Who is doing anything about the eclipse on friday morning?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  17
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Our colander pic x

image-83029870.jpg

2. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

image.jpg

Just a quick iPad photo - you can see the shadow of the telescope in this- we were really pleased with the proper ones - though the partial eclipse was no where near as spectacular as the full one in 1999.

My under three's today kept calling it the moon as it was crescent shaped!
    Something sunk in though, as one played in the sand, she hid all the balls, " look, hiding like the sun" when I asked if the sun was hiding under sand, she laughed and said "the moon is hiding the sun". Yes!!
    None noticed the eery dusk like atmosphere though.

What they did like though was looking at the shadows through the colander and pizza tray, and spatula from the mud kitchen - This will be a regular activity now, playing with things making shadows- at this angle, I can't believe I haven't set something up before! We look at shadows on the floor and on the living room wall...but this was a great activity today. May use a painting easel though ....DH is in the middle of making a really sturdy outdoor one.....some adaptions might be in order.

We had a lovely morning - they all painted a sun whilst we were outdoors , and Orange and yellow hands, balls, table....when they wake up we are going to make a moon hide it - picture to take home then if they are up for it.

4. Likes lollipop kid, Jiorjiina liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Love your picture Flora Dora that's fab my littlies are too young to understand both 15months but loved playing and making shadows. I agree "99" was much better x

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    image.jpg

Just a quick iPad photo - you can see the shadow of the telescope in this- we were really pleased with the proper ones - though the partial eclipse was no where near as spectacular as the full one in 1999.

My under three's today kept calling it the moon as it was crescent shaped!
    Something sunk in though, as one played in the sand, she hid all the balls, " look, hiding like the sun" when I asked if the sun was hiding under sand, she laughed and said "the moon is hiding the sun". Yes!!
    None noticed the eery dusk like atmosphere though.

What they did like though was looking at the shadows through the colander and pizza tray, and spatula from the mud kitchen - This will be a regular activity now, playing with things making shadows- at this angle, I can't believe I haven't set something up before! We look at shadows on the floor and on the living room wall...but this was a great activity today. May use a painting easel though ....DH is in the middle of making a really sturdy outdoor one.....some adaptions might be in order.

We had a lovely morning - they all painted a sun whilst we were outdoors , and Orange and yellow hands, balls, table....when they wake up we are going to make a moon hide it - picture to take home then if they are up for it.
    Wow - great work, FloraDora! Love the shadow play idea. I also may 'borrow' your picture if that's OK, so that I can talk about the eclipse to my little ones when they're back on Monday.

(I didn't have any mindees today and was in overcast, darkish, very cold, North London during the eclipse. I didn't see a thing, but I did see the 1999 one using a makeshift pinhole camera and mirror from the roof of my then work in Central London - we were very lucky!)

L

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=lollipop kid;1395009]Wow - great work, FloraDora! Love the shadow play idea. I also may 'borrow' your picture if that's OK, so that I can talk about the eclipse to my little ones when they're back on Monday.
    I have better ones taken with the slr camera, I will post later as haven't uploaded them onto computer yet.

Though I think there will be super duper ones on the Internet over the weekend - Faroe Islands had loads of astronomers and it was a 99% eclipse there so I expect we will see some good photos from them.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Whereas I do agree the 1999 was good.

I have to admit being pretty hyped up about it today we had no cloud coverage and saw the whole thing. From the sun and then the moon starting coming over and the eerie atmosphere.

Loved it loved it can wait for stargazing later.

Missed it this morning due to being on a ministry of craft course making a lampshade. Its been a pretty surreal but good day
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It was so grey and cloudly here in kent that we didn't see anything. Although it was much darker for a while and really cold. The faternoon was perfect weather. Got a text from DP saying B....dy suns out now the eclipse is over! Of course it is' was my reply "It was behind the sun" Silly man!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12