Weekly/monthly registers
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Weekly/monthly registers

Hi guys. For the last 3 years of childminding I've kept a monthly register (time on time out type thing) I get parents to sign roughly every month but often forget as some are in such a rush at pick up time! I was told when I started its seen as good practice and I've found it helpful when doing my tax return but do I really need to get parents to sign?? (That's the bit that's bugging me) is it a requirement?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty B View Post
    Hi guys. For the last 3 years of childminding I've kept a monthly register (time on time out type thing) I get parents to sign roughly every month but often forget as some are in such a rush at pick up time! I was told when I started its seen as good practice and I've found it helpful when doing my tax return but do I really need to get parents to sign?? (That's the bit that's bugging me) is it a requirement?
    Can I ask why it helps when doing you're tax return?

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My parents don't sign mine as I kept forgetting and then it fizzled out but I read a story on here (think is was RickySmiths) where a parent had questioned a time/day or something like that...and because parent had signed the register she was able to prove that the child was in attendance that day and had attended the hours stated.

I cant quite remember the whole story but it seemed to make a lot of sense at the time, even though I don't get mine to sign
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Can I ask why it helps when doing you're tax return?
    It's just handy to refer back to if I'm unsure of hours a particular child has done

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    My parents don't sign mine as I kept forgetting and then it fizzled out but I read a story on here (think is was RickySmiths) where a parent had questioned a time/day or something like that...and because parent had signed the register she was able to prove that the child was in attendance that day and had attended the hours stated. I cant quite remember the whole story but it seemed to make a lot of sense at the time, even though I don't get mine to sign
    I thought OFSTED were now making it obligatory to keep a register and for parents to sign?

Simona Guest

It depends on why you want the parents to sign the attendance register?
    is there a requirement anywhere for this...or as you say just 'good practice'?
    a tick on your register is evidence of attendance
    I am unclear why you need it for your tax return?

if you need to verify attendance against what the parents pay that is easily done against your bank statement should they query it?.

One thing that may change in future...just a guess at the moment...is the use of EYPP...providers have to evidence how they use it and how it is closing the gap...again attendance is of importance but I have not seen a request for parents to countersign.

EYPP will show as income for the provider but will have to also show as an expense
    I would also guess the LAs will enter the scene requesting this form or that ...as I have seen...as Ofsted will ask about attendance at inspection.

Good question...lots of reflection!!

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought OFSTED were now making it obligatory to keep a register and for parents to sign?
    You have to keep a register of days/hours attended plus when a chikd is sick or on holiday. My understanding is the timings have to be precise ie 8.14am. We also have to be on the lookout for a pattern of non attendance under safeguarding. My parents don't sign it.

8. Likes AliceK liked this post
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It's just handy to refer back to if I'm unsure of hours a particular child has done
    I put food through per child...so 50p for snack, £1.50 per lunch etc so I do use my register to do my tax.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MOH View Post
    You have to keep a register of days/hours attended plus when a chikd is sick or on holiday. My understanding is the timings have to be precise ie 8.14am. We also have to be on the lookout for a pattern of non attendance under safeguarding. My parents don't sign it.
    Can you be so kind and point us to where this requirement is written? maybe in a guidance? or a LA's condition?...maybe I have missed this.

We agree we need to keep a register...cms have done so for 35 years... but does it have to be countersigned by parents?
    Schools do not have that request and they too have to monitor attendance...the CIF is now 'common practice' to EY and education so why the different request?

Yes we have to look out for non attendance pattern....as do schools....and we had to do that before but would that require parents' signature? or can it be done our own way without adding additional bureaucracy or paperwork?

I think the question was about parents signing not whether we keep a register?

Once again the statement was 'Ofsted need this'....but this was not linked up to this new request...it is the DfE that legislates we monitor attendance ...Ofsted judge how we do it....and LAs offer guidance on practice.
    It is unhelpful to constantly say Ofsted 'expects' this of us.

I am sure that things will change in future once the DfE starts getting the first results on their investment!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It has always been a requirement that we keep a record of the times the children are on the premises, but it isn't a requirement to get the record signed.

This is what the EYFS says the requirement is to keep:

• a daily record of the names of the children being cared for on the premises, their
    hours of attendance and the names of each child's key person;

I have always out times to the nearest 5 minutes and it's never been a problem, but I know some people put the time to the exact minute.

12. Likes BallyH liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    I put food through per child...so 50p for snack, £1.50 per lunch etc so I do use my register to do my tax.
    Yes of course your register will help you in adding your charges...I see what you mean!!
    you then record each monthly payment in your 'fees income ledger'? which allows you to make up the monthly invoice to parents
    Your payments can then be checked against your bank statements once you have received them.

If HMRC needed to audit us they would not look at a register but only the documents/paperwork we have to keep by law.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    It has always been a requirement that we keep a record of the times the children are on the premises, but it isn't a requirement to get the record signed.

• a daily record of the names of the children being cared for on the premises, their

I have always out times to the nearest 5 minutes and it's never been a problem, but I know some people put the time to the exact minute.
    Thank you for confirming exactly what others have said....maybe MOH misunderstood I was saying exactly the same as you?
    no need to give us a link MOH ....EYFS is what I was hinting at! that is the legislation and rightly quoted by Mouse.
    What is important is the hours contracted and funded for that are recorded!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It is not in EYFS and Ofsted can suddenly change something like this.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I was inspected in Sept and the inspector looked at my Register (Pacey one) I record to the five mins and she was happy with the register so I assume she was happy with the record! My parents have always signed very week but that is my choice.

17. Likes Mouse liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    I was inspected in Sept and the inspector looked at my Register (Pacey one) I record to the five mins and she was happy with the register so I assume she was happy with the record!
    Thanks for that.

I always think it would be difficult to get the time to the exact minute. The clocks in my house all say different times and Id never know whether I'd take the exact minute the parents knock at the door, the minute they leave and I shut the door etc. Recording the time to the nearest 5 minutes seems close enough to me!

Simona Guest

Very good replies Rickysmiths....good to hear that about Ofsted.

As you clearly state parents do not have to sign...it is our option to make them do so!
    So many myths that need busting about what Ofsted expect from us and what is their remit to see as evidence.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for that.

I always think it would be difficult to get the time to the exact minute. The clocks in my house all say different times and Id never know whether I'd take the exact minute the parents knock at the door, the minute they leave and I shut the door etc. Recording the time to the nearest 5 minutes seems close enough to me!
    Same here!

If parents pick up from me, then they sign. But if meet at school etc, then they don't sign!

sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My register is in my diary, just a column for in and out times. No one signs it except me, I do sign the end of each day (I'm not sure why )
    Mrs O was pleased with it, gave me the impression it was about safeguarding more than her needing to know who was in. I have no ages on my register anyhow, she'd have to cross reference them to the booking grid at the front and she didn't!

Simona Guest

Thank goodness for that...we have agreed that parents DO NOT require to sign the register...that is our choice if we want to add more on our daily chores list.

Hours of attendance are to be recorded...nothing new there!!

Parents can sign at our settings but not if collecting from schools...it must be confusing to them why they do not have to sign the school's register each day though?....perish the thought!!!...poor teachers can you imagine getting 30 parents plus to sign their register??!!

aug 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Default not a requirement

Hi, it is not a requirement for parents to sign your register, only for you to record the times the children arrive and leave, I recently had my inspection in September this year and the inspector looked at my register just to look to see if I was recording the times in and out and had their names on it, parents do not need to sign it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast