Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default have you thought about another job?

In the last year or so I have been very fed up with childminding. I started looking at jobs a couple of months ago and applied for two. I didn't hear anything so forgot about it but a couple of days ago I was invited for an interview with one of them.
    I should be happy...it's everything I want.....part time hours...the hours I want........but I suddenly feel sick at the thought of giving my job up. when we first start out childminding we work so hard to get where we are now and it all seems like a waste. 3.5 years I have been doing it now so not long until I get another inspection but that doesn't worry me.
    I have never had to think twice about leaving a job but I am really worried I am going to regret it.
    Does anybody else feel like this when they start looking at other jobs.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's hard isn't it - I often look at other jobs and think "I would love to do that or I would be great at that" but never get as far as applying as I know I couldn't bear to give notice to my existing children and their families.

If you have an interview go for it and if you get offered it you have 2 choices take it or carry on childminding, if you don't go for the interview you don't have any option but continue childminding.

If you get offered the job but decide not to take it maybe you could look at what it is about childminding that is getting you down eg: cut down your hours, not do after school children anymore, take more holidays a year, take the children out to more toddler groups so you aren't so isolated and don't mess up the house so much, maybe give notice to a particular family.

The childminding you have done over the last 3 1/2 years won't have been a waste of time it will be practical experience in successfully running a business and picking up lots of experience that will stand you in good stead in any other career. Good luck

3. Likes keohane1, Ripeberry, funemnx liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by keohane1 View Post
    In the last year or so I have been very fed up with childminding. I started looking at jobs a couple of months ago and applied for two. I didn't hear anything so forgot about it but a couple of days ago I was invited for an interview with one of them.
    I should be happy...it's everything I want.....part time hours...the hours I want........but I suddenly feel sick at the thought of giving my job up. when we first start out childminding we work so hard to get where we are now and it all seems like a waste. 3.5 years I have been doing it now so not long until I get another inspection but that doesn't worry me.
    I have never had to think twice about leaving a job but I am really worried I am going to regret it.
    Does anybody else feel like this when they start looking at other jobs.
    The hardest step is going from self employed to employed....so freelance is an option
    Could you do that?

5. Likes keohane1 liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Simona, it's hard to give up being self employed. Could you keep your registration open so that if it doesn't work you can go back to it?

7. Likes keohane1 liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

the only thing that I would like about a new job is the guaranteed income, and not having to worry that someone will leave and not get replaced etc........other than that I do not miss being employed or commuting to work or being away from my own children!

At the moment I have 3 young children myself, 2 are at school but will still have to pay childcare for wrap around/holiday care and full time for my youngest! I may review everything in the future when they are all a lot older