Christmas presents...anywhere to get cheap but nice hair bits/jewellery?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Christmas presents...anywhere to get cheap but nice hair bits/jewellery?

I've got 10 mindees to buy for, aged 2-7 and am trying to get myself organised with Xmas gifts.
    I don't have a massive budget for each, so have got most a book, older ones a little game, but would like to get something small extra - boys are fine, I have a boy myself! It's the girls, the older ones would love little hair accessory or jewellery, is there anywhere that sells little bits for £1-2?! Am I living in a dream world?! Had a quick look in town today and things were nearer the £5 mark and were nothing special!

What are others doing for Xmas gifts?

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking of getting some little Christmas decorations such as:

Felt Owl Hanging Decoration 8 Cm | Hobbycraft

and sewing an old-fashioned 'Kirby' grip on the back, to make a little hairslide.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blonde-Kirby...rds=kirby+grip

Pop one in a little pretty bag or box for the child, and you're done.

Hope it helps,

LK

3. Likes Maza liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alex__17 View Post
    I've got 10 mindees to buy for, aged 2-7 and am trying to get myself organised with Xmas gifts.
    I don't have a massive budget for each, so have got most a book, older ones a little game, but would like to get something small extra - boys are fine, I have a boy myself! It's the girls, the older ones would love little hair accessory or jewellery, is there anywhere that sells little bits for £1-2?! Am I living in a dream world?! Had a quick look in town today and things were nearer the £5 mark and were nothing special!

What are others doing for Xmas gifts?
    Have you tried Claires (if you have one near to you) they sometimes run special offers. Primark etc also can be cheap for accessories
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lollipop kid View Post
    I was thinking of getting some little Christmas decorations such as:

Felt Owl Hanging Decoration 8 Cm | Hobbycraft

and sewing an old-fashioned 'Kirby' grip on the back, to make a little hairslide.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blonde-Kirby...rds=kirby+grip

Pop one in a little pretty bag or box for the child, and you're done.

Hope it helps,

LK
    That is a lovely idea and simple.

I've been looking today for hair bits/jewellery for dd and haven't found anything nice. (At a price I'm prepared to pay!)

6. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    That is a lovely idea and simple.

I've been looking today for hair bits/jewellery for dd and haven't found anything nice. (At a price I'm prepared to pay!)
    I buy my niece a new decoration for the tree every year and yet I have never thought of buying one for mindees
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

8. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Love the owl idea on a hair clip, may do that, and I don't know why primarks didn't cross my mind!
    I did pop into Claire's the other day and the couple of Alice bands/hair clip sets I looked at were £5.99!! Seemed a lot for something that wasn't that amazing and it's iust a little extra pressie.
    Annoyingly I was only in hobbycraft this afternoon...! I don't need much excuse to pop back but it costs a fortune as I buy so much stuff I never intended to buy each time I go in!
    Thanks for idea though :-)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm reluctant to do presents any more after my ungrateful 6 year old mindee turned her nose up at her birthday present I bought her, opened it, said hmm ive got that already, no thank you, no thanks from the parents. I'm not going to bother again!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If I was looking for something for £1 I'd probably start in a pound shop.

I am, on the one hand, very organised: I don't wait until Christmas, but pick up presents all year round as I see them.

On the other hand, I invariably get to December and find I have 10 presents suitable for one child and nothing for the others.

12. Likes Maza, lollipop kid, loocyloo liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Bunyip that's exactly what I've done, I've been buying bits as I see them but have a load for 3 year old boys (which is what my son is so I find easy!) and younger and nothing much for older ones! I will try pound shop too, but I'm liking the felt owls as they don't look like pound shop if that makes sense!

Sep06
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with mumofone. This will be the first Christmas where i probably won't buy any mindees a present, only for birthdays. I really think that parents don't expect you to and actually don't give it a 2nd thought (especially if they don't buy for you) my hard earnt money is often going on a child who then ends up leaving unexpectedly / temporary childcare, or a parent that doesn't say thanks, or an ungrateful child.

Also in the past i have given a child a present and then i could tell by the parents reaction that they really weren't expecting it and that they then felt guilty as they didn't even think of little old me, as they too have other people higher up on their list to buy for! I don't give to receive,but i also don't give to end up being totally broke until the payday after that payday! For now i no longer pay tax as my earnings is under the threshold,so it doesn't make a difference if i put it all in my accounts book.

My current mindees are before/after school (and not a full 5 days) and only started this Sept, whilst the other child is too young to appreciate it. I know i can buy cheap things,but then cheap isn't always that good,and even buying cheap can add up if you have a few to buy for. have enough to buy / shop around for with my young family and friends.Last Christmas a parent bought me a lovely gift and said a big thankyou to me and a Happy Christmas, whilst another 2 sets of parents gave me nothing,not even a card. I have all new kids this year. Parents always seem grateful for me looking after their child,but i don't think i am high up on their list of people to buy for!
    Don't get me wrong, i am fond of my mindees,and grateful they are with me, but where do you draw the line?
    Last edited by Snowwhite; 22-11-2015 at 10:01 PM.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've bought all mine books from either the works or book people (collections) I try and give books that we've read and the children enjoy.
    I'm buying for 12 mindees but haven't spent more than a couple of £each.

From past experience most of the parents will say thank you and I do get cards or something from parents, or my children do! I don't make a fuss giving it to the child, I just put it in their bag on their last day before Christmas along with their Christmas crafts and say ' there is a little something to pop under the tree '

16. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I have bought all my mindees personalised pyjamas.
    They only cosy £5 or £6 a pair from the studio catalogue. I also went to home bargains and bought a ceramic christmas shaped plate and used sharpies (and an oven) to personalise the plate and decorate it... All my parents are grateful for me and I always get a present at Christmas from them and some even remember my birthday it's nice they remember
    Tess1981

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm on the look out too for presents under £3 as I have 17 children. even at £3 per child that's a whopping £51 on pressies

I'm off to look on the hobbycraft website
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Take a look on books for bugs website, they do lovely books for £1 or £2.50 each and delivery now if you're not local