the first to criticise if the lax policy / procedures has led to anything more worrying.
    The report says there were also other areas graded inadequate , it sounds like the lady may have just become complacent or not kept up to date with current requirements , its likely to have been several years since her last inspection. We shouldnt be worried by this kind of reporting , we just need to make sure our own policy annd practice stand up to scrutiny.
    Their last Inspection was in 2009 and was the only one since they opened in 2006.

If you read their Ofsted report there were a number of Safeguarding and Welfare concerns which was why they were downgraded.

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems like 18,000 people have signed a petition to get the grade changed. But, having staff taking pictures of the children on their personal mobile phones is a big safeguarding issue. It only takes 1 member of staff to share those pictures with someone and anyone could get hold of them.

As a parent I wouldn't want staff taking pictures of my children with their own personal phones, wonder why 18,000 people cant see that?

(Although looking at the petition , I think the mums website means 1,800 not 18,000)
    Last edited by JCrakers; 10-02-2016 at 04:49 PM.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

24. Likes Maza, rickysmiths liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    It seems like 18,000 people have signed a petition to get the grade changed. But, having staff taking pictures of the children on their personal mobile phones is a big safeguarding issue. It only takes 1 member of staff to share those pictures with someone and anyone could get hold of them.

As a parent I wouldn't want staff taking pictures of my children with their own personal phones, wonder why 18,000 people cant see that?

(Although looking at the petition , I think the mums website means 1,800 not 18,000)
    It's up to about 2300 now.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

At least it has got everyone talking about the issue. It does seem a bit slack that they didn't realise this was an issue - I mean, how long have we all been discussing it before we had even heard of this case?

At the staff meeting at work on Monday the Head brought up this issue. One teacher said that she does take photos on her phone because her department doesn't have a camera. They ordered one for her immediately. It's a shame that someone with probably nothing to hide has been made a scapegoat (so to speak) but as I said, at least it is highlighting the issue.

Yes there were other issues on the Ofsted report, but the photo issue is the one mentioned first in every paragraph.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast