trackers and tapestry? - is there a need?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Default trackers and tapestry? - is there a need?

Hi I use Tapestry and I'm wondering how you plan for next steps appropriately. Yes, I know there is a next steps/ next obs. feature, but is that enough or do we have to use trackers alongside to 'remember' which bracket the child is in in each learning area?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I still use a paper tracker but I am waiting to see what tool Tapestry has once I have a few term's obs in there. It can show progress, but I want to wait and see what that looks like before I dump the paper tracker. You can do a 'snapshot' at any time to see where child is in all Areas/Aspects. so a collection of those would also become a 'tracker'.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by primrosecottage View Post
    Hi I use Tapestry and I'm wondering how you plan for next steps appropriately. Yes, I know there is a next steps/ next obs. feature, but is that enough or do we have to use trackers alongside to 'remember' which bracket the child is in in each learning area?
    If you plan your next steps broadly following Development Matters there is no need to use any additional trackers or paperwork

The child's progress can be 'tracked' in your observations and the assessment you make...this needs to be short and to the point.
    The evidence you need to show is how your 'teaching' leads to the desired outcomes.

Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you for very informative replies. is there anyway you evidence your 'teaching' other than evidence that the children are progressing and your individual plans suitably challenge the child? Is it enough just to be able to explain your teaching methodology when you have an inspection?

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by primrosecottage View Post
    thank you for very informative replies. is there anyway you evidence your 'teaching' other than evidence that the children are progressing and your individual plans suitably challenge the child? Is it enough just to be able to explain your teaching methodology when you have an inspection?
    Teaching can take many forms and Ofsted do not judge which method you choose just how you engage and involve children
    As an example: children have set up a shop which is a child initiated activity.
    You observe and then...you can introduce something to extend their learning without taking away the children's initiative

You can use Sustained Shared Thinking asking open ended questions allowing the children to think their answers
    or provide resources that extend that learning, it could be for maths or other areas appropriate to that activity...such as paper money the children can write numbers on, labels for children to write the price of goods they are selling, purses to store their money, bags for their shopping, real food items they can read from....that is what the EYFS means by purposeful play
    Such an activity would cover all the 7 areas and give you obs to record progress or next steps you will think of.