Thread: The element

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default The element

A few years ago I discovered the Welcome Trust cafe opposite Euston station, it is an oasis of calm amid the business of that area, has lovely cakes provided by Peyton and Byrne AND it has a bookshop!!

I bought a book by my favourite speaker Ken Robinson there, I could listen to him for ages, ' How finding your Passion changes everything' - I read it on the train on the way home and thought it was such a great philosophy ....this morning, I get an email which linked me to this:

https://vimeo.com/53456183?utm_sourc...3adb-123450525

Again he talks very easily about his thoughts, it's from 2012 but very interesting, given the current issues around the limitating baseline assessment and the Prevent / British values agenda...well worth a listen.
    He reminded me of his book, which is now on my bedside table to read again.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    A few years ago I discovered the Welcome Trust cafe opposite Euston station, it is an oasis of calm amid the business of that area, has lovely cakes provided by Peyton and Byrne AND it has a bookshop!!

I bought a book by my favourite speaker Ken Robinson there, I could listen to him for ages, ' How finding your Passion changes everything' - I read it on the train on the way home and thought it was such a great philosophy ....this morning, I get an email which linked me to this:

https://vimeo.com/53456183?utm_sourc...3adb-123450525

Again he talks very easily about his thoughts, it's from 2012 but very interesting, given the current issues around the limitating baseline assessment and the Prevent / British values agenda...well worth a listen.
    He reminded me of his book, which is now on my bedside table to read again.
    Ken Robinson...there is a man who could teach politicians a thing or two about education...I like him a lot.

3. Likes lisbet, loocyloo liked this post
    Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Ken for Secretary of State for Education! He is FAB!

5. Likes FloraDora, loocyloo liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lisbet View Post
    Ken for Secretary of State for Education! He is FAB!
    His new book 'Creative schools' is just out.
    Watch this very short video discussing 'standardised education'. He does make a lot of sense!

Sir Ken Robinson on creative schools, transforming education - Videos - CBS News

7. Likes FloraDora, lisbet, loocyloo liked this post
    Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Watch this very short video discussing 'standardised education'. He does make a lot of sense!

Sir Ken Robinson on creative schools, transforming education - Videos - CBS News
    Ooh, thank you; had not seen this/ heard about that book - sounds inspiring! Shall we all chip in to buy Wilshaw and Morgan(Gove) a copy each?

9. Likes FloraDora, loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post

Purchased this and started reading this evening - world book night.
    He lives in the US now and this is largely about US schools so far, but still relevent to give you food for thought about the UK schools following the constant testing route.
    I did some research for the government around creative schools and curriculum in Australia - 10 years ago, but they have paid little regard to our conclusions - we should have had Ken Robinson with us, or doing our presentation on our return!