Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted to say well done :-)

2. Likes JCrakers liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    feb 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations to u. Sounds like such hard work. I've read lots of yr posts and know how dedicated you are. It's so hard to prove everything that we do within the space of one morning. I can't quite get my head around having all our resources out for the children to be able to just help themselves to anything as and when they choose,plus the risk of safety and even dare I suggest pen,chalk all over the walls while 'm busy changing a nappy with another little one. Would there be any point in planning for the day? I just can't imagine anything but chaos if my little ones had easy access to arts and crafts! That doesn't mean that I don't do messy play,arts and crafts. It just done at the most appropriate time,ie not just as we r about to go up to school or as I'm serving tea!

4. Likes JCrakers, FloraDora, AliceK liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done on your grade. It is still based on what inspector you get I thinks.

6. Likes JCrakers, loocyloo, vals liked this post
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone.

I did enjoy the experience of her being here, she was very nice. The comments she made about the new inspection framework having higher expectations were frustrating but at the end of the day I did my best and couldn't have done anymore so I'm happy with myself. I was thinking yesterday, if only I was inspected 2 months ago I would have reached that Outstanding but today I'm feeling better about my outcome. I will wait until my report comes out, I'm sure it will read well.

After reading my first post I hope I didn't panic anyone as it really was a good experience, a little nerve racking of course but you can only do what you do It was very thorough and at the end of the day it didn't matter that she wasn't able to tick off a couple of points in the outstanding box.

With the mark making the inspector had looked at an observation for my 44m old. I had said she had drawn a lovely detailed picture and gone on to say that I would provide mark making, which I did, but the pens, paints, chalks are all in boxes and got out at various times or crafts times. I do have a black chalk wall in the playroom but the chalks are on a high shelf, mainly because of the 23m old I have. I explained to her that if I nipped to the toilet I didn't want the younger children to get the chalks or pens (drawing on walls, furniture, or putting the chalks into mouths) She said what would happen if the chalks were put into mouths..... I suppose she had a point. Nothing would happen to the child....I just would have wet, chewed up chalks and I would have to clean up, and buy more chalks)
    She said that a box of pens would be a good idea in the role play/home area and again I said I didn't want pen all over furniture which is why I only have pens at the table. My HOME, my decision. She couldn't see that but I wasn't budging on pens
    I also have an easel which is flat packed while its not being used. I also have a magnadraw.

The advice I can give everyone is that Teaching is the main focus. We had collected leaves and sticks the previous day and we were glueing them onto Red and orange (Autumn coloured) paper. I had a 44m old who I gave her two pieces of card and explained that we could maybe glue them together so we could have a bigger area to work on. She followed my instruction of putting a thin layer of glue at the top of one of the sheets so she could stick them together, she did this unaided and then continued to stick her leaves, sticks.
    I had a 36m old who needed a bit of help with the glueing the 2 sheets together, so I helped him and then he got on with the gluieng. (he did actually spend more time picking dried glue off his hands...lol)
    I had a 23m old who just had a single piece of card and a pot of glue and brush, she just got on with pasting glue all over the paper and stuck loads of leaves on, then took them off again.

Throughout we spoke about where the leaves had come from, where we had picked them from, the colours, shapes (thinking back I could have talked to the children about why the leaves fall off and seasons but I was a bit conscious of the inspector sitting looking at me...lol)
    At the end she asked me how the activity had gone, I said I thought it had gone well. She agreed and asked me what each child had got out of the activity. I said the younger child had enjoyed the sensory feel of the glue and her main enjoyment had come from the feel of the glue and putting leaves on and off rather than the outcome of the picture. The middle child had needed a bit of help because I knew him well and I knew he needed a bit of guidance, he enjoyed the activity and was eager and active to join in, he also enjoyed the sensory side of the activity as his main focus was picking off the glue...lol. The older child was working independently, following instruction well, and was placing the leaves in chosen positions to create an effect that she liked. She was excited that we had picked the leaves and was proud and active throughout.

I also had told her that my 3yr old mindee loved being outside and although he did love the craft, he loved being outside more (garden, park, walks etc) In his progress report she noticed that I had said we were going to look at recognising numbers as he was showing an interest in numbers in his play etc. She asked me how I was going to do that and I explained. She asked me how I take his main interest of being outside and the numbers so I told her we look for letters, numbers when out on walks, the school playground has a large amount of numbers on the floor and when were waiting for the children to come out we stand on the numbers and he runs around telling me what they are etc. She said she would have liked to have seen numbers out in the garden maybe. I said we do take chalks outside to write on the patio etc.

Mindee 36m has never been a good eater so he didn't eat his lunch and she said it would have been a good idea to have involved him in the spreading of the bread, adding fillings etc. which I didn't do but then I cant think of everything

So, it was a thorough but nice experience and I think if I had tweaked a couple of things I might have reached the Outstanding but that's ok..Im happy
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Well done on your good, it sounds like you did all you could, you must be exhausted! I hope youre enjoying a large wine with your feet up!! :-) It makes me petrified for mine, they seem so harsh???! I have so many questions from this(!!).......How may children did you have, what ages did you have? What was your inspection activity?
    I think that's so unfair about using your lounge etc. And also Im really worried about the need to have pens everywhere for mark making. I would say this was a choking hazard (lids) and that they could be used incorrectly (pen all over walls/carpet etc) if used without supervision surely????
    Are the board books readily available to the little ones or do you get them out the bookcase yourself?

I dont understand the comments about how you would have got "outstanding" last time but not this time?

Sorry for waffling..! :-)
    It wasn't so bad mumofone...you can only do what you do
    I had a 44m old, 36, old and a 23m old and we had collected leaves which we were either going to paint/print or glue. My 44m old mindee said she wanted to glue them so that's what I decided to do at the time.
    I do have a low bookcase which the children choose books from, she just commented on having a little area with hard books for the 23m old but at the end of the day that was only her personal opinion. I'm not going to change the way I do things as the bookcase is perfectly fine.

This was just 1 individual inspectors views and they can differ hugely. If I'd had someone else they may have picked out something completely different that I wasn't doing. I took her comments on board but don't have any intention of opening up my lounge. I already have a big playroom and dining area which is sufficient.
    So don't worry, when your day comes, you'll be great
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

9. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Simona Guest

JCrackers...after a good night sleep you are feeling a lot more positive about your inspection....or was it that glass of wine that did the trick?

Can I ask what emphasis the inspector put on 'paperwork' as you rightly said teaching is now the focus
    Reading about Rickysmiths and the fact she went totally 'paperless' is so heart warming...what where you asked to evidence?

Did you have any children receiving EYPP?
    one thing the inspector could have done is acknowledge you have a Level 3..not required for cms....then encourage you go forward with level 4.

Well done again!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done! It sounds as if it was a very positive experience and a good outcome

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    JCrackers...after a good night sleep you are feeling a lot more positive about your inspection....or was it that glass of wine that did the trick?

Can I ask what emphasis the inspector put on 'paperwork' as you rightly said teaching is now the focus
    Reading about Rickysmiths and the fact she went totally 'paperless' is so heart warming...what where you asked to evidence?

one thing the inspector could have done is acknowledge you have a Level 3..not required for cms....then encourage you go forward with level 4.

Well done again!
    The wine helped Simona
    I do offer the EYPP but don't have any children on role atm due to being full and not having any available spaces.

I gave the inspector all my folders when she arrived. As well as the usual (folder full of setting info, DBS checks, fireplan, etc, A personal dev folder with certificates in and parent feedback, accident/med book, daily register, 3 way communication books which go to and from nursery/preschool ) I gave all 5 LJ's to look through which had progress reports, 2yr checks in, my tracker folder, obs and next steps folder (obs very short, 1 sentence with links to EYO and next steps)
    I also showed her a Transition to school report I did last year on the computer.

I suppose if you can tell the inspector how well you know the child and how you monitor their development, plan and move them forward without all the paperwork that's fantastic. I don't think I would be able to manage that in fear of having a mind block on the day. Well done to RickySmiths for doing that...very brave

13. Likes lollipop kid, Maza liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done on your inspection and thanks for such detailed feedback - I find for free access to mark making that magnadoodles are good and I also have a couple of clip boards with paper and biros attached with string (slightly longer than the magnadoodle string as that's too short) but not long enough that they even think about drawing on the furniture or walls. Clip boards are generally in the role play areas. I also have a soft open storage box that I keep board books in, it fits in the bottom of my main book case but I can take it out to put in the lounge and easily pack books away to put storage box back in book case. I also have a small rattan box that is just the right width for ladybird type books for the older children.

Most of my structured mark making, like yours is up to the dining room table.

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for sharing such detailed feedback, JCrakers!

It sounds like you do an amazing job, and couldn't really have done much more on the inspection day.

Well done, again. I hope you are really pleased with what the report says when you see it - I'm sure it will be lovely.

All the best,

LK

16. Likes FloraDora, hectors house liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    The wine helped Simona
    I do offer the EYPP but don't have any children on role atm due to being full and not having any available spaces.

I gave the inspector all my folders when she arrived. As well as the usual (folder full of setting info, DBS checks, fireplan, etc, A personal dev folder with certificates in and parent feedback, accident/med book, daily register, 3 way communication books which go to and from nursery/preschool ) I gave all 5 LJ's to look through which had progress reports, 2yr checks in, my tracker folder, obs and next steps folder (obs very short, 1 sentence with links to EYO and next steps)
    I also showed her a Transition to school report I did last year on the computer.

I suppose if you can tell the inspector how well you know the child and how you monitor their development, plan and move them forward without all the paperwork that's fantastic. I don't think I would be able to manage that in fear of having a mind block on the day. Well done to RickySmiths for doing that...very brave
    Thank you for your time and replies....I could ask a hundred more questions but don't want you cursing me!
    I am sure you will give feedback to many more CMs and it will be appreciated

18. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    The wine helped Simona I do offer the EYPP but don't have any children on role atm due to being full and not having any available spaces. I gave the inspector all my folders when she arrived. As well as the usual (folder full of setting info, DBS checks, fireplan, etc, A personal dev folder with certificates in and parent feedback, accident/med book, daily register, 3 way communication books which go to and from nursery/preschool ) I gave all 5 LJ's to look through which had progress reports, 2yr checks in, my tracker folder, obs and next steps folder (obs very short, 1 sentence with links to EYO and next steps) I also showed her a Transition to school report I did last year on the computer. I suppose if you can tell the inspector how well you know the child and how you monitor their development, plan and move them forward without all the paperwork that's fantastic. I don't think I would be able to manage that in fear of having a mind block on the day. Well done to RickySmiths for doing that...very brave
    Did you complete a SEF jcrackers? I hope it said you were outstanding? X

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by poppy321 View Post
    Congratulations to u. Sounds like such hard work. I've read lots of yr posts and know how dedicated you are. It's so hard to prove everything that we do within the space of one morning. I can't quite get my head around having all our resources out for the children to be able to just help themselves to anything as and when they choose,plus the risk of safety and even dare I suggest pen,chalk all over the walls while 'm busy changing a nappy with another little one. Would there be any point in planning for the day? I just can't imagine anything but chaos if my little ones had easy access to arts and crafts! That doesn't mean that I don't do messy play,arts and crafts. It just done at the most appropriate time,ie not just as we r about to go up to school or as I'm serving tea!
    Totally agree poppy. We can have so much to juggle and if we are to keep the children safe which has to be number one priority it's just not practical

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done you. And for saying ofsted was a good experience never heard that one before lol

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Well done you. And for saying ofsted was a good experience never heard that one before lol
    Dragonfly... (whispers) it wasn't that great but I didn't want to scare anyone who's due an inspection. Just keep it to yourself

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post

Well done again!

I would say if you go paperless like I did, I have to say I decided the day before to take a calculated risk and I put away all the developmental records I do that is the Daily Diary/LJs just to see what the reaction would be. The Inspector wasn't worried at all but you do need to be prepared to talk and know the children on the day inside out.

The Inspector asked me in detail about the 3 children I had on the day. She wanted to know where they were and next steps. One was a relatively new starter (beginning of August) and she wanted to know the starting points and what had the parents told me, I do get the parents to fill in a simple All About Me form and I ask them to note down the child's normal daily routine. It was quite funny because she sat with me doing the joint Observation, we were playing with Play Dough, she then left us and went to her paperwork and computer and then she must have asked me 3 times how long the new child had been with me!! In the end she said she had asked because she couldn't believe how settled and comfortable the child was with me and with the other children and they with her. She said I was clearly very cool and calm in all I did. She wanted to see all the 2 year checks I had done.

She asked a lot of questions about child protection, sign, who I would report to, etc. Prevent was included and I was again asked if I suspected anything who would I report to, she was pleased to see I had completed the Police Channel Training. She looked at my Policies and she scoured through my Safeguarding Folder which had a list of all the important phone numbers in the front, all the house and car Insurance info, First Aid certs, Emergency Evacuation Practices, A copy of all my policies, DBS and CRB numbers for my family (I an too old to have one!) not the Certificates they belong to the individuals and you don't need those, just the numbers. ICO Certificate and a couple of sheet from our County about using the internet safely on which I had noted these have been shared with all parents. Then I had the first page of all the documents like Prevent, What to do if you are worried a child is being abused, SEND, etc etc with a note on each indicating the full document is stored on my computer. You don't need a printed copy of all these huge documents.

I did for the first time do a SEF and she looked at it and made comments and suggestions as to how I could work on it in the future. I did the new Sef that came out in Sept.

I had my CPD Folder and my Parents Feedback folder.

I also had photos on the wall above the children's pegs, which I always do and I change regularly so the children can show their parents where we have been and what we have been doing, she liked that. I had a photo album and a Digital Photo Frame on the side with all the recent photos on, again something I do often with the children because they love to see the photos and on the day the 2 older ones (both 2.5) completely un asked stood watching the photos giving a commentary on what they were doing and where they were I couldn't have coached them better if I had tried bless them and they roared with laughter each time a picture with both of them in came on. This was all happening right in front of the Inspector because the frame is on my side board next to the silver tray with the old crystal decanters on, 5 of them.

