Pilot areas announced for 30 hours free childcare from September 2016.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Pilot areas announced for 30 hours free childcare from September 2016.

Announced today.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/t...hildcare-early

Also says that counties will be monitored to pass on funding too.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks FloraDora , thankfully my county isnt on the list , I know they had ''applied''. I can only live in hope that someone realises that the attainment gap for children will be widened with this policy before it is rolled out across the country.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's interesting to see that the areas that have an active childminding agency are pretty much all included in some way or another.

I suppose we shouldn't be surprised really when the government will want to evaluate their role in providing the 30 hours funding.

4. Likes moggy liked this post
    Dec 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Im so pleased I am in the pilot area. Well I thought I was until I realised all my funded children will have started school in September.
    Julie X X

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    It's interesting to see that the areas that have an active childminding agency are pretty much all included in some way or another.

I suppose we shouldn't be surprised really when the government will want to evaluate their role in providing the 30 hours funding.
    I hadn't even noticed that! Our County Hertfordshire is included but not a wiff of any Agencies here yet.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    I hadn't even noticed that! Our County Hertfordshire is included but not a wiff of any Agencies here yet.
    Yes, it's the other way round.

It's not that all the areas included have got an agency, but that the all the active agencies have had their counties included.

There are some agencies that never seem to have taken off and there's no mention of their counties, but the ones who are taking on childminders and are moving forward all seem to be included.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

North Yorkshire is included, and no sign of an agency round here either, but I guess we've been chosen because we 'tick' lots of deprivation/rural boxes! we did the pilot for the 2 yr old scheme.

hmmmm ... we are also 'in consultation' about what we will be paid for funded places next year/and onwards ... i have yet to respond to the consultation - knowing we are in pilot area could change how I respond.

I think i might email FIS and ask WHICH areas are piloting 30 hours.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by julie w View Post
    Im so pleased I am in the pilot area. Well I thought I was until I realised all my funded children will have started school in September.
    Hi Julie you are in my la and we are not part of the pilot area. Email came out earlier
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Nottinghamshire arent ncluded ( home of @homechildcare)

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    Nottinghamshire arent ncluded ( home of @homechildcare)
    Nottinghamshire County Council applied and failed.

Hardly a surprising result for a local authority that couldn't organise a wobble on a jelly.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be able to afford to offer 30 hours as the rate is low where I am, if it does roll out does anyone know if I'd be able to offer free funding between say 9 and 12 each day like a preschool would?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alex__17 View Post
    I wouldn't be able to afford to offer 30 hours as the rate is low where I am, if it does roll out does anyone know if I'd be able to offer free funding between say 9 and 12 each day like a preschool would?
    All depends on your LA- they set the requirements in terms of settings allocating 'sessions' for funding- you need to read the small print in the FE contract with the LA.
    The new 30-hour level of funding is not fixed, though. It may not be the same as your current rate.
    A national average rate was announced but that was meaningless unless you know if yours is going to be above/below... there are still consultations etc to happen for that. This trial period is also to start working all this out- no one knows much yet!

Post Thanks / Like

Does this make a good case for switching to purely after schoolers who don't get the 30 hours?

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, I've not paid much attention as I know I couldn't afford to offer it at its present rate, I guess wait and see how it all works for the pilot settings and wait for more info!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    All depends on your LA- they set the requirements in terms of settings allocating 'sessions' for funding- you need to read the small print in the FE contract with the LA.
    The new 30-hour level of funding is not fixed, though. It may not be the same as your current rate.
    A national average rate was announced but that was meaningless unless you know if yours is going to be above/below... there are still consultations etc to happen for that. This trial period is also to start working all this out- no one knows much yet!
    This is a great piece of government Newspeak.

How the clucking bell does anyone know what an average is going to be until they have the raw data of individual figures that will go to make up that average? I mentioned this to my friend, who in turn put it to his brother who works in a university science faculty. He was utterly baffled by the concept. the only useful theory he could offer was that if at least half the LA's pay exactly the 'average' figure, then it works as a 'mode' form of average (as opposed to a 'mean' or 'median' figure.)

It makes no more sense than telling a county cricket bowler what his bowling average is going to be next season, then sending him out with instructions to stick to it or else.

Presumably, sometime this year, that Sam-I-Am Gyimah will be on the 'phone to the very last local authority on his list, trying to persuade them to pay their funded providers £250ph to keep the average on target once all the other LAs have opted to undercut the average.

17. Likes moggy liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I stand corrected.
    Although Nottinghamshire isnt one of those authorities named individually they have infact been ''clustered'' with Nottingham City and Walsall Council and been given £4m to pilot different ways of implementing the 30 hours. There is no further information atm , but they are attending a briefing later this month with the DofE to find out more.

Jan 84
    Post Thanks / Like

My area Staffordshire is included, too late for me though as I will be finished by then.
    Teacake2

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My County Hertfordshire is included. I am going to one of our regular meeting about Funding at the beginning of March so I hope we will be given more information then.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Had an email from County that says only 5% of families will take part in the pilot! They are approaching businesses with parents that will be seeking childcare, and a few childcare providers and schools - so not as great for the parents as initially seemed.