Valentines day crafts
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Valentines day crafts

Is anyone doing or previously done any nice Valentine crafts they're happy to share? :-)

Post Thanks / Like

google image childrens valentines there is some adorable hand and foot print based things x

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Old fashioned as it may seem, I really think of Valentine's Day as the traditional 'romantic love' so I don't think children need to take part in anything Valentine linked. Leave something precious to being older.

4. Likes SYLVIA, Smiley, mama2three liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    Old fashioned as it may seem, I really think of Valentine's Day as the traditional 'romantic love' so I don't think children need to take part in anything Valentine linked. Leave something precious to being older.
    That's an interesting view point :-)

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    I may do red/pink sensory rice (as i have a huge tub of it) or painting/drawing in heart paper but that is as far as it goes, and actually, because valentines day is at the weekend, i won't even be doing that this year.

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont generally do valentines crafts as I also feel its for adults. But with all the hearts on display in shops etc, we have looked at our own hearts before and how to look after them with exercise etc.and used it as a health and exercise activity

8. Likes FloraDora, mama2three, mumofone, Minstrel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SYLVIA View Post
    I dont generally do valentines crafts as I also feel its for adults. But with all the hearts on display in shops etc, we have looked at our own hearts before and how to look after them with exercise etc.and used it as a health and exercise activity
    Oh this is a really good idea! :-) x

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    I may do red/pink sensory rice (as i have a huge tub of it) or painting/drawing in heart paper but that is as far as it goes, and actually, because valentines day is at the weekend, i won't even be doing that this year.
    I like this idea :-)

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not planning anything as it's on a weekend, plus I don't work Friday's and if I did an activity the children would be bringing it home on the Thursday and that is too early.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't do anything specific.

What I have found though is if you wait until after Valentine's Day you can get some real bargains in the shops! A couple of years ago Sainsburys were selling boxes of fabric rose petals for a stupid price. After Valentine's Day they were reduced to 10p a box so I bought a few. They were used so much in other activities (nothing at all to do with Valentines Day) had the children loved them.

13. Likes FloraDora, SYLVIA, BallyH, Maza liked this post
    Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I ADORE Valentine's Day. (Then again I adore every celebration! Haha) I have a Valentine's box that I bring down out of the loft, the same as I do my Xmas decorations. Last year with my own daughter I did a sensory water tray with red water, confetti, glitter, pink silicon cupcake moulds small red bowls and spoons etc. I also did the kitchen roll heart shape printing, and did the chocolate scented playdough in a chocolate box invitation to play. I made heart shaped biscuits (in the style of Jammie Dodgers) and this was just for my own little one.

I always feel bad when I see people not enjoying the day (often because they're single) To me it's a fantastic day to show loved ones how much they mean. (Or even to treat yourself to something nice!) So I think it's lovely to get little ones involved.

15. Likes Mouse liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greenfaerie View Post
    I ADORE Valentine's Day. (Then again I adore every celebration! Haha) I have a Valentine's box that I bring down out of the loft, the same as I do my Xmas decorations. Last year with my own daughter I did a sensory water tray with red water, confetti, glitter, pink silicon cupcake moulds small red bowls and spoons etc. I also did the kitchen roll heart shape printing, and did the chocolate scented playdough in a chocolate box invitation to play. I made heart shaped biscuits (in the style of Jammie Dodgers) and this was just for my own little one.

I always feel bad when I see people not enjoying the day (often because they're single) To me it's a fantastic day to show loved ones how much they mean. (Or even to treat yourself to something nice!) So I think it's lovely to get little ones involved.
    Those are lovely ideas

What I don't like to see is the line of identical heart-shaped handprint cards that are mainly made by the childcarer and which most children would get very little out of doing.

17. Likes Maza, Pixie dust liked this post
    Dec 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We're playing with red and pink coloured rice with added fake flower petals and silicone cake cases, spoons and tubs for pouring. We'll also have red playdough to play with, we will read books about who we are about and make simple cards. I hope to extend this by talking about feelings in general, what makes us happy sad etc.

Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

That sounds lovely. I've only done rice play once so far. It ended up in EVERY room in my house (somehow!) I'm still not over the trauma. Haha. It sticks to socks. I do love it as a resource though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kirstylob View Post
    We're playing with red and pink coloured rice with added fake flower petals and silicone cake cases, spoons and tubs for pouring. We'll also have red playdough to play with, we will read books about who we are about and make simple cards. I hope to extend this by talking about feelings in general, what makes us happy sad etc.
    How did you colour your rice out of interest? I've just done it once before with food colouring and vinegar i think and it totally stunk and was very messy!!! Wondering if there's a better way?! :-) x

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

just food colouring , kids can help. Put the rice in ziploc bags and let them add a few drops of colouring. seal it up and let them squash and manipulate until its evenly mixed through - mine love this - its an activity in itself. The spread the rice on baking trays or anything flat and let it dry overnight.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    just food colouring , kids can help. Put the rice in ziploc bags and let them add a few drops of colouring. seal it up and let them squash and manipulate until its evenly mixed through - mine love this - its an activity in itself. The spread the rice on baking trays or anything flat and let it dry overnight.
    I add a squirt of antibac gel ... can't really remember why ... someone told me to once I think! I think its so the colouring is spread around and dries quicker as the gel evaporates when you put it out to dry!

23. Likes mama2three liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SYLVIA View Post
    I've been thinking what a nice idea this is, could I ask what you did for it or what resources you used etc? X

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    I've been thinking what a nice idea this is, could I ask what you did for it or what resources you used etc? X
    Not sure what Sylvia does but when I look at the heart we do lots of energetic activities and feel our heart pounding after.
    I have an Aldi puzzle that they love and the second layer shows the heart and blood vessels so this is out to play with. I encourage art/ drawings of people with hearts in their chests ( hobby craft heart stickers)
    We have a real stethoscope and hear each other's heart beats. The PsHe link is usually linking pumping heart with happiness and what makes us happy. But not Valentine day linked, any time activity here.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

There is some useful info on the BHF website

https://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/...es-and-nursery

You can order free resources although you can give a donation, which is the fair thing to do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast