Christmas closing
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Christmas closing

Hi all sorry if there is already a thread I haven't been on in a while!

My kids finish school the 22nd (Tuesday) and aren't back until wed the 6th. I normally try and close about two weeks finishing the 23rd and back the 2nd or so of January.. But the way it falls it won't be two weeks this year. None of my parents are stuck as work from home or have family but mightn't be best pleased if I don't reopen the 4th.. The one most likely to be not pleased / need me is new but been told they can't have a Friday off (which is my day off) so it's possible I will lose him in new year .. Because I can't co ordinate my day off with mums which means they need to cover care for me on a Friday and won't need me one of the days I have him now. So I may be worrying over nothing if he is leaving, or I may push them over the edge lol!

What's everyone else taking?

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My last working day is 23rd and I start again on the 4th. I book all my days off around the end of Jan so parents have all year to arrange alternative care if they need to.

xx

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My last day is the 22nd & I go back on the 4th. Can't wait. I love Christmas. I told my parents around June time.

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AliceK View Post
    My last working day is 23rd and I start again on the 4th. I book all my days off around the end of Jan so parents have all year to arrange alternative care if they need to.

xx
    I do the same give all parents my holiday list in Jan ☺
    Tess1981

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I finish on Tuesday 22nd (though I'm hoping it's actually Thursday 17th as I know certain parents are finishing then!) and go back on Thursday 7th when the schools go back.

Usually I say I'm around in the holidays if anyone needs me but I point blank refuse to do it in the Christmas holidays, if that makes me selfish then so be it!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was planning on finishing on the 18th and not going back till the 5th (I don't work Mondays)

But I think I'm going to work the 22nd and then I need to finish at 3pm on the 23rd. ( Dd& I are going to the Ballet:-) ) I'm not working 24th or between Christmas and New Year.

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I work till Xmas eve. then go back first working day in Jan. I always book the time off at the beginning of the year. The past two years it's worked out to nearly 2 weeks but it's only a week this year

8. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I take 2 weeks over Christmas so always finish around the 19th.
    Mainly because I need to de clutter the house, do my Christmas shopping, etc.
    Parents are given my holidays for the year in January, so plenty of notice

Post Thanks / Like

I am closing the 23rd and back on the 4th, I'm ready for some family time :-)

Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

My last day is 23rd and back on 4th Jan. Very much looking forward to the break.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Like Kiddlywinks, prep for Christmas is a must....I need a big huge mega put away so that all the family and in laws can fit in so I take the full Christmas holidays - my parents are teachers so it works out ok....last year I offered to have a child on one day, thinking it would be ok to bake and make the flowers and holly decorations with them ( all toys disappeared within an hour of last mindee leaving) ...but I just resented my nice Christmas feeling and relaxing preparations being invaded by having to make child friendly versions... So never again!
    I do think the important theme to come out of this thread is to tell parents way in advance, which seems to stop any parent complaints.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    Like Kiddlywinks, prep for Christmas is a must....I need a big huge mega put away so that all the family and in laws can fit in so I take the full Christmas holidays - my parents are teachers so it works out ok....last year I offered to have a child on one day, thinking it would be ok to bake and make the flowers and holly decorations with them ( all toys disappeared within an hour of last mindee leaving) ...but I just resented my nice Christmas feeling and relaxing preparations being invaded by having to make child friendly versions... So never again!
    I do think the important theme to come out of this thread is to tell parents way in advance, which seems to stop any parent complaints.
    Yes, sometimes it isn't about the fact that you only have one mindee - you have to have your professional head on whether you have one or twenty. We need a complete break from wearing our professional head! And a break from health and safety being at the forefront of your mind.

14. Likes BallyH, FloraDora liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all, decision made, am closing at 530 on the 22nd and reopening on the 6th Jan as that's when the girls are back., first time ever I have been able to swing to take the whole of their holidays so looking forward to it! Of my four parents one only needs me term time, one is shift ad hoc and have family to help, one is pregnant and leaving anyway so am not worried about annoying her (because that's
    What it always comes down to in my head.. Weighing parents being annoyed / inconvenienced against what I want) and the other didn't get her four day week on the days she wanted so it means dad will
    Have to take a Friday off as that's my day off and I will lose him at least one other day possibly altogether.. And really when my kids grow up will I think about these parents and what they wanted or that I had the Time with my kids?! Feels good !!

16. Likes BallyH, AgentTink, AliceK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good for you :-) I'm so ready for my break!

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I sent a text to parents today to ask who will be attending the 21st December ( my last day before I close for almost 2 weeks) if a certain couple of parents were not coming I was going to tell other mother ( who is very flexible at the moment as she not working because she just had her second baby) that I was not going to have any children that day so was going to close but one parent needs me that day so might as well have the others here. Thought I was getting the chance to have an extra day off all parents get my holiday list in January which I find works well
    Tess1981

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am open on the Tues & Wed between Xmas and new year - that way I can charge the parents who don't want to come and I don't lose any of my 4 week holiday entitlement, backfired slightly in that one parent has said she will send her child, so I may just have the one but at least I'm being paid for 3.

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    I am open on the Tues & Wed between Xmas and new year - that way I can charge the parents who don't want to come and I don't lose any of my 4 week holiday entitlement, backfired slightly in that one parent has said she will send her child, so I may just have the one but at least I'm being paid for 3.
    I've tried this in the past and all 3 ended up coming. Parents at home! No thanks not this year. Need a break.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moh View Post

I've tried this in the past and all 3 ended up coming. Parents at home! No thanks not this year. Need a break.
    Same here!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am working this year between Christmas and new year as my dh will be away working as he works offshore , they don't stop for Christmas. The families I look after work at the local hospital so they are still working too so they really appreciate that I will be open. Not everyone has the luxury of holidays at Christmas even retail staff are lucky if they get more than 1 day off with all the Boxing day sales starting.
    Pixie Dust

23. Likes hectors house liked this post
    sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie dust View Post
    I am working this year between Christmas and new year as my dh will be away working as he works offshore , they don't stop for Christmas. The families I look after work at the local hospital so they are still working too so they really appreciate that I will be open. Not everyone has the luxury of holidays at Christmas even retail staff are lucky if they get more than 1 day off with all the Boxing day sales starting.
    Thus is were we get a lot of criticism I feel. Everyone needs a break from working and everyone takes the holidays they are entitled to. Christmas holidays suit me as I do not have a day of from beginning of September and by then I'm exhausted and ready for it... I want to spend my time visiting family and friends and having my Christmas decorations up with a roaring fire no fire guard surround and enjoying all the wee ornaments sitting around with no little people to worry about burning themselves or touching anything. I can't please all my parents with holiday time so I please myself
    Tess1981

25. Likes hectors house liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast