Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Taking on a baby!

Hi everyone
    In a month's time I'll be taking on a 9 month old baby. In the 2 years I've done this job, all of my mindees have been toddlers or school children, so I haven't looked after a baby since my own youngest was one, ten years ago, so needless to say I'm a little nervous, and am starting to have little night time worries that are keeping me awake!
    Does anyone have any good advice for looking after other people's babies?? I'm worried about everything, from feeding, to potential separation anxiety (at the 9 month Mark), to choking on other children's toys (I work from my lounge so can't really section an area off at all), to SIDS (I use travel cots upstairs with baby monitors, but am now worrying because the risk of SIDS is higher under a year, and travel cots are more enclosed than regular cots). Help!!

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Whenever I've had a baby in the past I've treated as 'one of my own' and as you've had your own children do that. But be extra vigilant with the other minded children. It'll be hard work initially, as being a new parent is, but you'll soon get into the swing of it. Review all your risk assessments and chat to the other minded children about keeping the baby safe ie toys, equipment etc. Good luck. You'll received a lot of love back.

June86
    Post Thanks / Like

If baby is starting in a months time l would be having the child for settling in visits 2-3 times a week from now starting with an hour and building up to 4hrs over different times of the day so one day he plays, another over snack time, next time you put down for a nap so he gets used to you doing different things for him, we all worry over babies sleeping and check frequently, at 9mths he will be sitting and able to play just make other children aware that he is on the floor and watch them all, be prepared for tears carry little one around sit him on your lap to play some find comfort sitting in a buggy to play find what works l had a 9mth old start in feb he is a first child so found it difficult to settle and it did take several weeks for him to get through the day happily he is now a pure delight to have, he slept in a travel cot but downstairs in my living room we only have 1 room and kitchen downstairs and l don't use upstairs, my little one refuses to drink any milk with me but will have water mum and l are not concerned as he has milk morning and evening he eats well for me and has always done but some children take longer to let someone else feed them, don't panic take it slowly with him expect tears but explain to the others that he is still a baby and babies cry and need alot of your time go for walks to the shops anywhere to settle him if very upset. Good luck

Sept 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by QualityCare View Post
    If baby is starting in a months time l would be having the child for settling in visits 2-3 times a week from now starting with an hour and building up to 4hrs over different times of the day so one day he plays, another over snack time, next time you put down for a nap so he gets used to you doing different things for him, we all worry over babies sleeping and check frequently, at 9mths he will be sitting and able to play just make other children aware that he is on the floor and watch them all, be prepared for tears carry little one around sit him on your lap to play some find comfort sitting in a buggy to play find what works l had a 9mth old start in feb he is a first child so found it difficult to settle and it did take several weeks for him to get through the day happily he is now a pure delight to have, he slept in a travel cot but downstairs in my living room we only have 1 room and kitchen downstairs and l don't use upstairs, my little one refuses to drink any milk with me but will have water mum and l are not concerned as he has milk morning and evening he eats well for me and has always done but some children take longer to let someone else feed them, don't panic take it slowly with him expect tears but explain to the others that he is still a baby and babies cry and need alot of your time go for walks to the shops anywhere to settle him if very upset. Good luck
    Thanks for the tips!
    I've considered putting the cot downstairs for sleeping, but how do you keep the noise and activities of the other children from keeping baby awake!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redtiger21 View Post
    Thanks for the tips!
    I've considered putting the cot downstairs for sleeping, but how do you keep the noise and activities of the other children from keeping baby awake!
    We're in a flat and so babies have to sleep on the same floor level as everyone else. If the baby is relaxed but tired and in a good routine then they will sleep - we have all seen babies sleeping in the noisiest/busiest of places. Just keep their room dark and unstimulating, or some babies might like white noise to drown out other noise!

I find that all ages come with advantages and disadvantages, so focus on the advantages! Also, he won't be nine months forever...

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had lots of children start at about 9 / 10 mths and tbh I always dread it. It is very hard work initially but I look at some of the mindees I have now that I have had since that age and remember how hard it was and then look at how they are now and remind myself that it wont be so difficult for too long. I had one start on Friday actually (9 mths old). He has settled really well and is bonded with me (hates me to leave the room) but getting him to sleep is another story but I remind myself that I have been here before and with consistency and a lot of patience I know it will come.
    Luckily all my older children understand that some toys can't be played with until baby goes for a nap. The rest of the time I am extra vigilant about what toys are laying about.
    He is a fab eater so I'm happy with that, now if I can just get his sleep routine sorted we'll be laughing

xxx

Sept 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input everyone, am still a bit nervous, but not as bad as I was at 2am this morning when everything seemed impossible! Baby and mum are visiting tomorrow, and I'm seeing them Friday and next week too, and I'll suggest the idea of extra settle in sessions that incorporate feeding and sleep times, good idea there!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I took on one at 12 months but started settling at 10 months old as she'd never been left.
    Mum and baby came over twice for an hour or so each time, then mum left her for less than an hour gradually increasing to 2.5 hours to include a meal, did lots of little sessions and it was the smoothest start we've had with virtually no upset when she started full days as I wasn't a total stranger!
    All my mindees sleep in a buggy in hallway or on sofa as none of them will sleep upstairs in cot or travel cot! The noise doesn't seem to make a difference they know the routine have lunch nappy change off to sleep, when they first started we went for a walk in buggy to get them off but after a couple of times I found just going Ingrid buggy and they were asleep before we'd got ready to leave house!