Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Sick child

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sick child

Hi guys I had a child age 3 off last week for a chest infection she returned Monday yesterday very pale and weak mum asks she can be pushed in a buggy and to rest at my house... What's your opinions please I don't think she should be with me.
    Thanks

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

May I add she is not eating any food
    Thank you

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smileyface View Post
    May I add she is not eating any food
    Thank you
    We always say if we are worried about a child they shouldn't be with us.It's not fair on the child or childminder but it is also hard for parents who feel they can't take time off work.

Sept 13
    Post Thanks / Like

My policy is that I accept ill children (apart from very infectious or feverish), provided they are able to take part in the regular routines of the day, including outdoor activities and walking school runs in all weathers. However, I'd have no problem allowing a 3yr old sit in a buggy, I do it now as our school run is particularly long and we don't have much time getting from one school to the other. However, if it meant putting a 3yr old in triple buggy then that would be too much for my back, so if that's the case for you you could say it's just too heavy for you so s/he would have to walk, and if they can't then can't come unfortunately (in a nicer way than I've put it!). You could maybe say you'll take them but have to carry out regular activities for the sake of other mindees, including outdoor play together and attending local play groups- tell mum LO can come and try it out, but if s/he is struggling then you'll ring mum to collect? Basically let mum know you don't alter activities for illness because yours is a working setting for well children.
    On the flip side, if s/he's your only mindee that day then I'd just go with it personally as no harm done.
    I'd consider rewording your sickness policy to account for situations like this, it's actually what I did last night!

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Its a hard one as the child has been off for a week so Mum has tried to be away from work.

Can you accommodate the child pushchair snuggles on the settee. If yes I would probably take her

Parents are caught between a rock and a hard place
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I would do it if they were the only LO I had that day but if I had others then I'd say no, if they can't participate in normal routine and activities it's not fair on them.