Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
I agree it was a useful tangent/diversion.

The point about ratios/excptions is a good one. But there really is a lack of clarity from the powers-that-be. Your final point is well made: if 4Children are frustrated by mixed messages from DfE-Ofsted, then there's every reason for CMs to be confusticated.

Perhaps we've overlooked the point that the OP might not actually want to go over ratio and have a 4th child to look out for. I can't speak for her, but it does bring a lot of extra considerations into the CMing day.

I worry that the more children we have, the less we can meet individual needs. I was talking with the mum of an autistic DS recently. She was really frustrated and quite angry about the lack of childcare options. She'd been to a lot of CMs who had no problem with taking on an autistic boy per se, and some had specific training and/or experience that would help her son. But CMs were basically refusing her a place because the additional work and attention needed would mean they wouldn't be happy taking on their full ratio of children in total, which would in turn limit their earning potential. One had even asked her to pay double because he'd effectively "be taking up 2 places". Tbh I was very shocked and felt they were riding roughshod over the Equality Act, though part of me could see the CM's side of it if it really does mean extra work and taking on fewer paying customers to meet the boy's needs properly.

And finally, what is a "sticky thread"? Sounds like doing cross-stitch with candy floss.
You are spot on...the Cm herself may not wish to consider an increase in ratio but this should not deter others who feel confident they can do so in similar circumstances.
I did suggest reflecting on this.

I am not sure how to put the link to the 'sticky thread' but if you look at the top of the General Childminding Chat you will see this thread: Ratio and the EYFS 2014 started by Sarah herself on 6/6/2013

On the 9 March 2015 I posted 'word for word' the replies from the numerous emails with the DfE...they are in bold and that is what I was referring to in my reply to Mouse and Fussy Elmo

This sticky thread is very useful as it shows how long this saga has been going on and how DfE and Ofsted and others vary on this issue which means the re writing of the EYFS is absolutely imperative on this issue...let's have clear English for all to understand.

I also agree on the individual care being diluted if we take on more children but that forms the basis of cms' ratio...this care must not be compromised but it is very individual to any cm and depends on many factors.