weak palmar grip at almost 4yrs old!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default weak palmar grip at almost 4yrs old!

wondered if any of you could give me some advice as I'm unsure which route to take

I have a little one who is 4 yrs old next month, starts school in September. He has been in my care since he was 18 months old. He's never enjoyed any kind of drawing/colouring/writing. It's always provided all day everyday and he will never approach it himself. If I do a one to one activity with him he will be happy to do the activity with my support but is only ever around 5 mins before he wants to stop.

I've always encouraged different fine motor skills such as playdough, fingerpainting, chunky chalks, threading, cutting etc. He loves playdough but everything else he's just not interested. He has great gross motor skills and is great at climbing, running, kicking a ball etc but he still holds his pencil in a palmar grip which is normally a grip that 2-3 yr olds would have and he still very much scribbles, obviously I'm concerned with him starting school soon and mum says she cant get him to even colour in a picture with her at home. He's also very behind on his speech and is not good in any social group.

I've had numerous conversations with mum and obviously worried he's going to go into school with speech, social and writing issues. any wise words from any of you that may of experienced similar?

Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I would get mum to ask Dr for a referral to a paediatrician. It sounds like he may have SEN.

In the past I have also discussed issues with my development worker, who was also the senco. With parents permission of course.

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest, he doesn't sound any different to any of the nursery school age children, especially boys that I have ever cared for.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be concentrating on the speech problems, print this http://www3.hants.gov.uk/ecat-child-monitoring-tool.pdf. Highlight what he can do.also looking at the talking point website they do a excellent progress checker, you do it and get mum to do it too, Progress Checker | Talking Point. From what you have said it will advise mum talks to a health visitor with intention of being referred to a speech therapist.
    The speech therapist here and I assume every where assess the whole child so any other difficulties such as a week grip will be taken into account and the necessary sign posting done from there.

Simona Guest

Pencil grasp gripping guide here

take a look and save somewhere because it is very useful to keep by your on-going formative assessment.

check your obs against the DM and Unique Child for variations of each child's progress...age and stage etc etc

Parent’s Pencil Grasp Gripping Guide | Occupational Therapy for Children

6. Likes hectors house liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting subject.
    I have child coming up for 4 can't hold a pencil any how and another two weeks younger who does dot to dot worksheets holding pencil correctly.

apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of your replies.
    I've had a quick look at the print out and will have a proper look later, thing is he can do all of these things and has great understanding and listening skills but it's hard to understand the speech. I've done the talking point a couple
    Of months ago and the result was fine I think I'll have another go and see if the results different and also direct mum to do it herself.
    Thanks

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Miss freckles View Post
    Thanks for all of your replies.
    I've had a quick look at the print out and will have a proper look later, thing is he can do all of these things and has great understanding and listening skills but it's hard to understand the speech. I've done the talking point a couple
    Of months ago and the result was fine I think I'll have another go and see if the results different and also direct mum to do it herself.
    Thanks
    In a way that is the beauty of the Unique Child...they all develop at different stages and in their time....so keep giving him activities to develop that pencil grip...it will eventually click into place

Maybe we should remind ourselves that children all over the world are not expected to write at age 4 let alone 3!!
    we push maths and literacy on them but forget other important areas such as the one now highlighted in Physical Development

With regard to the child's problem in C&L it may help to identify if the delay is in his speech or his language or his communication??
    I am sure you are already aware of it as you describe very well what he does.
    If a child can hear, follow instructions and has the vocabulary then the problem maybe the actual speech especially if it comes out in a torrent of words which no one can understand.

I had one of those children ...no one in the family had a clue what he was saying but he never stopped talking in that jumbled up language...I seemed to be the only one able to understand...until the grommets went in and all was hanky dory!!

Good luck!

I meant to add this link if it helps

Speech and Language Developmental Milestones [NIDCD Health Information]
    Last edited by Simona; 21-01-2016 at 10:03 AM.