Illness
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Illness

Post Thanks / Like

Default Illness

I've read that we need to have a list of places we can give parents where their child can go if we are ill? Not sure how I do this as I have no idea as it would be their choice (ie their emergency family cover or something)? Can someone advise me on this please? I don't have a back up childminder or assistant ...

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Where have you read that? It rings a bell, but I can't remember where it says it or if it applies to childminders!

In my parent info I have a small section on what will happen if I am ill. It says that although this rarely happens, parents should have back up plans in place so they can make their own arrangements. I also give them the phone number of the local Families Information Service who they can contact if they want details of another childminder. I make it clear that I have no responsibility to arrange alternative care for them.

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It is the Childcare Register requirements, CR6.1
    What Mouse suggests is perfectly adequate.

4. Likes Mouse liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Where have you read that? It rings a bell, but I can't remember where it says it or if it applies to childminders! In my parent info I have a small section on what will happen if I am ill. It says that although this rarely happens, parents should have back up plans in place so they can make their own arrangements. I also give them the phone number of the local Families Information Service who they can contact if they want details of another childminder. I make it clear that I have no responsibility to arrange alternative care for them.
    In Sarah's "OFSTED paperwork checklist" on childcare.co.uk guides as a requirement of the childcare register...

Registered Childminder since
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I know a few childminders locally and I always give one of their contact details to all parents. However in 10 years she has only be called upon once as parents seem to find other people/friends/relatives to help them. Other than that I do not arrange separate care.

Post Thanks / Like

I've just realised I have an illness policy but it relates only to if the child is ill....could I add a section in here about if I am ill?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    It is the Childcare Register requirements, CR6.1
    What Mouse suggests is perfectly adequate.
    Thanks Moggy. I knew it was somewhere!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    I've just realised I have an illness policy but it relates only to if the child is ill....could I add a section in here about if I am ill?
    I don't see why not. As long as it's written somewhere and parents see it it'll be OK.

Simona Guest

The Childcare Register does state that CMs 'must' make arrangements with other providers for when they are sick
    This is NOT reflected anywhere in the EYFS which is the legislative framework
    I doubt Ofsted can go and change 'requirements' as they wish.
    What would happen if a cm had no one to cover for her?

It is not always possible for other cms to take on our children for various reasons: they can be full, they have no space, they may be on holiday themselves and ...more importantly...they may not be willing to increase their numbers on the day.

This is the Guidance...I would call Ofsted to ask further questions on that 'requirement'
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...me-childcarers

Having said that do bear in mind that CMs agencies will be offering that service to cover for cms' holidays and sickness and that is why Ofsted has possibly put that in the guidance.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I've just added it into my illness policy and just hope this will suffice :-)

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It says something along the lines of having to make arrangements with another childcarer or parents.

My arrangements is with parents and is that they sort it out alternative care themselves.