Glitter playdough
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Glitter playdough

Has anyone done this? Is it a good sensory activity did you find? I'm looking at playdough extension ideas...

Post Thanks / Like

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I make glitter playdough quite often and also use oils in the playdough eg peppermint, lavender etc for a sensory experience.

xx

Simona Guest

Anyone ever used spices or herbs in playdough?

oct 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Anyone ever used spices or herbs in playdough?
    I've used ginger in plays dough when our topic was 'The gingerbread man'. The children enjoyed smelling it, using gingerbread man cutter and decorating with pom-poms, glitter etc!
    Would say be careful how much you use though as it can be over powering

Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I made gold glitter play dough a few months ago, and it's gorgeous, I'd have it in every colour if glitter wasn't so expensive. (It required about half a cup I think...) I've also made pumpkin pie spice play dough last Autumn, and will make it again this year. It made the whole house smell like baking ".

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We added ground coriander to some play dough this morning. Can't say I like it, but LOs did! Usually add ginger, cinnamon, mint, lavender, orange flavouring.
    Parsley playdough was horrible!

Often add glitter, sequins, and anything else we find. Like dried peas today as well!

Dec 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greenfaerie View Post
    I made gold glitter play dough a few months ago, and it's gorgeous, I'd have it in every colour if glitter wasn't so expensive. (It required about half a cup I think...) I've also made pumpkin pie spice play dough last Autumn, and will make it again this year. It made the whole house smell like baking ".
    I wanted to make pumpkin pie playdough but couldn't find the spice, where did you get it from please? X

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kirstylob View Post
    I wanted to make pumpkin pie playdough but couldn't find the spice, where did you get it from please? X
    I've seen it a few times in various supermarkets - you can probably only get it at this time of year though. To be honest, it's just a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, probably cloves etc.

Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kirstylob View Post
    I make my own. The actual imported stuff is about £7 a small tub! O_O It's just 2tbsp Cinnamon, 1 tbsp Ginger, 1 tsp Cloves, 1 tsp Nutmeg and 3/4 tsp Allspice. And this way you can just make as much as you need. (Though in the Autumn I use lots for many things, haha)

11. Likes Maza liked this post
    SEPT 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I use mixed spice in playdough around this time of year. Smells lovely, altho you have to use quite abit. Peppermint at christmas is good. I will never put strawberry flavouring in playdough ever again. The smell made me feel sick. I could smell it for days too!

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

we also add whatever is to hand! At the moment its crumbled lavender from the garden. tried cocoa powder once ..spend half the week craving chocolate!

Post Thanks / Like

Whatever we put in is it all considered sensory? What Do the children learn over Zander above using regular playdough? Sorry no childcare experience so sometimes I do these things not really knowing what they're learning or what I'm teaching them!! :-)

Sept 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Whatever we put in is it all considered sensory? What Do the children learn over Zander above using regular playdough? Sorry no childcare experience so sometimes I do these things not really knowing what they're learning or what I'm teaching them!! :-)
    It's sensory in that it engages more than one of the senses- touch (obviously!), sight (different colours, added interest with flecks of herbs/glitter/sequins etc) and smell if you add spices, herbs or oils. You can even make a fresh batch of edible play doh to engage taste too, although I've not done this with mindees. With each new aspect added to the dough you're introducing new communication skills (New words they might not have used before), and you're encouraging creativity by allowing them to combine things to create new textures. Also, if you're using dough to help teach them things like shapes, or making letters and numbers from the dough, or using it to create props to support a story, some research suggests that the children are more likely to absorb what they've learned if it's presented in a way that engages multiple senses. And if that last bit turns out to be incorrect (as scientific research is so often being challenged and disproved), then who cares, at least they've had fun!
    This has actually made me want to crack out the play dough now, I love the stuff!

16. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post