Are you "outstanding" and why?!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  42
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Are you "outstanding" and why?!

I was just wondering for those that have been marked as outstanding (well done by the way!!) by OFSTED whether they know why you were marked so? What dyou think impressed your inspector on the day about your practice/setting? X

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's difficult to say what one thing ...I think it's an all round practise ...but my inspection felt like it was all about the way I taught, how well the children responded and how I knew them and planned for their next step progress, involving their parents...
    My report can be found here:

http://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/index.p...type=1&refer=0

3. Likes lollipop kid, Ripeberry, Tulip liked this post
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    It's difficult to say what one thing ...I think it's an all round practise ...but my inspection felt like it was all about the way I taught, how well the children responded and how I knew them and planned for their next step progress, involving their parents...
    My report can be found here:

http://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/index.p...type=1&refer=0
    Terrific report, FloraDora. You should be really proud.

I wish I lived closer to you to come and see first-hand what your Outstanding setting looks like!

Wishing you tons of continued success.

All the best,

L

5. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    It's difficult to say what one thing ...I think it's an all round practise ...but my inspection felt like it was all about the way I taught, how well the children responded and how I knew them and planned for their next step progress, involving their parents... My report can be found here: http://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/index.p...type=1&refer=0
    Wow flora what an amazing report! That's the best I've ever read! You must be so proud :-) :-) x

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic report, thanks for sharing

I have family live in Tamworth, well Warton and Austrey actually. I used to live in Birchmoor.

xxx

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

I had my first inspection in March 2010. I had done an SEF and on the day had no idea what to expect and was a nervous wreck to tell the truth. It was six months from when I first started to mind and I only had one child (aged 18 months). I'll go through the inspection: She arrived at 9am and I asked to see her ID on the doorstep, I then asked her to sign the diary to show that she was a visitor.
    She then wanted the loo and I showed her where it was (downstairs), she came in and sat at my dining room table where I had brought the whole filing box for her to look through. I had all my policies, documents, permissions, photos.
    She sat down at the table and asked me to carry on.
    Mindee was quite nervous and as the weather was nice we went outside to look at the chickens. We played some games with the gravel (making it run down drainpipes), played on the play equipment.
    It was snack time and I said that we always watch Cbeebies. I put the TV on and talked to mindee about what was going on the screen. I kept expecting to be asked lots of questions, but I had said everything in my SEF.
    The Ofsted inspector seemed to be checking what I had said with what she could see.
    In the end she only stayed 2 and half hours and at the end she seemed 'agitated'.
    She told me that she loved my paperwork (I did work in insurance for 14 years), and that it was the best she had ever seen. I was given my grad (Oustanding) and that I was the first person to be given it as a first grade!
    I hugged an Ofsted inspector!

I know I won't get that grade again. It was a fluke. I'm sure it was. There is not much call for CMs in my area and lots of fellow CMs do so much more than me. I will be giving it up in late July. But I'll always be proud of myself for being a 'Paperwork freak'. I still have the child, he is now 6 years old.
    I'm due an inspection any day and will still be nervous!

The key is to be 'different', be yourself and know your child (ren).
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

9. Likes FloraDora, primula liked this post
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ripeberry View Post
    I had my first inspection in March 2010. I had done an SEF and on the day had no idea what to expect and was a nervous wreck to tell the truth. It was six months from when I first started to mind and I only had one child (aged 18 months). I'll go through the inspection: She arrived at 9am and I asked to see her ID on the doorstep, I then asked her to sign the diary to show that she was a visitor.
    She then wanted the loo and I showed her where it was (downstairs), she came in and sat at my dining room table where I had brought the whole filing box for her to look through. I had all my policies, documents, permissions, photos.
    She sat down at the table and asked me to carry on.
    Mindee was quite nervous and as the weather was nice we went outside to look at the chickens. We played some games with the gravel (making it run down drainpipes), played on the play equipment.
    It was snack time and I said that we always watch Cbeebies. I put the TV on and talked to mindee about what was going on the screen. I kept expecting to be asked lots of questions, but I had said everything in my SEF.
    The Ofsted inspector seemed to be checking what I had said with what she could see.
    In the end she only stayed 2 and half hours and at the end she seemed 'agitated'.
    She told me that she loved my paperwork (I did work in insurance for 14 years), and that it was the best she had ever seen. I was given my grad (Oustanding) and that I was the first person to be given it as a first grade!
    I hugged an Ofsted inspector!

I know I won't get that grade again. It was a fluke. I'm sure it was. There is not much call for CMs in my area and lots of fellow CMs do so much more than me. I will be giving it up in late July. But I'll always be proud of myself for being a 'Paperwork freak'. I still have the child, he is now 6 years old.
    I'm due an inspection any day and will still be nervous!

The key is to be 'different', be yourself and know your child (ren).
    I'm sure it wasn't a fluke. Sad you're leaving!

L
    Last edited by lollipop kid; 28-02-2015 at 11:41 PM.

11. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had my first inspection in March 2010. I had done an SEF and on the day had no idea what to expect and was a nervous wreck to tell the truth. It was six months from when I first started to mind and I only had one child (aged 18 months). I'll go through the inspection: She arrived at 9am and I asked to see her ID on the doorstep, I then asked her to sign the diary to show that she was a visitor. She then wanted the loo and I showed her where it was (downstairs), she came in and sat at my dining room table where I had brought the whole filing box for her to look through. I had all my policies, documents, permissions, photos. She sat down at the table and asked me to carry on. Mindee was quite nervous and as the weather was nice we went outside to look at the chickens. We played some games with the gravel (making it run down drainpipes), played on the play equipment. It was snack time and I said that we always watch Cbeebies. I put the TV on and talked to mindee about what was going on the screen. I kept expecting to be asked lots of questions, but I had said everything in my SEF. The Ofsted inspector seemed to be checking what I had said with what she could see. In the end she only stayed 2 and half hours and at the end she seemed 'agitated'. She told me that she loved my paperwork (I did work in insurance for 14 years), and that it was the best she had ever seen. I was given my grad (Oustanding) and that I was the first person to be given it as a first grade! I hugged an Ofsted inspector! I know I won't get that grade again. It was a fluke. I'm sure it was. There is not much call for CMs in my area and lots of fellow CMs do so much more than me. I will be giving it up in late July. But I'll always be proud of myself for being a 'Paperwork freak'. I still have the child, he is now 6 years old. I'm due an inspection any day and will still be nervous! The key is to be 'different', be yourself and know your child (ren).
    It doesn't sound like a fluke to me either, sounds like you very much deserve it! :-)

13. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest I've no idea why. I don't see myself as different to other childminders who have got good and I've never asked why. I'm always too focused on the children when the inspector is there and glad when it's all over. Can't see it happening again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blue bear View Post
    To be honest I've no idea why. I don't see myself as different to other childminders who have got good and I've never asked why. I'm always too focused on the children when the inspector is there and glad when it's all over. Can't see it happening again.
    Did your report state why the inspector thought you deserved outstanding blue bear? I'm sure you will be awarded the same grade again :-)

16. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Did your report state why the inspector thought you deserved outstanding blue bear? I'm sure you will be awarded the same grade again :-)
    I can't do. Links, this is some of the last report hope thathelps, it's six years old and doesn't state this provider is outstanding because like they say this provider wasn't outstanding because if that makes sense.

The childminder offers an exciting, stimulating, child centred early years provision, where children are actively encouraged to be active, creative, independent learners. They have ownership of the setting as they each make their own decisions regarding the resources they wish to explore, either inside or outdoors. For example, one child decides to investigate a book within the cosy, well- resourced book corner, another decides to try 'magic painting' using a large sheet of paper that is spread on the floor, whilst a third child chooses to explore paint and later 'water paint' an outside wall. The childminder carefully follows the children's interests and they benefit from her active involvement in their play, such as whilst building a train track or when children decide to dance with coloured ribbons. She uses skilful questioning techniques to enhance and extend their learning, including when digging in the garden or experimenting with play dough. The childminder also plans a wide variety of practical play experiences to meet each child's developmental needs. She undertakes regular written observations and assessments of the children, which she uses, together with input from parents and other key early years providers, to plan the next steps in each child's learning. The written assessments are secured in the respective child's daily diaries to help keep parents informed about their child's progress. In addition, the childminder takes photographs of the children whilst engaged in activities. These are placed in the children's Learning Journey scrapbooks and carefully annotated with their links to the Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum.
    The children are very confident and settled in the provision. They behave well and benefit from the excellent role modelling demonstrated by the calm, caring childminder. The children have highly advanced self-care skills. They independently wash their hands before eating, spontaneously find a cloth in order to wipe down the slide and put on their own coats and boots prior to playing in the garden. The childminder places a high priority on children's safety. There is a range of measures in place to help protect children. Comprehensive risk assessments are in place, the premises are secure, gates prevent children accessing the stairs
    4 This inspection was carried out under sections 49 and 50 of the Childcare Act 2006

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blue bear View Post
    I can't do. Links, this is some of the last report hope thathelps, it's six years old and doesn't state this provider is outstanding because like they say this provider wasn't outstanding because if that makes sense. The childminder offers an exciting, stimulating, child centred early years provision, where children are actively encouraged to be active, creative, independent learners. They have ownership of the setting as they each make their own decisions regarding the resources they wish to explore, either inside or outdoors. For example, one child decides to investigate a book within the cosy, well- resourced book corner, another decides to try 'magic painting' using a large sheet of paper that is spread on the floor, whilst a third child chooses to explore paint and later 'water paint' an outside wall. The childminder carefully follows the children's interests and they benefit from her active involvement in their play, such as whilst building a train track or when children decide to dance with coloured ribbons. She uses skilful questioning techniques to enhance and extend their learning, including when digging in the garden or experimenting with play dough. The childminder also plans a wide variety of practical play experiences to meet each child's developmental needs. She undertakes regular written observations and assessments of the children, which she uses, together with input from parents and other key early years providers, to plan the next steps in each child's learning. The written assessments are secured in the respective child's daily diaries to help keep parents informed about their child's progress. In addition, the childminder takes photographs of the children whilst engaged in activities. These are placed in the children's Learning Journey scrapbooks and carefully annotated with their links to the Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum. The children are very confident and settled in the provision. They behave well and benefit from the excellent role modelling demonstrated by the calm, caring childminder. The children have highly advanced self-care skills. They independently wash their hands before eating, spontaneously find a cloth in order to wipe down the slide and put on their own coats and boots prior to playing in the garden. The childminder places a high priority on children's safety. There is a range of measures in place to help protect children. Comprehensive risk assessments are in place, the premises are secure, gates prevent children accessing the stairs 4 This inspection was carried out under sections 49 and 50 of the Childcare Act 2006
    That's great blue boar - well done :-)

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is the link to my report: Ofsted | EY387212
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

20. Likes Tulip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is the link to my report: Ofsted | EY387212
    This is fantastic ripeberry, it sounds like you thoroughly deserve your grade, I don't know why you think it was a fluke?! :-)

22. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I got lucky. I had an inspector who spent most the day here because she was prepared to listen and ask questions. One who did not simply poise like a cobra waiting to strike when I made a mistake (like forgetting to A-bac the changing mat) but who realised I was nervous under 'exam conditions' and asked "did you forget anything that you'd normally do automatically." Bless her. One who took account of the fact that I had to give a lot of time to my granddaughter who was with me at the time and in bits because her parents had split up days earlier.

I got lucky. I was inspected earlier than I should've been. I had only a handful of children on roll, and only 1 mindee plus granddaughter present at the time. I wasn't having to juggle lots of trips to/from school/preschool etc. To put it another way, I wasn't actually meeting the complex needs of many families, and I was a long way from running a viable, sustainable business.

I got lucky. The emphasis for inspection at the time was very much about safety, care, paperwork. Having come from the rail industry this was all stuff that ran through my veins.

24. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    I got lucky. I had an inspector who spent most the day here because she was prepared to listen and ask questions. One who did not simply poise like a cobra waiting to strike when I made a mistake (like forgetting to A-bac the changing mat) but who realised I was nervous under 'exam conditions' and asked "did you forget anything that you'd normally do automatically." Bless her. One who took account of the fact that I had to give a lot of time to my granddaughter who was with me at the time and in bits because her parents had split up days earlier. I got lucky. I was inspected earlier than I should've been. I had only a handful of children on roll, and only 1 mindee plus granddaughter present at the time. I wasn't having to juggle lots of trips to/from school/preschool etc. To put it another way, I wasn't actually meeting the complex needs of many families, and I was a long way from running a viable, sustainable business. I got lucky. The emphasis for inspection at the time was very much about safety, care, paperwork. Having come from the rail industry this was all stuff that ran through my veins.
    I don't think you simply "got lucky" bunyip I'm sure you deserved your grading :-)
    What were the inspectors comments bunyip?

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

This is where some people will no doubt come to take "offence", but here goes, cos it needs saying. If I say it now whilst I've got the outstanding grade, then I can't be told to "shut up" or be accused of sour grapes in a year or 2 when I've been downgraded. If I'm going to be accused of anything then anyone is welcome to criticise me for taking advantage of the grade. I do put it in my advertising, simply because I've found it goes some way to counter the small amount of anti-male-CM prejudice I very occasionally encounter, and I have comments from parents to back up this defence.

For heaven's sake, don't set out to be graded 'outstanding'. Be the best you can for yourself, the children, the families. You can go rather wrong by chasing the grade.

There are a few too many CMs who get a bit smug and condescending about their grade and how much better they are than the rest. There is also an established pattern of 'outstanding' CMs basking in the "due reward for all their hard work" (as if nobody else worked as hard ) and non-outstanding CMs saying their inspector was rubbish.

Fair dues, a lot of CMs work hard and a lot of inspection judgements seem very arbitrary or down to inspectors making up the rules as they go along: insistence on toy box labels, bans on sippy cups, etc. etc. The inspection system is a farce, and another nasty example of government league-table mentality taken way too far. Does it help parents find a truly suitable CM? Do we need different grades? Would this sort of classification be accepted in everyday life? How about re-testing drivers every 4 years, grading them and telling them which roads they can and can't use? Ridiculous.

Well, I'm the first to admit there are a lot of better CMs than me (probably better than I'll ever be) who will probably never get the outstanding tag.

I'm pretty darned sure I will not be 'outstanding' at my next inspection in spite of - in fact, I'm going to stick my neck out and say because of the fact I now do a better job of caring for children and meeting families' needs than I did when inspected. At that time I had 1 mindee present (plus my granddaughter who was in bits as her mum and dad split up days earlier). I had a good inspector who listened and didn't just look to find fault. She was interested in what I was capable of. There was quite an emphasis on training, safety, care, paperwork. That stuff runs through my veins, coming from the rail industry.

Now, I'm afraid it's all the University of Toddlerdom: education, education, edublo00dycation. Can they hold a pencil in the official State-sanctioned 'tripod grip'? Are they ready for school, even if school isn't ready for them? And are we promoting the ruling Party propaganda in the form of British Values, etc.?

Well I will be downgraded because I make too many trips to/from school/preschool, etc. because my clients don't need nursery-style 'sessions' where I tell them when to arrive/depart. Because I provide a home-setting, not a mini-nursery or hot-house to prepare them for school. Because they're allowed to finish meals in a relaxed manner with good conversation, not rush them to fit the 20-minute 'sittings' the village school will impose on them this September.

I will be downgraded because I no longer have the luxury of a 4 day week with a day free to attend pointless 'training' seminars run by LA pen-pushers who have to 'teach' us advanced courses in the bl33ding obvious, otherwise some manager might just notice how useless they are and recoup their unjustifiable salary in the next round of budget-driven redundancies.

I will be downgraded because I have still to catch up the backlog of paperwork which accumulated when I spent a year doing the pointless level 3 diploma tick-list.

I will be downgraded because I cannot demonstrate 'partnership' with other CMs locally. I left the local CM group because it was a bullying mafia-stylr cartel that tried to dictate what we supposedly self-employed CMs do, charge, our policies and practices, etc. and carve up all the local business in favour of the dominant long-standing members who, in the opinion of several parents I know, are not fit to look after a dog. Tbh, even if all the idiots and selfish ones had left and it's been just the nicer ones, I never quite saw how much 'development' we were supposed to derive from chats about shoes, Corrie, and Centerparcs (I can get quite enough banality of that sort in the playground. )

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    I don't think you simply "got lucky" bunyip I'm sure you deserved your grading :-)
    What were the inspectors comments bunyip?
    With all due respect, and no offence, etc, that's a very nice and kind comment, but you can only be basing it on the flimsiest of evidence. Have we even met? (We may have..........a lot of my life is a blur once the cider kicks in. )

Her comments centred around the fact that she'd like to have given me outstanding in all areas, but knew she'd already have trouble getting an overall outstanding past her manager's 'quality assurance' process for a first inspection with a CM who had no previous experience in the childcare sector (not true - I have nephews and used to babysit for the former Uruguayan Cultural Attache .)

So I got downgraded for diversity stuff cos she absolutely had to give me an area on which she could make suggestions for improvement. (There is a funny story to this, but I'm not going to push my luck.......................... )

I don't say this to blow my own trumpet. I say it because it proves what an absolute farce the inspection system is.
    Last edited by bunyip; 01-03-2015 at 08:16 PM.

28. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Just thinking outside the box. Could the ability to be graded 'outstanding' be carried genetically?

There's only one sure way of testing this scientifically: breed an 'outstanding' male CM with an 'outstanding' female CM.

Unfortunately, my favourite 'outstanding' female counterpart seems to be away.

If you're out there...................................

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh Bunyip you make me laugh

Suppose we just carry on, we do the best for the children and families and what will be on inspection day will be.

31. Likes lollipop kid liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast