Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Safeguarding questions - and answers - Ofsted

This blog was inspired by a recent question on the Independent Childminders Facebook page - a member wanted to know about recent Ofsted safeguarding questions during inspection -

Safeguarding questions from recent Ofsted inspections - Independent Childminders

I hope you find it helpful

Note - information and links checked and up-to-date 01.2016

2. Likes bunyip, Maza, Daisy1956, Bumble Beez liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Sarah. i have everything in place so it's good to know I'm on the right path.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    This blog was inspired by a recent question on the Independent Childminders Facebook page - a member wanted to know about recent Ofsted safeguarding questions during inspection - Safeguarding questions from recent Ofsted inspections - Independent Childminders I hope you find it helpful Note - information and links checked and up-to-date 01.2016
    Thank you sarah. I have a safeguarding file which would be my first port of call if I had any concerns about abuse etc but can I refer to this and tell the inspector this on the day of inspection or do I have to be able to recall everything in my policy etc without looking? Thank you :-)

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Sarah -

like MOH it was useful to check I have everything in place

have printed it as a 'crib' sheet, along with contact details/relevant local information as my mind goes blank when asked these sorts of things!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Thank you sarah. I have a safeguarding file which would be my first port of call if I had any concerns about abuse etc but can I refer to this and tell the inspector this on the day of inspection or do I have to be able to recall everything in my policy etc without looking? Thank you :-)
    Most inspectors will let you refer to your paperwork - but some say as it's safeguarding you should know it... no telling which inspector you will get...

7. Likes mumofone liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Another excellent blog article there Sarah.

This equates very closely with my most recent inspection of November 2015. My inspector did not ask all these questions, but did seem to be checking that much of Sarah's list was covered by my policy.

She also checked that my assistant (Mrs Bunyip) could answer a few safeguarding questions of a practical nature. ie. What might raise her suspicions? What would she do if concerned? Whistleblowing?

My inspector commented that one big plus was that I had drawn up my own in-house training notes for an assistant, as well as having all safeguarding material in a dedicated folder which both I and Mrs B can refer to at any time.

9. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Another excellent blog article there Sarah. This equates very closely with my most recent inspection of November 2015. My inspector did not ask all these questions, but did seem to be checking that much of Sarah's list was covered by my policy. She also checked that my assistant (Mrs Bunyip) could answer a few safeguarding questions of a practical nature. ie. What might raise her suspicions? What would she do if concerned? Whistleblowing? My inspector commented that one big plus was that I had drawn up my own in-house training notes for an assistant, as well as having all safeguarding material in a dedicated folder which both I and Mrs B can refer to at any time.
    Hey bunyip, did we know you'd been inspected that recently? Dyou have any feedback from it? Sorry if i missed it :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Most inspectors will let you refer to your paperwork - but some say as it's safeguarding you should know it... no telling which inspector you will get...
    Good point! Thanks Sarah! Best get studying..! ;-)

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey bunyip, did we know you'd been inspected that recently? Dyou have any feedback from it? Sorry if i missed it :-)
    I posted at the time.

What do you want to know? "Feedback" is such a broad term (................... but then I'm a very broad childminder............. it must be all the ale and pork scratchings.)

Post Thanks / Like

I posted at the time. What do you want to know? "Feedback" is such a broad term (................... but then I'm a very broad childminder............. it must be all the ale and pork scratchings.)
    Oh sorry, I can't find it.

The usual- how it went, what they focused on, did you have to do a joint observation, what did they want to see, how did it go, any tips etc...

Post Thanks / Like

You can tell me to mind my own business if you'd like!! ;-)

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

As well as the phone numbers for my local authority, I have also printed off the details from a neighbouring authority, as one of my children lives in the next borough.

When I had my last inspection, I discussed if the the inspector often saw cut and pasted safeguarding details. She replied that she saw that many childminders ( no matter where they lived) would contact Bromley Social Services. This was in the days when the Bromley Childminding Association was the go to place for information and policies.
    I think this example is still valid, if childminders cut and paste from Facebook forums etc.

16. Likes Maza, Daisy1956 liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for this, I'm probably the only one but I've not managed to update my policies to include prevent etc yet, it's on a long list of things to do, your blog is printed and it's so helpful to have it all in one place now I can work through it and tick things off as they're done and not worry I'm missing something.
    Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah - very useful!

Going to print off and double check I've everything in place.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Simona Guest

Another excellent blog article there Sarah.

This equates very closely with my most recent inspection of November 2015. My inspector did not ask all these questions, but did seem to be checking that much of Sarah's list was covered by my policy.

She also checked that my assistant (Mrs Bunyip) could answer a few safeguarding questions of a practical nature. ie. What might raise her suspicions? What would she do if concerned? Whistleblowing?

My inspector commented that one big plus was that I had drawn up my own in-house training notes for an assistant, as well as having all safeguarding material in a dedicated folder which both I and Mrs B can refer to at any time.
    How funny Bunyip...recently I spoke to a cm who was inspected at roughly the same time as you.
    Her inspector asked many many questions...by her description she was 'grilled'...the cm was not surprised as that is how it should be.

I suppose it will depend on the inspector on the day?
    The CIF has put a different focus on Safeguarding...also Safeguarding and Child Protection as you know go hand in hand ...the latter requiring different action from the former as it falls under its umbrella....both very important.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k1rstie View Post
    As well as the phone numbers for my local authority, I have also printed off the details from a neighbouring authority, as one of my children lives in the next borough.

When I had my last inspection, I discussed if the the inspector often saw cut and pasted safeguarding details. She replied that she saw that many childminders ( no matter where they lived) would contact Bromley Social Services. This was in the days when the Bromley Childminding Association was the go to place for information and policies.
    I think this example is still valid, if childminders cut and paste from Facebook forums etc.
    Wow, I hadn't thought of that - one of my old little ones was also from the neighbouring authority. Thank you for bringing that to my attention!

The Bromley example is a shocker! I used a lot of their templates too but definitely put in my own relevant details.

21. Likes mumofone liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Wow, I hadn't thought of that - one of my old little ones was also from the neighbouring authority. Thank you for bringing that to my attention!

The Bromley example is a shocker! I used a lot of their templates too but definitely put in my own relevant details.
    I think cms need to look at LAs who are now merging and combining their 'children's services'...my LA is a prime example because they have done just so with the neighbouring LA ...but...each LA will still have its own LSCB and its Director of Children's Services.

The number we require to have in our Child Protection portfolio for EYFS purposes is the one of the Team we need to contact in case of concerns...these teams have different names across the country and open 24 hrs a day ...the LSCB in each LA will also have details on the website of procedures and, possibly, even a 'model' safeguarding policy from which we can quote....I always had a copy of it alongside my own.

Worth checking that out...good luck!

23. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh sorry, I can't find it.

The usual- how it went, what they focused on, did you have to do a joint observation, what did they want to see, how did it go, any tips etc...
    My mistake, my apologies. I posted a link to the pertinent thread, but admin had to remove my post becuase it was originally in the 'green' members' zone, and therefore utterly useless to non-greenies.

(Stoopid me! )

I'll PM you with a copy/paste of the most relevant post from that thread...................... which will also save the members from a re-run of my inspection and me hijacking this thread entirely.

(I can hear the sighs of utter relief all round. )

25. Likes mumofone liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

@Mumofone

Ah...............problem.

I can't send you a private message until you've cleared your message inbox: I got one of those messages from the PM system when I tried to send it.

Sorry everyone else: I really am hijacking, but I didn't mean to you.

...................talk amongst yourselves.

27. Likes mumofone liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

@Mumofone

Ah...............problem.

I can't send you a private message until you've cleared your message inbox: I got one of those messages from the PM system when I tried to send it.

Sorry everyone else: I really am hijacking, but I didn't mean to you.

...................talk amongst yourselves.
    Could you please send it to me as well?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast