Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Please help with charging

A parent has a approached me asking for 6.30am - 9.45 and 3.15 - 4.30 x 2 days a week.
    I normally charge £5 and hour but have always caught myself short with this type of care.
    I was thinking £20 for the morning £10 for after school? How does that sound to you guys x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I mean 8.45 school drop off

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smileyface View Post
    I mean 8.45 school drop off
    This is a really early start. If any of your other children leave at 6pm (or even 6.30pm), then you'll be doing over a 12 hour day (with set up/clear up time either side).

For the hours she's asking for, I'd charge a full day (as she is effectively blocking a space for the whole day as I don't think there's much chance of filling the bit in between). Also, I'd add on 2 hours at my overtime rate to cover the slot 6.30am to 8.30am.

I wouldn't touch this with a bargepole, otherwise.

All the best,

L

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smileyface View Post
    A parent has a approached me asking for 6.30am - 9.45 and 3.15 - 4.30 x 2 days a week.
    I normally charge £5 and hour but have always caught myself short with this type of care.
    I was thinking £20 for the morning £10 for after school? How does that sound to you guys x
    Is this for an Early Years child or a school aged child?

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you want to be up at that time of the morning on a cold, dark winter's day? If no, then it's not worth doing. Would be a long day, if you had other children leaving after 6pm
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to work 6:30-7 (with 9-3 at school) 2 days a week in my last place I lived, it was a killer. BUT I did it as otherwise parent would have had no other way! Her hubby had been deployed on 6months detachment.

I also had another child 6:30-1! I will never again work so early, I was digging myself into an early grave, and feel so sorry for people that need to get to work so early! BUT again, I often find my early start requests come from Doctors/nurse's due to their hours......

Hard call, but do not cut yourself short £30 a day seem an awful lot for 3 1/2 hours a day, only you can decide I'm afraid. (I used to charge £5 per hour if I started before 7:30, but notice thats your rate anyway- which again all depends on location and demand!)

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that 6:30 is an early start and as others have said could mean a very long day. If I was to do this I would charge £12.50 for the morn and £7.50 for the afternoon (I'm assuming they are school age?) I personally wouldn't feel that I could fill the middle of the day hours so I would only charge for what they are using.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I meant couldn't fill.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would charge £15 for the morning and £10 after school which is my flat rate for AS.
    Do you already go to that school? Don't forget to add on your time getting there and back. For school pick-ups I charge from the time I have to leave home not the time the child comes out.
    BUT, I wouldn't do it full stop. I really couldn't have a start that early. I used to start at 7.30am and that was awful. Now I start at 8am but 7.45am one day every 4 weeks (I can cope with that lol)

xxx

July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I would charge £15 for the morning and a minimum of £10 for the afternoon. Though I'm very doubtful I would even consider this, unless I had absolutely no work! The earliest I'd be prepared to start in the morning is 7:30. Even that's a struggle!!