How many of you home school
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How many of you home school

I all just a question and enquiry as to how many of you lovely childminders home educate either your own or other children whilst still childminding?

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't. We considered it for about five minutes but then decided against it, and I'm so glad that we did. Are you considering it? There are lots of blogs out there about mums/dads who do home school. Doing it whilst childminding adds another challenge, but seeing as home schooling narrows your chances of earning a living then child minding could be the answer, and where there's a will there's a way.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I am considering it. I've just had an unsuccessful appeal for my daughters placement in the preferred school. So this is my best option at the moment. The idea and logistics of it won't be a problem for me. I was just wonder how many childminders do it.
    You don't happen to know what the blogs are called?

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

There is one called 'Little Blossoms'. The writer used to be a childminder and she used to come on here. If you search in google lots of websites come up. A lot of them just give ideas for activities but some of them go into the experiences of home schooling - the good and the bad.

That is a shame about the appeal. Was it for a reception place? I take it they offered you a school that you were not happy with? That has happened to so many of my friends and family. x

Post Thanks / Like

It is a shame. I have another two older children already in the school and she is currently attending the nursery but wasn't offered a place. So I put in an appeal and actually had very compelling grounds and they rejected it on the grounds the school just didn't have the budget. Which actually confirms the whole process was a farse. Why put us all through it if they have no intention to give us a place. It has happened to so many here too. How the council expect a parent to be in two places at once with your children attending different schools! As a result I am in a little bit of a predicament. I was reluctant to move my older two as they are settled with strong friendships but when needs must I have looked into moving them. I have managed to find a good school that can take all of my children on only, I am planning to move house before Xmas and as I haven't found the house yet I don't know what catchment I will be in. So I have decided to leave my older children in their current school and home school my daughter until we move then put them all on the new school together wherever that may be. I don't see the point moving the older kiddies to move them again in such a short time. Plus this opens up my possibilities of where we can buy a house. I'm not tied to any one school so long as there is a demand for childminding and my husband can get To work. Great stuff.
    Last edited by ja-lula-belli; 22-06-2015 at 09:20 PM.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Gosh, that's tough. Is there no sibling policy in your school then? Do you know what number you are on the waiting list? My neighbour's child was 1st on a waiting list and so he took a gamble and home schooled his boy until a place became available. He only had to do it for two weeks, but we do live in an area with a high pupil turnover.

I agree, taking your older girls out of school wouldn't be a good idea. Is the other school close by? It may be worth you checking the times that school starts and ends each day. Some of our local mums have children in different schools but luckily one school starts at 8.50 and the other school starts at 9 and so they are able to just about do both drop offs. Or maybe your older girls could go to a breakfast club or a friends house to allow you to drop off your youngest daughter?

Post Thanks / Like

The school isn't near really especially in rush hour traffic but they do have a staggered start as my older kids school has breakfast club but they both finish at 3.15. And I couldn't possibly put my youngest in a different school to my others. That would be awful for her. The problem with moving the school at the moment is all my current work is around this school and actually from this school so financially moving them would mean having to cancel all my current mindees. Not a great idea. I know I might have to when we move but until then I still very much need my income. Lol the council really need to buck up their education and school availability. My children attend a welsh school and there is no way enough school places to meet the demand of children.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear, there are so many things to take into consideration aren't there?

My mindee got turned down from all six schools that they put on their application form and got offered a school at the other side of the borough with no direct bus route. They have decided to send him to private school as they have one just near them. We also 'had' to go private. My other mindee didn't get the schools they wanted and he was offered a school at a faith school (not his own faith), again not on a bus route. His mum has been able to drive him there and they actually love the school, but none of his school friends live near him. So many of our local schools are expanding (becoming 2 or 3 form entry) - ie taking up some of the playground with pre-fab cabins and there are still not enough spaces for local kids. I know so many families who have not been offered any of the six schools that they put on the form that it makes you wonder why you even bother applying in the first place. Sorry for the rant!

I'm sure you'll love home schooling your little one. x

Post Thanks / Like

No I feel the same. All I've wanted to do since this whole thing is rant, rant and even more ranting! Lol
    It's such a crazy council. They have so much backwards and priorities in the wrong places sometimes. I'm in Cardiff council. They have just announced a change in the black bins. Honestly, the cost of this change, which is not needed and actually not going to help anything should be put into better funding.

10. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your reply and listening to my complaining. Hahahah ! X

12. Likes Maza liked this post