Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default child talking about running away from home

Hi I am just looking for some advice on how to approach this as a child was talking to my other mindees about running away from home he is 8 years old. I have spoken to him about it this morning. He has moved home and school and missing everyone and blames mum. So I'm just wondering what everyone else would do in this instance. I have made teacher aware this morning aswel.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nat222 View Post
    Hi I am just looking for some advice on how to approach this as a child was talking to my other mindees about running away from home he is 8 years old. I have spoken to him about it this morning. He has moved home and school and missing everyone and blames mum. So I'm just wondering what everyone else would do in this instance. I have made teacher aware this morning aswel.
    That is a good thing to do ...but you must also contact the parents and tell them what you heard...please record it in your file...and tell parents you have informed the teacher
    Cover yourself
    The child has moved and therefore going through a transition...he needs support and if not getting reassurance he will blame others for it.

3. Likes lollipop kid, ziggy liked this post
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    That is a good thing to do ...but you must also contact the parents and tell them what you heard...please record it in your file...and tell parents you have informed the teacher
    Cover yourself
    The child has moved and therefore going through a transition...he needs support and if not getting reassurance he will blame others for it.
    Adding to what Simona said, it might also be an idea to consider doing an 'incident' report for the other mindees' parents, as they probably should be made aware that their children have heard what the child said, as the other children may be confused/concerned.

I hope it helps,

LK

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Also on the file you could write how you plan to help the child 'settle in' to your setting, include their favourite foods, get the other children to play with them so they feel included, find out their current interests etc, so you can show you are working in partnership with the parent/s to solve his anguish. Best of luck.

6. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also a good idea to talk about where to run to, we all feel like running away at times, it does happen and if it does it's good to know the child knows a safe place to come to. I also think a wise parent will set up a safe place that the child knows, just in case.

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

I moved from the midlands to the south when I had just turned 14, then within months my parents separated.
    I can still remember how bad I felt, isolated, lonely etc. No one at school asked me how I was getting on. I can remember thinking about running away, moving back, plus much worse thoughts.

How brilliant that you are there for your child, and care enough to ask for advise on here.

25 years later, I am still carrying some of the baggage from those times.