Maths
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Maths

Post Thanks / Like

Default Maths

I think (or I hope) that I'm covering all learning areas ok but really struggling with maths. Maybe I'm doing it and not realising it but I'd really welcome any ideas. Currently we do baking which covers it, making playdough which I guess is the same? But I'm not sure what else we do that covers maths?

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    I think (or I hope) that I'm covering all learning areas ok but really struggling with maths. Maybe I'm doing it and not realising it but I'd really welcome any ideas. Currently we do baking which covers it, making playdough which I guess is the same? But I'm not sure what else we do that covers maths?
    For what ages?

Look at Dev Matters, it is all in there!

Number rhymes, talking about lots/more/add/few/most/all gone/sharing out, comparing and playing with big/small- 'big bears/little bears', counting everything (steps, buttons, shoes, cups), hopscotch, skittles, dominoes, play shops, sorting and matching games, water play filling/emptying/half-full, jigsaws, stories involving 'behind/in front/on top/under/over', shapes, look for numbers when out and about... I am sure you do it all the time!

3. Likes Hello you liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Some ideas here

http://www.early-years.org/parents/d...rough-play.pdf

But my maths is every day, every thought and chat...... When they are playing I look for ways I can introduce and enhance maths concepts ....in every day life not in focus areas.

Breakfast is our biggest maths focus. Quantity of milk and cereal - pouring with jugs, pouring just enough from jug so that others have some. Toast - how many pieces / fractions cut in halves, quarters etc..how many pieces, how many eaten / left?
    Baking - great focus but water play/ capacity is brilliant too- how many will fill etc..lots of counting and problem solving....

Maths is everywhere - find it and discuss with LO's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    For what ages? Look at Dev Matters, it is all in there! Number rhymes, talking about lots/more/add/few/most/all gone/sharing out, comparing and playing with big/small- 'big bears/little bears', counting everything (steps, buttons, shoes, cups), hopscotch, skittles, dominoes, play shops, sorting and matching games, water play filling/emptying/half-full, jigsaws, stories involving 'behind/in front/on top/under/over', shapes, look for numbers when out and about... I am sure you do it all the time!
    3 nearly 4 year old.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    Some ideas here http://www.early-years.org/parents/d...rough-play.pdf But my maths is every day, every thought and chat...... When they are playing I look for ways I can introduce and enhance maths concepts ....in every day life not in focus areas. Breakfast is our biggest maths focus. Quantity of milk and cereal - pouring with jugs, pouring just enough from jug so that others have some. Toast - how many pieces / fractions cut in halves, quarters etc..how many pieces, how many eaten / left? Baking - great focus but water play/ capacity is brilliant too- how many will fill etc..lots of counting and problem solving.... Maths is everywhere - find it and discuss with LO's
    Lovely thanks flora :-)

Simona Guest

Also construction, threading, sorting, puzzles, signs and labels in all environments, outdoor play, cooking, cutting and everything IT!

Maths make the world go round

8. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, helpful as always :-)

Post Thanks / Like

How about giving los tape measures to measure things with (I make use of the paper ones from IKEA) or use string/wool and cut out different lengths for los to stick on paper and compare lengths. Or: children stand against fence/wall and you chalk round them. Then they can work out who is tallest/shortest, the older ones can draw round each other. Or: get wallpaper and los lay on it while you draw round it. Cut out and compare lengths/height. Or: roll cars/balls down a slope (I use a bit of old board or guttering) and see which ones go faster/slower. Use heavier and lighter cars to see if that makes a difference to the speed they go or how far/the length they go to. Or: see who is first/second/third through the front door (or during turn-taking "I had it first"). Or: if they are pretending to be on bus - sitting on chairs one behind the other - which one is in front/middle/behind. Or: playing with brick shapes. Square/rectangle/cube/cylinder. Puzzles: even if they loose interest in doing them, they can count how many pieces go back in box. Can older ones play snap. Snakes and ladders for counting and using dice. Or: telling the time. Including: lunchtime/sleep time/hometime. On the walk home if they walk on a low wall (if safe) are they shorter than you, taller or same height? How many steps can they count until they get to next lamp post/ how many red cars can they see etc. Mealtimes: how many bites out of apple can they take, how many grapes (or sliced grapes!) have they got. How many are left when they have eaten one. How many spoonfuls of peas do they want - do they want more or less. Well done they have eaten it all and so their plate is empty!! Anyway, have fun. I am painting my living room today. How long have I been painting it for? Too long ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NightOwl View Post
    How about giving los tape measures to measure things with (I make use of the paper ones from IKEA) or use string/wool and cut out different lengths for los to stick on paper and compare lengths. Or: children stand against fence/wall and you chalk round them. Then they can work out who is tallest/shortest, the older ones can draw round each other. Or: get wallpaper and los lay on it while you draw round it. Cut out and compare lengths/height. Or: roll cars/balls down a slope (I use a bit of old board or guttering) and see which ones go faster/slower. Use heavier and lighter cars to see if that makes a difference to the speed they go or how far/the length they go to. Or: see who is first/second/third through the front door (or during turn-taking "I had it first"). Or: if they are pretending to be on bus - sitting on chairs one behind the other - which one is in front/middle/behind. Or: playing with brick shapes. Square/rectangle/cube/cylinder. Puzzles: even if they loose interest in doing them, they can count how many pieces go back in box. Can older ones play snap. Snakes and ladders for counting and using dice. Or: telling the time. Including: lunchtime/sleep time/hometime. On the walk home if they walk on a low wall (if safe) are they shorter than you, taller or same height? How many steps can they count until they get to next lamp post/ how many red cars can they see etc. Mealtimes: how many bites out of apple can they take, how many grapes (or sliced grapes!) have they got. How many are left when they have eaten one. How many spoonfuls of peas do they want - do they want more or less. Well done they have eaten it all and so their plate is empty!! Anyway, have fun. I am painting my living room today. How long have I been painting it for? Too long ;-)
    Lovely ideas, thanks nightowl :-)