New Parent Changing Days
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New Parent Changing Days

A child is due to start with me in September. We have already filled in contracts and I've taken a deposit.
    The parent originally needed 2 days care a week, which was fine as I had a space on these days.
    She has now emailed me to say that from November she will need full time care for the LO. This will take me to 4 under 5's twice a week. Will I be able to do this as the child would have already been in my care for 2 months or should I say I won't be able to offer the full time space and return deposit etc...

Registered Childminder since
    June86
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you feel about having 4 on those days do you have enough equipment for all of them can you get out and about do you have school runs to do how will you cope, do you use a car have you enough space and seats, under continuity of care you can do it, risk assess inform all parents there is a letter, l think, in free resources, which you can adapt and give to parents this is a legal requirement. Give it some thought and then tell mum if you decide against it you are not obliged to give the deposit back as mum has changed the agreed contract and it does not suit you.

Edited to add if you look in the first thread ofsted information and ofsted inspections there is a good thread on continuity of care (COC) during inspections
    Last edited by QualityCare; 06-07-2015 at 02:16 PM.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lpatters View Post
    A child is due to start with me in September. We have already filled in contracts and I've taken a deposit.
    The parent originally needed 2 days care a week, which was fine as I had a space on these days.
    She has now emailed me to say that from November she will need full time care for the LO. This will take me to 4 under 5's twice a week. Will I be able to do this as the child would have already been in my care for 2 months or should I say I won't be able to offer the full time space and return deposit etc...
    Yes you are able to do this .....take a little time to reflect..the parent signed a contract for a certain number of days but now has informed you she needs more days.
    The first thing is to ask to meet and explain what this will mean to you...you can have the child for the contracted days...or mum will look to share the care ...or mum will look somewhere else where she will get 5 days.

It looks like you will have to Risk Assess the 2 days you have 4 under 5...inform all the other parents...look at your environment and reflect if you are able 'to meet all children's needs.'...talk to mum

In case you have not seen this ...here is the message from Ofsted Gill Jones on Cms ratios

At the recent Pacey conference Ofsted have clarified the issue of the ratios for CMs
    This is the message which also addresses 'continuity of care' and when this could be considered by a cm who wished to apply it .

''Following on from PACEY’s spring conference, where the issue of child ratios for childminders was raised, Ofsted has helped clarify the issue and has shared the following guidance, which has also been given to their inspectors and helpline staff:

The EYFS provides the standard ratios but also recognises circumstances where these ratios can change so that the needs of children and their families are met. Paragraphs 3.30 and 3.42 advise that: ‘exceptionally, and where the quality of care and safety and security of children is maintained, exceptions to the ratios may be made’. For example exceptions can be made when childminders are caring for sibling babies or when caring for their own baby. There may also be other adjustments to the ratios, for example where children need continuity of care.

Inspectors must ensure that the quality of care is not compromised by a childminder caring for more children and that they meet the needs of all the children in their care. Exceeding the ratio is not a breach in itself unless the childminder is failing to meet the needs of all children.

The Department for Education (DfE) has published some frequently asked questions (FAQs) which provide further guidance.

If you receive information that is different to the above guidance, Ofsted has advised that you take the name of the person, the date and time of the call and report it to them to investigate further''