If you could wave a magic childminding wand!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  22
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    December 2007
    Post Thanks / Like

Default If you could wave a magic childminding wand!

Hi all.
    Its been a few years since I was on the site.
    I have been dipping in and out of the different forums and threads on here and notice how frustrated CM's seem to be in so many different ways.
    It got me thinking about how sometimes we let the frustrating elements of our job over shadow the enjoyable ones. Which are undoubtedly caring for the children. So just for fun. A bit like if you had a million pounds what would you do. I thought I would ask... if you had a magic wand - what would you change?!

Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

The need to provide evidence to ofsted!

And on their second birthday all children could use the toilet without need for training!

3. Likes Mia, singingcactus liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

A selfish request from me, I'm afraid. If I had a magic wand would it be able to provide an answer to 'why can't I shift this weight?' I walk miles every day, back and forth indoors, school runs both ways etc. I feel I hardly ever sit down. And yet I'm still a cuddly mummy!

5. Likes chris goodyear liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mine would have to be resources.
    My magic wand would enable me to magic up resources without the need to spend money or hours making them.......and then they would disapear until th next time I needed them, not clutter every cupboard and hidy hole I have!

7. Likes SYLVIA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ooh Floradora's is an excellent one that I would totally agree with. I love the amazing resources you see that cost an arm and a leg but unfortunately storage is a big issue for me!

9. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh yes and of course money lol!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine would also be evidence for Ofsted.
    And the need to do tax returns. I find that beyond boring.

12. Likes singingcactus liked this post
    Simona Guest

1. get the politicians OUT of childcare...leave it to those who know!
    2. Get Ofsted to keep to their remit...inspect standards in education and abolish 'grades'!

14. Likes BallyH, FloraDora, Maza liked this post
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

To have all the resources/toys magically tidy themselves away at the end of the day and be ready for the next morning all on their own. Oh and also make sure they were all clean too!! Not too much to ask for is it???

16. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd change Applejack's annoying Deep South accent.........................y'all.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    I'd change Applejack's annoying Deep South accent.........................y'all.
    Noooòoooooooooo

APPLE JACK is the my little pony of the month in this house. Thankfully (or maybe not dependent on point of view) we managed to get the last one in build the bear
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

19. Likes FloraDora, bunyip liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Noooòoooooooooo

APPLE JACK is the my little pony of the month in this house. Thankfully (or maybe not dependent on point of view) we managed to get the last one in build the bear

She just reminds me of Boss Hogg (The Dukes Of Hazzard.) I keep hoping she'll say "Move your god-darned vee-hick-yool !"

Sorry to pick a fight, but it's got to be Pinkie Pie all the way. She's so pretty, she's so happy, she's so...........I dunno....... shallow!!!

Jan 84
    Post Thanks / Like

My Nephew's wife comes from the deep south and your mention of it made me laugh, she sounds just like that and when they come over for a visit it is so strange, my nephew still has his Nottinghamshire accent but his wife and the children have the southern accent and sometimes I find it so difficult to understand them, and this year their 3 year old cousin from Cornwall told them to "talk properly because she couldn't here them right", out of the mouths of babes, we wouldn't have dared to say anything.
    Teacake2

22. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Jan 84
    Post Thanks / Like

My magic wand would be to go back to the days when we were in the hands of Social Services, regular visit every twelve months, easy to chat to, no hoops to constantly jump through, it was (for me anyway) so much easier and we were allowed to get on with playing with the children and not treating them as a commodity.
    Teacake2

24. Likes bunyip, gef918, loocyloo, singingcactus, Maza liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teacake2 View Post
    My Nephew's wife comes from the deep south and your mention of it made me laugh, she sounds just like that and when they come over for a visit it is so strange, my nephew still has his Nottinghamshire accent but his wife and the children have the southern accent and sometimes I find it so difficult to understand them, and this year their 3 year old cousin from Cornwall told them to "talk properly because she couldn't here them right", out of the mouths of babes, we wouldn't have dared to say anything.
    Teacake2
    So what's the Deep South translation of, "Eyup y'mardi bogger." ?

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by teacake2 View Post
    My magic wand would be to go back to the days when we were in the hands of Social Services, regular visit every twelve months, easy to chat to, no hoops to constantly jump through, it was (for me anyway) so much easier and we were allowed to get on with playing with the children and not treating them as a commodity.
    Teacake2
    Wise words...I remember those days very well...and all child's centred !
    Glad to hear and I share your sentiments entirely!

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Change the focus from outcomes to process, in other words, get back to playing first and foremost as that is the way that children develop best. Play not education. It's every child's right and is being eroded by Ofsted and government interference.

28. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I would either have a clone of myself or an assistant that I didn't have to pay! Someone to do the cleaning and the staying on top of tidying, dishes, bottles and cooking for the littlies. That and to be ridiculously wealthy so I could buy resources without having to worry about it and an office standard printer/scanner for resources and files.

Ooh! And an extra room on my house so I wouldn't have to sacrifice my dining room to have a play room.

30. Likes Maza liked this post
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would love to go back to 1995 when i was a nanny. No paperwork,no ofsted, no worrying about targets.. just looking after the children, keeping them safe and providing them with lloads of opportunitiesto have fun and learn without development matters or eyo

:-)
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

32. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post