Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ofsted in the area...now im feeling ill lol

There's a childminder down the road who's just had the call. She was inspected 3 months before me 3yrs ago so now I've got a funny feeling in my stomach

Every time the phone rings I shall jump out of my skin....Ive been through 2 inspections but it doesn't get any better does it
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

2. Likes FloraDora, Ripeberry, lollipop kid liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think they've forgotten me!

I've looked at the dates on inspection reports for all the childminders close to me and apart from one they've all been inspected in 2014 or 2015. There's one who hasn't been inspected since 2010 and me who hasn't been inspected since 2009. Everyone else has had an inspection in the last 18 months or so.

A friend who was inspected just before me was redone 8 months ago, so I thought I'd be pretty soon after that but haven't heard anything. I've updated my SEF, emailed Ofsted for various things - anything to bring attention to myself and shout out "hello, I'm still here waiting!"

I was hoping I'd be inspected before now as I have 3 children leaving for school. They've been with me for 3 or 4 years so I have a lot of evidence of their development etc. If Ofsted don't come before they leave I will be back to new starters with very little evidence.

Having said that, I still feel sick every time the phone rings! We never use the house phone so when it rings I know there's a good chance it's either someone selling me something or Ofsted!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think they've forgotten me!

I've looked at the dates on inspection reports for all the childminders close to me and apart from one they've all been inspected in 2014 or 2015. There's one who hasn't been inspected since 2010 and me who hasn't been inspected since 2009. Everyone else has had an inspection in the last 18 months or so.
    I was last inspected Feb 2010 and I had a call 2 weeks ago to check my details/holiday dates planned for the summer as they want to carry out my inspection during the summer holidays...I just have to wait for the inspector to call.
    Pixie Dust

Jul 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I was last inspected dec 2009. Mrs O is coming Wednesday or Thursday next week.
    I'm ready and waiting for her I want it out the way before the summer holidays.
    Love Amanda

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember the feeling! I was inspected in Nov 2008, and then again just now April 15! When I got the call I turned to mush - even though I have been waiting......

Jan 84
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had the phone call this week, she is coming Mon, Tues or Friday next week, I have looked at some she has done recently and she looks like a right monster, one minder who I have known for years and who actually looks after the children of our local DO and who went through everything with her, has been down graded to requiring improvement, so what does that say for our DO, for not knowing where her children are at development wise, also another minder, who I do not know, who was graded outstanding last time has been downgraded to requiring improvement for the same reasons, I am absolutely dreading it, I only have one 3 year old who does not like strangers coming, he is going through the most horrendous stage of arguing, not wanting to do anything and shouting at everyone who asks him anything. If you ask him anything his normal reply is I don't know and I don't care so leave me alone. I think I am going to get the lowest grading and probably be closed down by her!!!. I am finishing this time next year so I am not really bothered what grade I get, although it would be nice if I kept my good grading and then I wouldn't have to bother with another inspection, but if I get any less I might just finish sooner.
    Just hope the weather is kind next week and we can get outside easier, do you think she will come with us to take the dogs out as that is what we usually do first thing in the morning, then she will have to come and feed the birds with us, and do our gardening checks, we can make that last a couple of hours, so then just time for her to have a quick look at the paper work and then go, don't somehow think it will work out like that though, I am never that lucky. Good luck everyone who has an inspection soon, we will have to compare notes.
    Teacake2

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

I only have two weeks left and four sessions! What's the bet that I get the call? I have a plan for the last week, I'll pretend that I'm shut and ill BUT if she rings in the next few days I have no way of delaying it. I've been letting things slide (a lot) and I don't really care about the grading, just don't want Ofsted in my house!
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ripeberry View Post
    I only have two weeks left and four sessions! What's the bet that I get the call? I have a plan for the last week, I'll pretend that I'm shut and ill BUT if she rings in the next few days I have no way of delaying it. I've been letting things slide (a lot) and I don't really care about the grading, just don't want Ofsted in my house!
    Gosh that would be bad luck if you did, I thin you'll escape :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Gosh that would be bad luck if you did, I thin you'll escape :-)
    Think not thin!

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I really don't get the way that they do things.
    Since starting in Sept 2007 I had my first inspection Aug 2008 (11months later) and I received a good. Then the next one was March2012 (3yrs7m between inspections) and I received another good.
    But the childminder down the road received a Satisfactory and then went over 5yrs until her next inspection where she received a requires improvement. No one came back within 5yrs even though she had quite a few things to improve on. She still hadn't been doing her paperwork right and 5 whole years had passed. Think of all the children over 5yrs who had slipped through not having a LJ or any sort of learning tracking.

I'm hoping it's after the summer as I'm not doing my normal hours throughout August.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

12. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ripeberry View Post
    I wouldn't answer the phone for the next two weeks!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post

I wouldn't answer the phone for the next two weeks!

Miffy xx
    Neither would I! In fact ... I rarely answer the phone anyway!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    Neither would I! In fact ... I rarely answer the phone anyway!
    Lol I was wondering this....I'm rubbish at answering the phone, what happens if you miss their call each time?!

Simona Guest

When Ofsted launched the CIF they did make it clear that all providers will be inspected before the cycle ends in 2016...eventually our turn will come....hope you can get to read the feedback from the many meetings they are presenting the CIF

The inspection cycle has been every 4 years...however...due to the infamous changes Ofsted have recently made they fell behind with their inspections due to prioritising 'complaint driven' inspections.
    Those who follow Ofsted Big Conversation know the mess that followed and how the group has been influential in making Ofsted change its mind...thousands of providers have not been inspected for years...some up to 6 because inadequate/RI were prioritised as well.

Ofsted must be able to contact cms to give them a few days' notice of their inspection...this has not been changed and we should not tempt fate by saying we do not answer the phone
    At the London OBC Ofsted confirmed cms will still have a few days' notice.

If Ofsted cannot get in touch with a cm after several attempts they will send a letter ...which we understand can be very unpleasant
    We may not use our landline but most cms have a mobile...hard to justify not answering that when we use it every day??

Also many cms have been complaining recently that they are due an inspection ...or have not been inspected for years...
    so now the inspectorate is catching up we are not happy either?

I am not justifying Ofsted's own failures and flawed system but I am confused by the comments...let's make sure we keep that notice of inspection because short notice would be really problematic for CMs!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When I had my last inspection, the inspector left a message on my answerphone and I rang back when I got home and had time to talk.

it isn't always possible to answer the phone when it rings - hence why I have an answerphone! I also live in an area with patchy mobile reception - my mobile diverts to my landline and therefore my answerphone.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    When I had my last inspection, the inspector left a message on my answerphone and I rang back when I got home and had time to talk.

it isn't always possible to answer the phone when it rings - hence why I have an answerphone! I also live in an area with patchy mobile reception - my mobile diverts to my landline and therefore my answerphone.
    I think that Ofsted understand that very well...for cms it is not always possible to answer the phone because we are out and about all day.
    That was understood at London OBC... and the Ofsted woman gave a good example of this

I don't think that is what I was saying in my comment?
    cms cannot always answer the phone every time it rings...hence the answering machine or voicemail?
    I too have a terrible mobile reception...but then the landline would take over if an inspector was trying to contact me?

We also know that when the inspector calls the number will appear as 'withheld'.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I understand what you are saying Simona but you may remember I was sent a letter after 3 missed calls.
    I really don't understand why tribal/ prospects admin can't leave a message, inspectors do.
    My missed calls were one before I went and the other two genuinely during my holiday - when I arrived home I had no recorded message saying I had been called and the one before I went I wasn't aware I had been called, we worked out later that I was at the nature reserve.
    The letter arrived a week after the school holiday time, it was very blunt and said that I could be de registered unless I got in touch and I should always be available to them.
    I immediately got in touch with the number given which was not Prospects but Ofsted, they were not interested really, just asked when I was open and said they would pass info on to prospects and they would be in touch. I raised my concerns about no answerphone message but they were indifferent.
    This was when I should have been inspected within 7 months of registering - I was inspected finally after 14 months - the next contact I had was an answerphone message from the inspector which I immediately responded to.
    Every one I know, knows I am working and do not ring either home or mobile unless they have to during the days I work, same as when I actually went out to work. As I can be a lone worker with 3 young children I do not answer a phone unless I am in a position to do so or it is from a parent and therefore could be very important , even then I would not answer if I wasn't in a position to safely do so.
    My parents will usually text as I am unlikely to answer a phone call when out at the lake or in a playground where I cannot be distracted. I am not in the habit of checking my home phone for calls when I come in , nothing flashes to give me that information either. I am old fashioned probably but I am of the opinion that my mobile is for just my family and close friend and now parents to ring me. It is constantly with me so that I am able to use it, to receive a message from parents during the working day, or to use in an emergency, family can get in touch wherever I am out of the working day.
    A parent this week complained that a family member hadn't been in touch since they went on holiday......I said that was what holidays were about!
    Apart from letting MinLaw know we have arrived safely, our holidays are for us to go off grid, just like the olden days when we didn't have phones to constantly be in touch, we send postcards and an odd e postcard of a view we have taken. People can contact us, they know we will pick up emails now and then when it suits us or via mobile if they really really need to....but don't expect communication and I don't from others ...holiday means holiday away from the usual life.
    To get back to the point - I really don't understand why prospects can't do their check ring and leave a message. Childminders are different to schools and nurseries as they usually don't have a secretary ....(.I once received an ofsted call when I was on the loo and the secretary came with phone in hand to inform me that ofsted was ringing !!! Our arrangement was that she gave me a head up before she transferred the call so that I could compose myself. )
    For health and safety reasons we are not always available to answer a phone whilst caring for young children ...this week with all the water play I have had set up in the garden I have never taken my eyes off them!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see why these days ofsfed don't move with the times and email (just as good as a letter these days surely?) and say in the email that they have also rang the landline and mobile number and left messages on xx dates and XX times.

Then the final attempt could be a rather blunt letter but only when they've exhausted all other means and had no luck.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    I understand what you are saying Simona but you may remember I was sent a letter after 3 missed calls.
    I really don't understand why tribal/ prospects admin can't leave a message, inspectors do.
    My missed calls were one before I went and the other two genuinely during my holiday - when I arrived home I had no recorded message saying I had been called and the one before I went I wasn't aware I had been called, we worked out later that I was at the nature reserve.
    The letter arrived a week after the school holiday time, it was very blunt and said that I could be de registered unless I got in touch and I should always be available to them.
    I immediately got in touch with the number given which was not Prospects but Ofsted, they were not interested really, just asked when I was open and said they would pass info on to prospects and they would be in touch. I raised my concerns about no answerphone message but they were indifferent.
    This was when I should have been inspected within 7 months of registering - I was inspected finally after 14 months - the next contact I had was an answerphone message from the inspector which I immediately responded to.
    Every one I know, knows I am working and do not ring either home or mobile unless they have to during the days I work, same as when I actually went out to work. As I can be a lone worker with 3 young children I do not answer a phone unless I am in a position to do so or it is from a parent and therefore could be very important , even then I would not answer if I wasn't in a position to safely do so.
    My parents will usually text as I am unlikely to answer a phone call when out at the lake or in a playground where I cannot be distracted. I am not in the habit of checking my home phone for calls when I come in , nothing flashes to give me that information either. I am old fashioned probably but I am of the opinion that my mobile is for just my family and close friend and now parents to ring me. It is constantly with me so that I am able to use it, to receive a message from parents during the working day, or to use in an emergency, family can get in touch wherever I am out of the working day.
    A parent this week complained that a family member hadn't been in touch since they went on holiday......I said that was what holidays were about!
    Apart from letting MinLaw know we have arrived safely, our holidays are for us to go off grid, just like the olden days when we didn't have phones to constantly be in touch, we send postcards and an odd e postcard of a view we have taken. People can contact us, they know we will pick up emails now and then when it suits us or via mobile if they really really need to....but don't expect communication and I don't from others ...holiday means holiday away from the usual life.
    To get back to the point - I really don't understand why prospects can't do their check ring and leave a message. Childminders are different to schools and nurseries as they usually don't have a secretary ....(.I once received an ofsted call when I was on the loo and the secretary came with phone in hand to inform me that ofsted was ringing !!! Our arrangement was that she gave me a head up before she transferred the call so that I could compose myself. )
    For health and safety reasons we are not always available to answer a phone whilst caring for young children ...this week with all the water play I have had set up in the garden I have never taken my eyes off them!
    Thank you Flora Dora

It was with you in mind that I mentioned the letter we could receive in case we miss that call....I remember you mentioning it before.
    Just to repeat and clarify what was said at the London OBC: it is the inspector who usually calls because she has to find out if the cms is in, working on the day, has EYFS children on roll and much more....my understanding it is not Tribal or Prospect admin team who call....it is the inspector herself....please check this for yourself.

The Ofsted panel mentioned a cm who missed 11 calls...hence the reason our notice stays the same...yes because cms are different and out and about in the community...Ofsted agreed with this when I raised it at OBC and said we do not stay within 4 walls all day long.

Ofsted have never left messages or sent emails ...I don't know why...also it is not Ofsted who call but the outsourced inspectors....EY settings are not inspected by HMI

If cms feel they want emails or other ways of being contacted they should address this to Ofsted itself ...or maybe go along to one of the OBC meetings and ask that question directly....I was the only CM at London OBC, asked several questions, have tried to feedback and also posted the blog from June from that meeting.

If any cm has a worry do call Tribal or Prospects and get the info first hand.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to make sure I always answer all calls now just incase! :-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast