Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default AHHHHHH What have I done?

Just had a potential new parent leave - child is coming next week for a 2 hour settle in session,
    child is 20 months and still breast fed on demand,
    in cloth nappies (that stink),
    won't settle in a cot - has to fall asleep while being breast fed in the car or buggy,
    has an open beaker and is allowed to tip water all over the place
    has just emptied my fruit bowl and scoffed half the fruit!

I know I like a challenge but this one may be several points too far.

Thank goodness I updated my childcare.co.uk profile and my leaflet and increased my fees by 20p an hour.

I shouldn't be surprised as the parents e-mail address should have made it obvious what kind of parenting she preferred

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sounds like you will have to be very firm from the start with both parent and child. But don't write them off before you've even started, it may be fine.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Ooh all i can say is good luck!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You are braver than me

xxx

5. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Introduce them to your rules from the beginning and you'll have some hope of breaking them in!

Move the fruit bowl, don't let them walk round with a beaker of water... buy some air freshener and make sure you have a quick get out clause in your contract

Post Thanks / Like

You are a lot braver than me would not take on, also its in policy's parents provide disposable nappies, I am sorry but I am not scrapping poo out of cloth nappies for any amount of money.

I have just canceled an interview I was doing for new potential client who wanted one day a week for an 1 yr asap on the same day I have just taken on a 5 month old baby who only started on friday, after thinking about it and worrying decided did not need the stress and would rather get the baby settled first.

8. Likes TinyTinker liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KateA View Post
    You are a lot braver than me would not take on, also its in policy's parents provide disposable nappies, I am sorry but I am not scrapping poo out of cloth nappies for any amount of money.

I have just canceled an interview I was doing for new potential client who wanted one day a week for an 1 yr asap on the same day I have just taken on a 5 month old baby who only started on friday, after thinking about it and worrying decided did not need the stress and would rather get the baby settled first.
    I did ask her if it was ok if I put child in a disposable when we are out and she said that was ok (especially as they use reuseable liners too). I have said that I will work on rocking child to sleep in buggy in hall while others asleep but will work on getting her self settle in buggy upstairs and then see if cot is an option.

Will definitely be giving her beaker with lid on Mouse and have never had to move fruit bowl so will work on saying no and moving her away but she's a big strong willed child - really glad that I increased my fees by 20p - if I'd have had a crystal ball though I would have increased it by 50p!

10. Likes Maza, KateA, watgem liked this post
    Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a child who had reusable nappies plus reusable liners. They were to my surprise okay. By the time of potty training the nappies were not in pristine condition.

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If you and the Mum get on well, the practical details should sort themselves out

Once the LO feels safe with you they'll adapt to a new way of dropping off to sleep.

I used cloth nappies with my own children and they should not smell of anything unless pooed in (perhaps there are some washing issues?) If they continue to be stinky, maybe Mum will agree that you can use disposables whilst the LO is with you?

When did you say you say your next fee increase was due?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lisbet View Post
    If you and the Mum get on well, the practical details should sort themselves out.

:-) that was my first thought.
    Good luck and I hope mum is on board. Xx

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I also used cloth and they didn't smell unless dirty...also I doubt she'll expect you to deal with cleaning them! Just wrap them up as you would a disposable and ask her to provide a zipped wetbag, put all dirty ones in there and send home. They may need changing a bit more often but you'll have less stinky disposables sat in your black bin till bin day... :-)

I had a lo start that was rocked or cuddled to sleep and within a couple of days sleeping in buggy in my dining room, don't even bother with cot as no point changing what works! No crying it out I think I was v lucky, today she went to climb in the buggy after lunch, closed her eyes before I'd done up straps and slept 3 hours (I woke her! ), and she's a happy little darling all the time, def don't write them off yet but do be v firm fron the outset

15. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

What on earth did the mum do when the little one was helping herself to fruit?
    You HAVE to let us know how you get on!

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Well all I can say is good luck - you're going to be busy!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    Just had a potential new parent leave - child is coming next week for a 2 hour settle in session, child is 20 months and still breast fed on demand, in cloth nappies (that stink), won't settle in a cot - has to fall asleep while being breast fed in the car or buggy, has an open beaker and is allowed to tip water all over the place has just emptied my fruit bowl and scoffed half the fruit! I know I like a challenge but this one may be several points too far. Thank goodness I updated my childcare.co.uk profile and my leaflet and increased my fees by 20p an hour. I shouldn't be surprised as the parents e-mail address should have made it obvious what kind of parenting she preferred
    Parents email address?! I'm
    Intrigued! ....

19. Likes Maza liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lisbet View Post
    If you and the Mum get on well, the practical details should sort themselves out

Once the LO feels safe with you they'll adapt to a new way of dropping off to sleep.

I used cloth nappies with my own children and they should not smell of anything unless pooed in (perhaps there are some washing issues?) If they continue to be stinky, maybe Mum will agree that you can use disposables whilst the LO is with you?

I used old fashioned terry nappies, disposable liners and plastic pants (where the elastic left big marks on legs) so I have used cloth nappies (albeit 25+ years ago) back then in the dark ages, we put nappies to soak in a bucket with napisan powder and then boiled washed them and hung on washing line. The mum who came today says that you don't have to use Napisan these days and she washes the nappies at 40 degrees with Ecover washing powder. I didn't smell the nappy while the child was wearing it but when the mum changed a wet nappy before they left the smell of ammonia was really strong and lingered long after the child had left. How can a 40 degree wash kill any bacteria, my nappies never smelt like this?

21. Likes watgem liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    What on earth did the mum do when the little one was helping herself to fruit?
    You HAVE to let us know how you get on!
    To start with she just kept taking out bananas and playing with them and I kept putting them back, then she snapped off the stalk off of one so I said to the mum shall I cut it up for her so she can eat it up to the table (trying to make it clear that I don't allow children to walk around eating), so I ended sitting up all children and giving them an unexpected afternoon snack, then when child got down she took a bite out of an apple and then started on the satsumas - at this point I picked her and moved her to lounge to distract her. She won't get away with that again!

Post Thanks / Like

I really hate kids helping themselves to food.. One of my mindees just unpacks the cupboards and opens packets left right and centre. Never allowed my girls to do that they ask if they want a snack!

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    I used old fashioned terry nappies, disposable liners and plastic pants (where the elastic left big marks on legs) so I have used cloth nappies (albeit 25+ years ago) back then in the dark ages, we put nappies to soak in a bucket with napisan powder and then boiled washed them and hung on washing line. The mum who came today says that you don't have to use Napisan these days and she washes the nappies at 40 degrees with Ecover washing powder. I didn't smell the nappy while the child was wearing it but when the mum changed a wet nappy before they left the smell of ammonia was really strong and lingered long after the child had left. How can a 40 degree wash kill any bacteria, my nappies never smelt like this?
    Ammonia smell is a sign of bacteria/ detergent build-up. If it somehow comes up in conversation BioD Nappy Fresh is a good (and 'eco') sanitiser to add to a 40 degree wash.

I preferred to wash my nappies at 60 degrees on a thorough cotton wash with the 'extra water' option (and I loved seeing them blowing around on the washing line )

Hope LO is sweeter-smelling next time!

25. Likes hectors house, Maza, Dragonfly liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree a 60 wash every time, and add a nappy sanitiser when they get stinky!

27. Likes hectors house, watgem liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I would be tempted to even do a 90 degree wash if there was p@@ involved!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast