Who's given parents their holiday dates for 2016 yet??
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natlou82 View Post
    How annoying! I do think that sometimes the more we try and make like as easy as possible for our clients (you know really thinking about their needs) the more they think they can push it! Very selfish behaviour.
    Agreed.

Every time this sort of thing happens it crosses my mind to be a lot less generous all round. On reflection, it's usually just the odd client who takes advantage, and I can't bring myself to re-write the rules for everyone just because one person is being mean.

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear. Me, me, me, me and only me springs to mind. 'What you have other parents you would like to keep happy' plus 'where is my invite' and 'oh by the way can I change my days after Easter? Pretty please' eyelids fluttering. Noooooooo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Deep breath, count to ten, try to stay calm. My contracts say 4 weeks' notice of holiday either way, but I've always given clients lots of notice of my holiday dates, whilst accepting them giving me less than the 4 weeks on numerous occasions. My dates are largely dictated by the ones Mrs bunyip gets off from her "proper" job () : she usually has those confirmed by Christmas, although she'll still waiting this year, owing to a management snafu at her branch. In any case, I've never booked more than 10 days of my owning choosing in any year, though I'm sometimes lucky enough to get a bit more if the clients' choice of their holiday dates coincide IYSWIM. To minimise inconvenience to TTO clients, I also try to keep most or all of my closure dates within the school holidays, although I make it clear this won't always be the case. I also won't sign a contract with anyone who doesn't have a 'plan B' fall-back arrangement in case I get sick or need a day off when they still need to go to work, so nobody should ever be without childcare, even if it means they occasionally have to fall back on granny or similar. Parents don't pay for my holidays, nor their own (reasonable Ts&Cs apply). In short it's a far better deal for parents than any other childcare setting in my area. You'd think that would be acceptable. Read on..................... Lovely news: one set of parents announce their forthcoming wedding, and invite us to the reception. Time and distance will necessitate us closing for one day in order to attend. So I started notifying parents late last week: 5+ months notice for a 1-day closure. I'm furious. I told one mum and her response was, "Oh, that's in term-time. It's not very convenient: do you really have to go?" No? Oh, well I'll throw a wedding invitation back in someone's face just for your convenience shall I love? Or maybe see if they can't rearrange the entire wedding? What's doubly irritating is that in 2 years, I've never previously had to inconvenience this mum with my holiday dates. On top of that, she's already asked me about the possibilty of swapping her regular days after Easter, as her own work schedule may need to change - so there's a good chance the wedding trip won't affect her in the slightest. Sorry for the rant. I just don't believe how selfish people can be.
    Prob been too accommodating in past and she has got used to her cushy number. That sucks

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smurfette View Post
    Prob been too accommodating in past and she has got used to her cushy number. That sucks
    Not sure it's even that. I find she generally has trouble seeing beyond her own needs. I once had to ask her to collect her lo who had puked. Instead of her making the 20 minute drive from her workplace, she passed the message on to dad who had to leave a job half-finished and drive 60+ miles to get here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Not sure it's even that. I find she generally has trouble seeing beyond her own needs. I once had to ask her to collect her lo who had puked. Instead of her making the 20 minute drive from her workplace, she passed the message on to dad who had to leave a job half-finished and drive 60+ miles to get here.
    Wow!! 😱😱😱😱

Post Thanks / Like

Umm.. I'm sure we all have clients that struggle to see past the end of their own nose!

7. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natlou82 View Post
    Umm.. I'm sure we all have clients that struggle to see past the end of their own nose!
    Errr....yup! :-)

Simona Guest

Interesting thread as usual when it comes to parents looking closely at their contract....unfortunately many do not bother to read them and many believe it is just a piece of paper regardless of the fact they sign on the dotted line.
    Hence that important 1st visit when they drop by to look at our setting...we interview them so we make sure they understand 'our rules'

before becoming a cm I ran a preschool...same contract more or less as it has evolved through the years...same rules about holidays...never a problem

So why I never had a problem with preschool parents but often had a few with c/minding ones?...I say a few because my contract is really very clear on holidays

Can parents really argue against notice for leave?...anyone employed or employing other people know for a fact we need to give each other notice as per contract!!

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

So I've just told parents that I'm away for a few days in April (only missing 2 days for each family)

One family perfectly fine with it, another one comes back with 'it's not ideal for me'

I've given them 12 weeks notice! In my contracts it said I only need to give 4.

It baffles me why parents don't have back up plans in place, I could phone them one morning sick etc.

11. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I find it theses that you help the most that make a fuss the most when we change something.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I find it theses that you help the most that make a fuss the most when we change something.
    It most certainly is isn't it. I have bent over backwards for certain families in the not too distant past but eventually realised that these parents were all take take take and never give back. Needless to say they are no longer families of mine and I now only do things IF they suit me. Remember most families wouldn't give a jot about letting us down, it's only us who care too much

xx

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=bunyip;1415569] Deep breath, count to ten, try to stay calm.

You'd think that would be acceptable. Read on.....................

Lovely news: one set of parents announce their forthcoming wedding, and invite us to the reception. Time and distance will necessitate us closing for one day in order to attend. So I started notifying parents late last week: 5+ months notice for a 1-day closure.

you just reminded me we have a week day wedding to attend in July - I had better let all parents know today

Post Thanks / Like

I have given half of mine plan to give other half this months invoice or next at latest ( don't know why as I can give as little as 4 weeks notice but rather get then out there ) we are planning to go to Sydney over chritsmas and new year all being well x

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I take 6 weeks a year plus Bank Hols all unpaid. I have a mixture of term time and all year contracts so cannot cater to everyone so I therefore take my holidays when I want to. I always take 2 at Christmas and usually 1 in January as we go skiing which we've just had. This year i'm taking 2wks in August for a summer hol but am also going away with my cousin from Canada to hopefully Barcelona. This is going to be in school time though as its cheaper and I don't want lots of kids around (leaving my kids home with hubby for the first time). Haven't gave summer or other dates yet until I know for definite but try to give as much notice as possible.
    love Sarah.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12