Do you allow mindees to play in your childrens bedrooms?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you allow mindees to play in your childrens bedrooms?

I'm asking this as I have always had the rule - no mindees upstairs. I have one particular mindee (6yr old) who comes every day after school and frequently during school hols. Him and my Son (9yrs) get on really well and have similar interests. Occasionally I would like to bend my rule to allow this particular mindee to play with my son in his bedroom. I've spoken to ofsted and they have said refer to EYFS and if I'm am happy risk assess and get permission from parents. She seemed cagey about my supervision (like an inspector could have an issue with them not in sight) they are in hearing and I have got to know the mindee really well and have complete trust in him to be within hearing. Thoughts please xx

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Like you I also have a rule whereby no mindees are allowed upstairs, with the exception of sleeping babies. However I have in the past let a trusted minded child go and play upstairs with one of my children providing that it is what my own child wants. Of course I can hear them and I might ocassionally go up there to check on them but as long as I can trust them that's fine. We can't always have every child in our sight AND hearing so I don't see the difference. My own children know the rules, they play in their own bedroom and do not set foot in anyone elses bedroom. I wouldn't do this with say a 3 / 4 yr old but my own are 8 and 11 and I know I can trust them.

xx

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you understand me completely Alice. I think I will just allow it as an occasional treat as sometimes this mindee is the only older mindee in the school hols and I think it's nice to have the option :-)

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I also allow it with my daughter's permission. Like you said, it has to be with a trusted mindee and in a risk assessed room.

Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I do the same as AliceK. I leave the baby monitors on so I can hear better with all the noise downstairs, I also lock the bathroom & my room so they don't have access to water as an extra safety measure. If my husband is home he'll sit on the computer upstairs to keep a closer eye.

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't. By boys are older. The youngest is nearly 13 but my oldest male mindeesis 8 and would love to get into his room. My sons need their space and I'm also coming from a safeguarding angle and have to protect them from any accusations.

Post Thanks / Like

Quite a lot to consider, mmmm it is easier to stick to my no upstairs rule. I'll have to give some more thought to this I think. Such a shame we even have to think about allegations etc.

8. Likes BallyH liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't want to alarm you but always protect your own kids also. The tide can change quickly.

10. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes thanks for that MOH didn't really think of it that way until you said x

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I do but only when my son is happy with it, he's never wanted mindees in his room which was fine but lately he's been asking if my eldest minder (6) can play Xbox with him in his room (my son is 10)

I checked with mindees parents, explained they'd only be playing age appropriate games etc. Parents were fine with it.

Tbh it doesn't happen often as mindees dad is usually so early they never get a chance to do it lol.

Post Thanks / Like

This is exactly the same situation kelieb