Registered Childminder since
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Thank you Flora Dora

It was with you in mind that I mentioned the letter we could receive in case we miss that call....I remember you mentioning it before.
    Just to repeat and clarify what was said at the London OBC: it is the inspector who usually calls because she has to find out if the cms is in, working on the day, has EYFS children on roll and much more....my understanding it is not Tribal or Prospect admin team who call....it is the inspector herself....please check this for yourself.

The Ofsted panel mentioned a cm who missed 11 calls...hence the reason our notice stays the same...yes because cms are different and out and about in the community...Ofsted agreed with this when I raised it at OBC and said we do not stay within 4 walls all day long.

Ofsted have never left messages or sent emails ...I don't know why...also it is not Ofsted who call but the outsourced inspectors....EY settings are not inspected by HMI

If cms feel they want emails or other ways of being contacted they should address this to Ofsted itself ...or maybe go along to one of the OBC meetings and ask that question directly....I was the only CM at London OBC, asked several questions, have tried to feedback and also posted the blog from June from that meeting.

If any cm has a worry do call Tribal or Prospects and get the info first hand.
    In my case and others I have been told of - Prospects called to check which days I was working - to update their information ( this is the call I missed) no message is left.
    Then not long after ( usually) your name is passed to an individual inspector that works for prospects who has a 2 week timeline to inspect you, the inspector does leave a message.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    In my case and others I have been told of - Prospects called to check which days I was working - to update their information ( this is the call I missed) no message is left.
    Then not long after ( usually) your name is passed to an individual inspector that works for prospects who has a 2 week timeline to inspect you, the inspector does leave a message.
    Thank you for the feedback...it looks like Ofsted has different information?
    Not sure how that can be clarified unless it is raised directly by those concerned as I did.

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Interestingly I had a message left on my phone when the inspector called, with contact details not withheld.

About a week after my inspection I had a call from ofsted, not withheld about my inspection too.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The inspector covering our area at the moment is leaving a message if she doesn't get through. No one is phoning beforehand to check if we are working, have EYs children etc. The first anyone hears is when they speak to the inspector.

Simona Guest

It looks like we have several different experiences here...what a surprise!

In some cases the inspector leaves a message...in others she speaks directly to the provider to establish details which we had already mentioned and is supposed to be the regular practice.

We also have inspectors leaving their mobile number...or was that Tribal or Prospects' admin team? (more like it otherwise inspectors would be inundated with our calls?? their mobile are also just for use when the are subcontracted by Ofsted )
    so a Common Inspection Framework still means that Tribal and Prospects do things differently for cms while the system remains consistent for all other providers.

I personally have no concerns about being contacted by Ofsted...that is part of being independent, registered and regulated by Ofsted which makes that contact part of the deal.
    I also personally have always answered the phone or mobile but if I was concerned I would ring the inspectorate and get 1st hand advice.
    Cms can also check the latest publications on inspections ....better that than some unpleasant letter dropping in our letter box.

Good luck to those expecting that call! hope you are not too anxious.
    Last edited by Simona; 05-07-2015 at 07:05 AM.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just to clarify Simona the ofsted inspector left a message to ring her, not just a message that you are going to be inspected. I did talk to her.

feb 05
    Post Thanks / Like

You're all very lucky that you get notice at all-in Scotland ours are unannounced!!!!

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Unannounced in Wales too.

1st inspection she rang to say outside and could I return, was on my way back anyway. 2nd she knocked on backdoor as I was cleaning, not supposed to be working that day but had had a parent call with a migraine asking me to have LO so quickly sprucing and she came with me to collect. 3rd rang to ask if I would mind having 2 inspectors as she was training but couldn't tell me when (arrived next day!), 4th (not had yet) phoned about 3 weeks ago to ask if I was about as she was training again but I had 2 pick-ups so was too tight will arrive at some point before April next year. We are inspected about every 2 years, my last one was 18m ago.
    Last edited by tulip0803; 05-07-2015 at 03:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi teacake2. Don't panic you will be fine. Will you have time to walk dogs? Can anyone else do it for you, a lot of time is spent looking at paper work. (On the other hand its good to mention as it fits in with keeping children healthy. Can you have someone on standby to take dogs?) All inspectors seem to be different so don't take this as correct for you. I would say to make sure you know your safeguarding well. What to look for, signs etc and then what to do if you suspect abuse. Visitors book/check inspectors badge. Show that children have access to water especially with hot weather. Public liability, car insurance, ico, dbs, medical/ incident/ medication book, training documents ready to be shown as well as parent permission forms and policies. Have you a complaints book/form as well as policy. Signed two year check? Risk assessment checks of house and garden, and proof of having been done. How you link with nursery/school if you have ey children attending. Proof of working in partnership with parents, eg any cooking recipes passed on/games lent? Daily diaries? Have you a SEF or any form of self reflection/evaluation/training to show? Parents references? Parents questionnaires: could you print some off for parents to quickly look at on arrival next week, maybe tick boxes to speed things up, with room for comments, and get to sign. EYFS: tracking and proof of progress. Will your inspector be able to follow your tracking and understand where child is placed age-wise in EYFS. Feeding birds with children is a good activity, can you explain how this links to EYFS. If you have a challenging child on day of inspection: how you deal with situation, what strategies you have in place. Hope this helps, some of it may be part of the inspection, or some of it might not be asked, it depends on inspector. Sarah N has it written better somewhere on this forum (smiling). Take a deep breath you will be fine. Good luck xx

10. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Simona;1403103]

Also many cms have been complaining recently that they are due an inspection ...or have not been inspected for years...
    so now the inspectorate is catching up we are not happy either?
    QUOTE]

As far as Ofsted go I don't think a lot of us are happy with whatever they do. 6 childminders in my town have now stopped. One was due to stop by the end of the summer, she's been childminding for years. She told parents that she would work upto the end of August so they could get themselves sorted for the new school year.
    Ofsted rang her last week....said she need to be inspected. She advised them that she was retiring at the end of August and would she be ok if she wasn't inspected. They weren't interested in listening to her and said if she continued to childmind they would get the police involved. She had to stop, there and then.

In hindsight she should have had the inspection. It wouldn't have mattered to her what grade she received.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Simona Guest

I am rather unclear about the comments in this threads now....all I have done is feedback from what I have heard by attending a meeting with Ofsted in London.

OBC has 7 areas all over England where these meetings happen and they are open to all cms...please attend so you can ask questions first hand and not rely on those who go and try to help by feeding back.
    It appears that we are more happy to speculate than get our facts right.

J Crackers...I am sad to hear about this cm who wants to give up
    If that cm had read the inspection guidance she would have known and expected the action Ofsted took about being inspected when it is due?
    There is a complaint system for Ofsted...this cm should use it.

Flora Dora....I was just stating ALL cms have a different opinion or experience on how and who they receive a call from...whether it is withheld or not, whether they get left a message or not...even when an inspector is in the area? I think inspectors are in any areas at all times but there I go and differ in opinion again.

So we can say the system is not uniform...those who are unhappy can ring Ofsted and complain and report either Tribal or Prospects.

I think we know that we have a window of opportunity by receiving a few days' notice...read the messages from those who do not enjoy that privilege in Scotland and Wales.

As I said I have never had a problem with responding to calls ...hope those who have get it sorted....good luck!

If we really want to be particular we should refer to Tribal and Prospects inspectors as 'ISP'...that is what they are...we in EY are not inspected by Ofsted inspectors but by those outsourced to do so...although Ofsted will now train Tribal and Prospects...go along to any Ofsted CIF presentation or OBC meeting and get info first hand..
    Last edited by Simona; 06-07-2015 at 07:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi jcrackers, Dyou mind if I ask why you think the 6 childminders in your town are giving up?

I've heard of 3 locally that are giving up but I think they are being "replaced" as it were by new people starting up.

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=JCrakers;1403219]
    Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post

Also many cms have been complaining recently that they are due an inspection ...or have not been inspected for years...
    so now the inspectorate is catching up we are not happy either?
    QUOTE]

As far as Ofsted go I don't think a lot of us are happy with whatever they do. 6 childminders in my town have now stopped. One was due to stop by the end of the summer, she's been childminding for years. She told parents that she would work upto the end of August so they could get themselves sorted for the new school year.
    Ofsted rang her last week....said she need to be inspected. She advised them that she was retiring at the end of August and would she be ok if she wasn't inspected. They weren't interested in listening to her and said if she continued to childmind they would get the police involved. She had to stop, there and then.

In hindsight she should have had the inspection. It wouldn't have mattered to her what grade she received.
    'The police involved?!' and she is registered (or was), and in the meantime any Tom, Dick or Harry can carry on illegally childminding, they don't involve the police with that do they?
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tulip0803 View Post
    Unannounced in Wales too. 1st inspection she rang to say outside and could I return, was on my way back anyway. 2nd she knocked on backdoor as I was cleaning, not supposed to be working that day but had had a parent call with a migraine asking me to have LO so quickly sprucing and she came with me to collect. 3rd rang to ask if I would mind having 2 inspectors as she was training but couldn't tell me when (arrived next day!), 4th (not had yet) phoned about 3 weeks ago to ask if I was about as she was training again but I had 2 pick-ups so was too tight will arrive at some point before April next year. We are inspected about every 2 years, my last one was 18m ago.
    Wow four inspections? Over what period had that been tulip?

16. Likes tulip0803 liked this post
    Simona Guest

[QUOTE=Ripeberry;1403251]
    Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post

'The police involved?!' and she is registered (or was), and in the meantime any Tom, Dick or Harry can carry on illegally childminding, they don't involve the police with that do they?

My understanding is Ofsted can involve the police if they need to inspect and get no access or barriers or whatever...that is what it used to be like but how many times it has happened? it is in their guidance
    I am sure this was not this cm's case.
    If this cm felt threatened she should have raised it directly to Ofsted...I certainly would.

We know there have always been 'unregistered' cms...Ofsted have been informed 1000s of times.
    now the govt has made it legal for anyone to mind for 2 hours without registration

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Hi jcrackers, Dyou mind if I ask why you think the 6 childminders in your town are giving up?

I've heard of 3 locally that are giving up but I think they are being "replaced" as it were by new people starting up.
    Thousands of cms are giving up...for various reasons...they are everywhere
    In my area the numbers have gone from 350 to just over 300
    Nationally we have just about 50,000 compared to years ago when there used to be close to 100,000...this govt has also blamed the Labour govt for that drop...fantasy really when we know many are a little worried about agencies.
    EYFS 2008 drove many out as they did not want to follow the framework and related paperwork, now the reasons are very different, although many leave to move on and explore other avenues!

I am aware that Sarah 707 has an OBC in her area in September...I am sure she will clarify many questions for cms and feedback to the forum..
    Last edited by Simona; 06-07-2015 at 08:49 AM.

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Too much stress, too many changes from Ofsted, too little pay and undervalued.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been registered 18 months and this is my dream job however I'm looking to give up before Xmas as I'm fed up of the constant changes, of OFSTED, and I believe in letting children be children and learning through play i became a childminder as I enjoy looking after children I have no desire to be a teacher and I feel this is the way things are heading and that's not something I want to be a part of. Children are being forced to grow up much quicker these days and there is so much pressure on them and I worry about their futures.

21. Likes JCrakers liked this post
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow four inspections? Over what period had that been tulip?
    I registered in 2008 so first was 2009 and the last was Jan 2014, will be due inspection again this financial year. They are not like OFSTED inspections we are regulated by the Care and Social Services Inspectorate of Wales (at the moment, they are going to merge with the education inspectorate in the near future so who knows then!) they look at care and some education rather than EDUCATION. I was OFSTED registered in Essex before moving to Wales and for the oldies (like me) is more like the old Social services inspections

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fran90 View Post
    I've been registered 18 months and this is my dream job however I'm looking to give up before Xmas as I'm fed up of the constant changes, of OFSTED, and I believe in letting children be children and learning through play i became a childminder as I enjoy looking after children I have no desire to be a teacher and I feel this is the way things are heading and that's not something I want to be a part of. Children are being forced to grow up much quicker these days and there is so much pressure on them and I worry about their futures.
    The EYFS is all about learning through play and the Learning outcomes are just guidance around expected achievements of an age group - so supporting learning, chatting, observing and knowing how children develop skills and the expected next steps have always been similar, I personally don't think anything the government or Ofsted expect is forcing children to grow up quicker, my own children achieved similar learning outcomes and developed the characteristics of learning nearly 30 years ago. However, some parents and the rest of the world expect chilidren to grow up quicker by dressing them in mini mum / teenage outfits, blazoned with 'LOL' or 'Love' words, putting them into a bed before they understand about staying in bed, letting them stay up late at night, letting them watch unsuitable films/apps, giving them huge choices too early.....to name a few areas!
    I think the word 'teacher' is being used, quite rightly, childminders and parents have always taught their children, what's brilliant is the acknowledgement that that is what we do when we play with the children.
    I agree the paperwork is heavy, but once you have your initial policies, medication and permissions the day to day is not too bad as long as you see it as part of the role and allow 'office time' to do it, like any self employed person, if anything since I started similar to you about 2 years ago, I think the paperwork is much lighter, Ofsted only expected to see evidence of progress and self evaluation after policies. I chose however to show everything I do, which is minimal compared to what I would be expected to do at a school.
    It's sad to hear of childminders giving up, but you need to be honest with yourself - very little has changed since we started, it has for lots of childminders that have been doing it for years, but since the current EYFS we knew when we started what was expected of us. My LEA pre registration training outlined the 'learning' aspect and expectation of current paperwork required, there is a great download section on here that also made me aware before I started what was expected. So perhaps it's not really the job in reality that you personally expected it to be, learning outcomes and the statuatory framework is the same, actually juggling working with young children, paperwork, management and working with parents and other agencies may not be your fortè, it certainly isn't everyone's.
    If you have only been childminding for 18 months you must have already been inspected, if initially it was your dream job and you have now lost enthusiasm don't give up on it yet.....it might be worth reviewing what is really difficult to achieve, what one or two things particulary affect your spark for the job, then addressing it in small steps and adjustments, whilst you enjoy supporting the children in their play........you will have quite a bit of time to adjust before Ofsted return

24. Likes FussyElmo liked this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast