Judaism
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Judaism

Post Thanks / Like

Default Judaism

Just wondered if anyone's doing anything loosely related to Judaism and marking yon kipper or tosh hashannah this month?! :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Just wondered if anyone's doing anything loosely related to Judaism and marking yon kipper or tosh hashannah this month?! :-)
    Argh should say Yom Kippur or Rosh Hashanah!!!

Registered Childminder since
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

That made me giggle... Cheered me up after a stressful morning
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    hope you are ok JCrackers x

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

lol on the autocorrect?

no im not no reason either, just hadnt thought about it

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    lol on the autocorrect?

no im not no reason either, just hadnt thought about it
    Me neither but it has no relevance to any of the children I mind so I would be doing it for ticking a box.

Now Roald dahl day which was yesterday may run for the month because we all love it
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I won't be. As Fussy said, it has no relevance to the children I look after.

I usually do something connected with Diwali as they are likely to see the lights & decorations in the local community.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

no , not here either , it has no meaning to my lot just now. We have been reading the little red hen so building our planning round that this month - linking in the harvest festival at school , visiting a farm a bakery and a windmill , trying lots of kinds of bread from around the world , attempting to make some bread ourselves etc...

9. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with the others, it has no connection to my setting so no.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Me neither but it has no relevance to any of the children I mind so I would be doing it for ticking a box.

Now Roald dahl day which was yesterday may run for the month because we all love it
    Jarvis Cocker read the enormous crocodile in 3 goes during his show yesterday on Radio 6 live - you might be able to get it as a podcast now, played Charlie and the chocolate music too.

My nephew is Jewish and my son works for a Jewish company who embraces all their festivals so I do feel a little connected and read a story, but since , like you, it has no relevance, apart from having story books and highlighting them I don't make a big thing...if I had older children like after school I would because I feel , even though there is no relevance in their lives, it's good to be aware of what some people celebrate throughout the year. I live in a town of predominantly white non religous population so most of the religous festivals have no relevance, but I touch on them through stories.

12. Likes moggy liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

not doing anything - no relevance to any of my children or local community.

I'll probably mention it to my schoolies, but I doubt it will even have been mentioned at school. we might have a look on Youtube after tea.

we're very busy with assorted animals at the moment and starting nursery & big school! I was planning on doing something for Roald Dahl day, but my LOs are so little - 1 & 2 yr olds, so not quite ready for anything like that yet! my schoolies only want to come home and run around the garden!

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I was just re-reading my reply and it sounds like I don't look at things that are outside my childrens experiences .that's not true at all. And we do look at some festivals etc from around the world ..quite often Chinese new year , Diwali etc. If we never introduce them to things like this they cant broaden their horizons but I don't feel the need to always do that just to tick boxes As with everything there is a balance to be found.

15. Likes Mouse, Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm doing nothing either. A few years ago I was daft enough to print out Jewish colouring pages for my under 3's. I then sat back and realised that they didn't know what they were, they could have been anything.

My dd will be learning about Jewish festivals/beliefs In her RE lessons at school...she's 13 and more likely to understand

If I had a Jewish child then I would have asked parents to bring something in that we could have looked at and we would have talked about what the child does at home to celebrate etc but nothing too complicated.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

17. Likes Maza, loocyloo, FloraDora liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Totally get your points about having no relevance to particular mindees but just wondering how we go about celebrating other cultures and religions if we don't talk about them or do activities related to them. I know it's ticking boxes for OFSTED mostly but I think half of what we do is! :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    Lol!! :-) hope your day improves :-) x

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn't celebrate it here either as not revevant with my current mindees. Our planning was scarecrows to tie in with our Harvest Festival theme but a Lo arrived all excited about the country show he went to over the weekend. And yes there were scarecrows there but he was more interested in telling us about the hugh display put on by the local firefighters so we ended up all practising putting fires out, talking about our safety and risk assessing and then practising our emergency evacuation and waiting outside till the fire brigade came. But then they got disinterested as, of course, the fire brigade didn't come.

21. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Totally get your points about having no relevance to particular mindees but just wondering how we go about celebrating other cultures and religions if we don't talk about them or do activities related to them. I know it's ticking boxes for OFSTED mostly but I think half of what we do is! :-)
    You have to consider the ages of the children and what they would actually get from it. Also what you mean by "celebrating" - does it mean joining in and doing the same, or does it mean recognising and accepting?

It's good to talk about other cultures, religions, countries etc, but it doesn't need to be done via specific, focussed activities. What would a 3 year old get from colouring in a picture or doing some sort of craft related to a particular festival then never hearing it mentioned again until the following year? They'd have the fun of doing the activity, but wouldn't have any better understanding of the festival itself. You're better off talking about things as they happen. Eg. at Christmas you can talk about the different words we have for Father Christmas, then tell them about different names they use in other countries, or different traditions they have. Children are usually interested in hearing how other children are the same or different to them and are much more likely to understand it as they can relate it to what they do.

23. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    You have to consider the ages of the children and what they would actually get from it. Also what you mean by "celebrating" - does it mean joining in and doing the same, or does it mean recognising and accepting? It's good to talk about other cultures, religions, countries etc, but it doesn't need to be done via specific, focussed activities. What would a 3 year old get from colouring in a picture or doing some sort of craft related to a particular festival then never hearing it mentioned again until the following year? They'd have the fun of doing the activity, but wouldn't have any better understanding of the festival itself. You're better off talking about things as they happen. Eg. at Christmas you can talk about the different words we have for Father Christmas, then tell them about different names they use in other countries, or different traditions they have. Children are usually interested in hearing how other children are the same or different to them and are much more likely to understand it as they can relate it to what they do.
    I hear what you're saying mouse but would they really hear about Diwali anywhere else too?

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I hear what you're saying mouse but would they really hear about Diwali anywhere else too?
    It depends on many things, and again it depends on the age of the children. When I used to live and work near Wembley the streets used to be decorated with big illuminations - diwas mostly, and the displays in all the shop windows were linked to Diwali celebrations, shop keepers would give out little 'freebies' to children, and then of course there are the firework dispays...so you would be aware that something was happening. Children would see their neighbours dressing up and probably be invited round to join in with the social/party aspects of the celebrations. I used to love it.

Even soap operas now include Diwali and Eid in their story lines.

It's quite hard though to get the balance right when it comes to learning about festivals for the sake of ticking boxes versus learning about them to expose our children to other cultures. It's also hard to know whether or not something will be relevant to the children in our care. Also, some festivals just 'lend' themselves more to learning about them with children.

26. Likes FloraDora liked this post