She had a good look around checked I had the required posters up. She never commented that I have no safety clips on any of the kitchen drawers or doors and I have a through Kitchen dining room that opens onto the playroom and the children have free access to it all, the door into the hall is also open now to allow the now potty trained 2.5 year olds to access the toilet independently, this means they can all access the whole of the downstairs but they never do wander they seem to know the boundaries and respect my home.

It was pouring with rain all morning and the children were engaged inside so we didn't go outside at all. I was asked if we used the outside all the time and I was honest and said no because we often go out to parks etc in which case there may not be enough time in the day to use the outside as well which she was happy with and could see the photographic evidence of. She did have a good look around the garden when the rain held off for five mins!

She was lovely and made all of us feel at ease all the time she was with us.

Oh and she saw I had a L3 and made no suggestion about doing L4

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    I would say if you go paperless like I did, I have to say I decided the day before to take a calculated risk and I put away all the developmental records I do that is the Daily Diary/LJs just to see what the reaction would be. The Inspector wasn't worried at all but you do need to be prepared to talk and know the children on the day inside out.

The Inspector asked me in detail about the 3 children I had on the day. She wanted to know where they were and next steps. One was a relatively new starter (beginning of August) and she wanted to know the starting points and what had the parents told me, I do get the parents to fill in a simple All About Me form and I ask them to note down the child's normal daily routine. It was quite funny because she sat with me doing the joint Observation, we were playing with Play Dough, she then left us and went to her paperwork and computer and then she must have asked me 3 times how long the new child had been with me!! In the end she said she had asked because she couldn't believe how settled and comfortable the child was with me and with the other children and they with her. She said I was clearly very cool and calm in all I did. She wanted to see all the 2 year checks I had done.

She asked a lot of questions about child protection, sign, who I would report to, etc. Prevent was included and I was again asked if I suspected anything who would I report to, she was pleased to see I had completed the Police Channel Training. She looked at my Policies and she scoured through my Safeguarding Folder which had a list of all the important phone numbers in the front, all the house and car Insurance info, First Aid certs, Emergency Evacuation Practices, A copy of all my policies, DBS and CRB numbers for my family (I an too old to have one!) not the Certificates they belong to the individuals and you don't need those, just the numbers. ICO Certificate and a couple of sheet from our County about using the internet safely on which I had noted these have been shared with all parents. Then I had the first page of all the documents like Prevent, What to do if you are worried a child is being abused, SEND, etc etc with a note on each indicating the full document is stored on my computer. You don't need a printed copy of all these huge documents.

I did for the first time do a SEF and she looked at it and made comments and suggestions as to how I could work on it in the future. I did the new Sef that came out in Sept.

I also had photos on the wall above the children's pegs, which I always do and I change regularly so the children can show their parents where we have been and what we have been doing, she liked that. I had a photo album and a Digital Photo Frame on the side with all the recent photos on, again something I do often with the children because they love to see the photos and on the day the 2 older ones (both 2.5) completely un asked stood watching the photos giving a commentary on what they were doing and where they were I couldn't have coached them better if I had tried bless them and they roared with laughter each time a picture with both of them in came on. This was all happening right in front of the Inspector because the frame is on my side board next to the silver tray with the old crystal decanters on, 5 of them.

She had a good look around checked I had the required posters up. She never commented that I have no safety clips on any of the kitchen drawers or doors and I have a through Kitchen dining room that opens onto the playroom and the children have free access to it all, the door into the hall is also open now to allow the now potty trained 2.5 year olds to access the toilet independently, this means they can all access the whole of the downstairs but they never do wander they seem to know the boundaries and respect my home.

It was pouring with rain all morning and the children were engaged inside so we didn't go outside at all. I was asked if we used the outside all the time and I was honest and said no because we often go out to parks etc in which case there may not be enough time in the day to use the outside as well which she was happy with and could see the photographic evidence of. She did have a good look around the garden when the rain held off for five mins!

Wow RS...that is good feedback!
    Thanks for your time !

25. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post

Sounds really good Rickysmiths. The digital photo frame is a great idea, I did that too and the kids loved it.

27. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done!
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

29. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    May 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done, it's such a relief when it's over, even if you keep going over it in your head and seeth with frustration at the "helpful" comments they are required to make. I have rebelled since my inspection and don't do any LJ's or written planning or observations anymore. I still think childminders inspections should be different from other settings as it's a completely different set up. I sure don't have colouring pens out where the kids can access them freely (I can imagine the state of my wallpaper!)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast