Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 95
    Non childminder member
    Nanny
    Post Thanks / Like

Default iPad during meals

Hello everyone,

Hope you have had a great week start. I am here today to seek some tips and thanks
    for your time...please, I am looking for help, those who does not know any advises, do not
    say nasty things...
    Who does know how to break a bad habit of a child who has to watch PEPA PIG cartoon in order
    to be fed, if the IPad is not set up, she does start eating, at all...crazy, but is the reality!
    many many thanks!!

Sept 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hide the ipod.

3. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Needs to be removed completely

If a mindie I would not let them have it at all

5. Likes Hello you liked this post
    May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

No ipad allowed. If they don't eat tough. Be consistent. They will soon learn how things work at your house.

7. Likes Hello you liked this post
    Simona Guest

In your setting you set the boundaries and rules
    If you are working in the child's home then you need to talk to the parents who must have started the bad habit!

9. Likes Hello you liked this post
    sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Polite and firm. Just say we have the ipad after lunch. They will soon understand. I have one mindee who constantly sucks a dummy at home.. she never leaves it down and would cause a row at collection tine to get it. But in mine she knows it is only for her sleep time she puts it straight into her bag in the morning and takes it out at sleep time she knows that's the only time she allowed it in my house ..
    The child might not eat much for a few days but will quickly learn
    Tess1981

11. Likes Hello you liked this post
    Mar 95
    Non childminder member
    Nanny
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear Simona, I am working at child's home, but her mother has asked me to solve the bad habit, she is desesperate because she knows it's been her fault. She needs HELP!
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    In your setting you set the boundaries and rules
    If you are working in the child's home then you need to talk to the parents who must have started the bad habit!

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hello you View Post
    her mother has asked me to solve the bad habit, she is desesperate because she knows it's been her fault. She needs HELP! Thank you
    You won't be able to solve it alone... Mum will also need to say no, particularly if you aren't there, or any steps forward you do make will be undone as soon as you have a day off!

Mum (& you) need to take it away, but mum also has to be consistent, more stubborn than the child, and be prepared for a few 'hard & difficult' days (tears, tantrums, and possible refusal of food at least until the child realises they're hungry)
    Last edited by Kiddleywinks; 18-08-2015 at 06:50 AM.

14. Likes Hello you, moggy liked this post
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

No ipad...there will be tears and tantrums but both you and Mum are not to go back to giving it her back
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Simona Guest

Dear Simona, I am working at child's home, but her mother has asked me to solve the bad habit, she is desesperate because she knows it's been her fault. She needs HELP!
    Thank you
    If the mum has asked for help it means she admits she has made the wrong decision to give the Ipad to... in a way... bribe her child to eat?

You can't solve the 'bad habit' on your own ...it needs cooperation from the mother.
    Whatever rules you both decide to set the child needs to hear the same message from both of you

Sorry to ask but is this the same parent who asked for help with 'sleeping'?
    maybe you need to sit down and work out a set of rules for everyone's sake
    Good luck!

Mar 95
    Non childminder member
    Nanny
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear Simona,

Apparently, the sleeping problems has been solved, by itself...the child is teething, 8 teeths at the same time,
    she is suffering à lot, poor...I went there for a full day, yesterday and the IPAD is a big ISSUE
    that she has not talked about, before.
    The child is 13 months, in my opinion she is not too hungry because she is still having 3 bottles of milk a day, maybe if we start to cut down the afternoon bottle, she is going to be very hungry and it might help her to eat more without PEPA PIG ...
    Anyway, lots of things to deal with...MANY THANKS

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    If the mum has asked for help it means she admits she has made the wrong decision to give the Ipad to... in a way... bribe her child to eat?

You can't solve the 'bad habit' on your own ...it needs cooperation from the mother.
    Whatever rules you both decide to set the child needs to hear the same message from both of you

Sorry to ask but is this the same parent who asked for help with 'sleeping'?
    maybe you need to sit down and work out a set of rules for everyone's sake
    Good luck!

18. Likes Tealady liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear Simona,

Apparently, the sleeping problems has been solved, by itself...the child is teething, 8 teeths at the same time,
    she is suffering à lot, poor...I went there for a full day, yesterday and the IPAD is a big ISSUE
    that she has not talked about, before.
    The child is 13 months, in my opinion she is not too hungry because she is still having 3 bottles of milk a day, maybe if we start to cut down the afternoon bottle, she is going to be very hungry and it might help her to eat more without PEPA PIG ...
    Anyway, lots of things to deal with...MANY THANKS
    3 bottles at 13 months is not ideal, NHS advise here: Drinks and cups for children - Pregnancy and baby guide - NHS Choices

'If you're bottle feeding, it's a good idea to introduce a cup rather than a bottle from about six months onwards. By the time your baby is one, they should have stopped using bottles with teats. Otherwise, they may find it hard to break the habit of comfort sucking on a bottle. '

...and here: What to feed young children - Pregnancy and baby guide - NHS Choices

'From the age of one, you can replace breast or infant formula with whole cows' milk or carry on breastfeeding. Try to give your child about three servings of milk a day, either as a drink or in the form of foods made from milk such as cheese, yoghurt or fromage frais. '

So, at 13 months a serving of yoghurt at breakfast, cheese at lunch and a cup of milk in the evening for example, is all the 'milk' they need. She'll be full up if having 3 bottles of formula.

20. Likes Hello you liked this post
    Mar 95
    Non childminder member
    Nanny
    Post Thanks / Like

You are absolutely right! Now, I have to find a way to tell the mother ... I hope I'll be listened!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    3 bottles at 13 months is not ideal, NHS advise here: Drinks and cups for children - Pregnancy and baby guide - NHS Choices

'If you're bottle feeding, it's a good idea to introduce a cup rather than a bottle from about six months onwards. By the time your baby is one, they should have stopped using bottles with teats. Otherwise, they may find it hard to break the habit of comfort sucking on a bottle. '

...and here: What to feed young children - Pregnancy and baby guide - NHS Choices

'From the age of one, you can replace breast or infant formula with whole cows' milk or carry on breastfeeding. Try to give your child about three servings of milk a day, either as a drink or in the form of foods made from milk such as cheese, yoghurt or fromage frais. '

So, at 13 months a serving of yoghurt at breakfast, cheese at lunch and a cup of milk in the evening for example, is all the 'milk' they need. She'll be full up if having 3 bottles of formula.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You are absolutely right! Now, I have to find a way to tell the mother ... I hope I'll be listened!!!!
    Good luck- sit together and look through that website, maybe, make some notes together and put together a plan. It is not going to change overnight, this will need time and gradual changes from all involved.

23. Likes Hello you liked this post
    Mar 95
    Non childminder member
    Nanny
    Post Thanks / Like

Moggy, I really appreciate your time and your lovely words, thanks à lot!

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    Good luck- sit together and look through that website, maybe, make some notes together and put together a plan. It is not going to change overnight, this will need time and gradual changes from all involved.

Simona Guest

As Moggy says: sit together and work things out ...I totally agree with that.
    We cannot tell parents but we can support them in making the right choices and ....dare I say it....mend their ways when they have introduced 'bad habits' such as Ipad at mealtimes....although often these are measures to make 'parents' life easy and provide a nightmare for us carers!

When it comes to nutrition though I wonder why the HV has not picked this up...this child is 13 months after all!

Keep us posted!

26. Likes Hello you liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello everyone,

Hope you have had a great week start. I am here today to seek some tips and thanks
    for your time...please, I am looking for help, those who does not know any advises, do not
    say nasty things...
    Who does know how to break a bad habit of a child who has to watch PEPA PIG cartoon in order
    to be fed, if the IPad is not set up, she does start eating, at all...crazy, but is the reality!
    many many thanks!!
    The bunyip way:-

1. Remove i-pad.
    2. Place sausage sandwich in front of child.
    3. State, clearly, "if you need Peppa Pig, you'll find her between those slices of bread. Get on with it."

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...................on second thoughts, maybe previous posts are ever so slightly more appropriate..........?........................

feb 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    The bunyip way:-[*]Remove i-pad.[*]Place sausage sandwich in front of child.[*]State, clearly, "if you need Peppa Pig, you'll find her between those slices of bread. Get on with it."[*] Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...................on second thoughts, maybe previous posts are ever so slightly more appropriate..........?........................
    Love it!

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Ipad needs to be hidden permanently. Gone no more,not after lunch if you or later when or gone on then because you are not well,been good, etc etc.
    mum has to kick the habit on behalf of the child after all mum has caused the habit. Put the ipad in the loft tell the child it has gone and do t get it back put for at least six months and then only for rare treats such as in doctors waiting room and mum is totally desperate never ever as a bribe.

30. Likes Hello you liked this post
    May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

But this child is only 13 months old so I would just replace the ipad with something like a favourite toy with no explanation at 13 months. That's just me and as a childminder and my own aged 16, 19 and 22 and we don't own an ipad I suppose I'm being mean. Or just put on the TV as a background if the 13 month old needs support.

13 month old are very fussy eaters anyway so don't just blame the ipad.

32. Likes Hello you, bunyip liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast