Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Waiting List

Registered Childminder since
    May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Waiting List

I had never had a waiting list until September when I suddenly had a waiting list for Wednesdays.

Anyway I managed to juggle one mindee and then another left so I could offer spaces to those on the list. One was a current parent, wanting to change days and another was a new parent.

However now I have offered the spaces they are not going to be taken up. Current parent's manager
    has said the swap won't now work and new parent has decided to look for a new job so will look at childcare once she knows what's happening there.

Is this usual that parents on waiting lists often then don't take up the space? I don't want to juggle current mindees in the future if it is!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

:-) quite often!

I find that people have particular childcare needs and say they will go on a waiting list, but whilst waiting they find other solutions or things change.

Good luck in filling those spaces xx

Sept 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, definitely. I tend to stick to the rule that nothing is set in stone without a signed contract and a deposit, that way I don't get disappointed- and also I then feel more comfortable allowing more than one family apply for a space, because I often find that someone will pull out due to work changes or finding a family member who will babysit!
    I'm sure something else will come along soon!

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

It's frustrating...but I've had it happen!!
    I haven't got a waiting list as such but I do have parents who want me to let them know when I have spaces become available before they're filled again...but it's not something I rely on.
    Here's hoping you can fill the spaces soon xx
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have always had one but never taken on a child from it!
    It is more of a way to gently let-down disappointed parents who phone me looking for a vacancy when I am full.
    By the time I do have a space they have had to find care elsewhere- it is rare that a family can literally 'wait' on a waiting list for you to have a space come up months down the line.

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your responses.

I agree that nothing is certain until set in stone until contracts are signed but as it is looking like it is quite usual I won't approach other parents about possibly moving if they can but just give waiting list families first refusal should a space happen to come up :-)

8. Likes moggy liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had a family approach me last January, through the grape vine. I didn't have a vacancy but they asked if they could go on a waiting list. I let them know each half term that the situation had not changed out of courtesy. I was amazed when I let them know in May that I would have vacancies in September that they immediately said yes, paid an advance payment and we proceeded to do visits, I really thought that they would probably have rethought their current childcare issues and not move the children.
    So sometimes waiting lists do work out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tealady View Post
    Thanks for your responses. I agree that nothing is certain until set in stone until contracts are signed but as it is looking like it is quite usual I won't approach other parents about possibly moving if they can but just give waiting list families first refusal should a space happen to come up :-)
    I have had this happen before alright it's frustrating, so before I actually ask a parent to swap i double check other parent does still require it, find we are always last to know lol! Hope you fill them soon. Xx