Spending Review and EY funding announcement
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Simona Guest

Default Spending Review and EY funding announcement

Tomorrow we will hear what the new funding will be for 'free' childcare....this is just an alert ...if you needed one
    For those interested it will be at 12.30pm

I am sure many providers are holding their breath and see whether the promise of an increase in funding actually materialises

2. Likes AgentTink, BallyH, Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Am I right in thinking the 'from-the-Gov' figure, though, is not what we actually get (in the current situation anyway) as the LA cream off a chunk for their own use? Do we know what the current national from-the-Gov figure is, to compare to what they tell us tomorrow? IYSWIM? I suspect it will all be as clear as mud as usual...
    Last edited by moggy; 24-11-2015 at 08:34 PM.

4. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    Am I right in thinking the 'from-the-Go' figure, though, is not what we actually get (in the current situation anyway) as the LA cream off a chunk for their own use? Do we know what the current national from-the-Gov figure is, to compare to what they tell us tomorrow? IYSWIM? I suspect it will all be as clear as mud as usual...
    I know it's not easy to find the actual figure because I've looked before. I just know it's a lot more than our LA pays us.

6. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    Am I right in thinking the 'from-the-Gov' figure, though, is not what we actually get (in the current situation anyway) as the LA cream off a chunk for their own use? Do we know what the current national from-the-Gov figure is, to compare to what they tell us tomorrow? IYSWIM? I suspect it will all be as clear as mud as usual...
    My understanding is that the 'new' funding is not known as yet...see what Osborne is left with after spending so much on defence and asking LAs to cut budget by up to 30%...and also having to backtrack on tax credits

If the new funding goes to the LAs...and I think Gyimah in his recent speech said it will ...and the LAs cream off again ...then the whole thing has been a waste of time and effort!...then we may be at war

I heard there may be variations...with London getting a bit more...but they maybe just wishful thinking!

I have my seat booked for tomorrow at 12.30 pm...fingers and everything else crossed!!

I have a figure in mind that tight Osborne may announce ...wish I could bet on it!

Sorry to ask ...but what is IYSWIM? I see it a lot but have not worked it out

Mouse...the current figure should be £5.09...which was announced by Truss with much fanfare...I sat a few rows in front of her when she said that....some get nowhere near that!:
    Last edited by Simona; 24-11-2015 at 09:32 PM.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If You See What I Mean :-)

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    If You See What I Mean :-)
    Crickey... how could I not have worked that out.
    Getting old!
    Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Tomorrow we will hear what the new funding will be for 'free' childcare....this is just an alert ...if you needed one For those interested it will be at 12.30pm I am sure many providers are holding their breath and see whether the promise of an increase in funding actually materialises
    I'll be on a school run at that time but trust you'll be feeding back to us! :-) She said hoping...! X

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Mouse...the current figure should be £5.09...which was announced by Truss with much fanfare...I sat a few rows in front of her when she said that....some get nowhere near that!:
    Thank you Simona. I knew it was £5 something, but it's very hard to find the actual figure anywhere.

I'm sure a new figure will be announced with great fanfare, but the real interest will be in the detail - will the LA continue to keep a percentage, will there be any limits on how much they can keep or any guarantees on how much providers actually get?
    Unless some sort of ring-fencing is put in place I can see it all being a pointless exercise.

12. Likes AliceK liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Thank you Simona. I knew it was £5 something, but it's very hard to find the actual figure anywhere.

I'm sure a new figure will be announced with great fanfare, but the real interest will be in the detail - will the LA continue to keep a percentage, will there be any limits on how much they can keep or any guarantees on how much providers actually get?
    Unless some sort of ring-fencing is put in place I can see it all being a pointless exercise.
    Yes, what, up the payment so the LA's can keep the difference! I hope they don't just announce a price and leave us having to find out individually how much our LA's will be offering.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moh View Post
    Yes, what, up the payment so the LA's can keep the difference! I hope they don't just announce a price and leave us having to find out individually how much our LA's will be offering.
    oh im sure that's exactly what they will do. Announce a high rate ...let the public know how much they are putting into the scheme , let the public think we are rolling in it , .....whilst the reality will be very very different.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

Give me a little time and I will go find that toolkit...it is on the DfE website.

One thing we must remember is this:
    The current funding we get for 15 hours free childcare was announced at the spending review in the past and covers 2015-2016 ....so what the LAs are giving us now has already been given to them a long time ago.
    They do cream off and govt is well aware of it but did nothing.

The announcement today will be for the allocation to LAs for 2016-2017 and so on...I think it starts Sept 2016...that will cover the 30 hours of childcare that implementers will get ...it will also cover allocations to charities I think.

The only thing we can do is wait ...then I think the real debate will begin...there has been no talk of ring-fencing childcare funding again...it was ring-fenced until this govt took over in 2010.

In the end we can call their bluff....poor funding means the govt goes deeper in trouble as already they have not enough providers and not enough childcare spaces...the Ofsted statistics yesterday are a real alarm bell and big providers are reporting trouble in recruiting people because of the GCSE demand on Level 3.

If LAs cream off again and we agree to their funding then they win again.

Truss's More Great Childcare ...was and still is... nothing more than hot air...if we don't start acting now we will be losing more and more cms

My association has a Divisional meeting in early December and the funding is on the agenda and I am going to put my views forward.

Mama2three...the reality is different and I personally think we have allowed parents and the general public to believe in this free childcare saga.....few parents are aware of how we subsidise it...often the poor subsidise the better off.
    I don't think it will happen again...the sector has learnt its lesson although there are 'some settings' queuing up to offer the 30 hours....I wonder why?

Will Ofsted come out in support of providers ?
    Last edited by Simona; 25-11-2015 at 09:51 AM.

Simona Guest

Simona Guest

After all the hype all that was announced was a 6bn investment in childcare for the 30 hours.
    No new funding rate announced so far...so calculators will be doing the sums now.

Utter rubbish!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

After all the hype all that was announced was a 6bn investment in childcare for the 30 hours.
    No new funding rate announced so far...so calculators will be doing the sums now.

Utter rubbish!
    Thanks for the update Simona. I've been manically busy and haven't had time to look.

I really didn't expect an actual figure to be announced, so it's no surprise that we're none the wiser. I assume they'll wait until all the trials are done with the early implementers before they even think of putting a figure on it.

Ah well, back to the waiting and wondering.

Simona Guest

The 30 hours will be ONLY for parents who work 16 hours.
    One of the issues being debated now is how providers check 'eligible' parents are working...this is not clear but I would assume the 'implementers' will get to that point in September 2016.

How will they implement this policy not knowing how much they get is a mystery.
    Free school meals and EYPP are protected

All in all Osborne announced this in less that a minute...in one sentence in fact...all we were promised did not materialise...so you are right Mouse we keep waiting

Simona Guest

Just to add that 15 hours in for all families
    The additional 15 hours only if they work 16 hours...so it is a push for parents to get to work .

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Foundation Years on facebook just said:

George Osbourne has announced that eligibility for free 30 hours childcare for 3 and 4 year olds has changed. Free childcare will now be available to 3 and 4 year olds whose parents work at least 16 hours a week and are on less than £100,000 a year. He also committed £300 million for the free 30 hours childcare. The funding rate will be announced later today.

So, more to come... (I am still predicting the clarity of mud)

Simona Guest

Yes...I am following PLA's feed on twitter for the latest updates.

I think that before parents had to work 8 hours ...now it is 16?

The funding rate will be announced in the Childcare Bill apparently which is taking place at the same time today.
    There is also a mention of a new National Funding Formula

Parents also have to work 16 hours to claim the Tax Free Childcare and ...yes...each can earn up to £100,000

More to follow!

Simona Guest

Just released by the DfE...despite what appears to be an increase in funding there is also a savings of £215m...crafty!

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/d...ng-review-2015

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

'doubling free childcare from 15 hours to 30 hours a week for working families of 3- and 4-year-olds, worth up to £5,000 per child per year from September 2017, and investing over £1 billion more a year by 2019 to 2020 on free childcare places for 2-, 3- and 4-year-olds'

So, with my dodgy maths...

'up to' £5000 per child per year
    divided by 38 term-time weeks a year = £131.58 per week
    divided by 30 hours a week = £4.38 per hour ????

Please do correct my maths or my reckoning if I am way off here, but that is not an increase? (especially with LA creaming off some before it even gets to us)

?

I hope someone can explain this soon...

25. Likes loocyloo liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast