Are you "outstanding" and why?!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  42
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    With all due respect, and no offence, etc, that's a very nice and kind comment, but you can only be basing it on the flimsiest of evidence. Have we even met? (We may have..........a lot of my life is a blur once the cider kicks in. ) Her comments centred around the fact that she'd like to have given me outstanding in all areas, but knew she'd already have trouble getting an overall outstanding past her manager's 'quality assurance' process for a first inspection with a CM who had no previous experience in the childcare sector (not true - I have nephews and used to babysit for the former Uruguayan Cultural Attache .) So I got downgraded for diversity stuff cos she absolutely had to give me an area on which she could make suggestions for improvement. (There is a funny story to this, but I'm not going to push my luck.......................... ) I don't say this to blow my own trumpet. I say it because it proves what an absolute farce the inspection system is.
    Bunyip you're so reserved and timid, I wish you'd speak your mind more ;-) We won't bite! :-)

2. Likes hectors house, VeggieSausage liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    It's difficult to say what one thing ...I think it's an all round practise ...but my inspection felt like it was all about the way I taught, how well the children responded and how I knew them and planned for their next step progress, involving their parents...
    My report can be found here:

http://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/index.p...type=1&refer=0
    Excellent report Flora Dora
    I was looking at the 4 areas that Ofsted grade at the moment and compared it with the 4 areas they will grade from Sept 2015

Same but worded differently to reflect the Common framework but Leadership and Management are now on the top of the grading list
    Interesting!

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Bunyip you're so reserved and timid, I wish you'd speak your mind more ;-) We won't bite! :-)
    Oh really.............?

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Just thinking outside the box. Could the ability to be graded 'outstanding' be carried genetically?

There's only one sure way of testing this scientifically: breed an 'outstanding' male CM with an 'outstanding' female CM.

Unfortunately, my favourite 'outstanding' female counterpart seems to be away.

If you're out there...................................
    Now, how's that for excellent timing ?!!!!!?

6. Likes JCrakers liked this post
    Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

With all due respect, and no offence, etc, that's a very nice and kind comment, but you can only be basing it on the flimsiest of evidence. Have we even met? (We may have..........a lot of my life is a blur once the cider kicks in. )

Her comments centred around the fact that she'd like to have given me outstanding in all areas, but knew she'd already have trouble getting an overall outstanding past her manager's 'quality assurance' process for a first inspection with a CM who had no previous experience in the childcare sector (not true - I have nephews and used to babysit for the former Uruguayan Cultural Attache .)

So I got downgraded for diversity stuff cos she absolutely had to give me an area on which she could make suggestions for improvement. (There is a funny story to this, but I'm not going to push my luck.......................... )

I don't say this to blow my own trumpet. I say it because it proves what an absolute farce the inspection system is.
    Very true Bunyip. That's why I say my grade is a 'fluke'. Many of my fellow CMs had lower grades but they did and still do , tons more stuff than I do or could ever imagine! I think at the end of the day, some inspectors make up their mind before they even set foot through the door and that is very, very wrong
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

8. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Jun 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ripeberry View Post
    Very true Bunyip. That's why I say my grade is a 'fluke'. Many of my fellow CMs had lower grades but they did and still do , tons more stuff than I do or could ever imagine! I think at the end of the day, some inspectors make up their mind before they even set foot through the door and that is very, very wrong
    I absolutely believe this was the case with our inspection. When we first got the call we requested a joint inspection (stupid not to) and the office told us a certain inspector (named to us would be out a certain week). When this inspector called she was most indignant that we already knew when she was coming. Queue snotty tone "no one has access to my private diary. I - and only I - dictate where and when I go." She then left us a month (yes a MONTH) before phoning again. She was very passive aggressive during the inspection and I believe didn't like the fact we didn't cow down to her. She gave us 'good' with ludicrously lame recommendations.
    I know we are excellent childminders - our children and parents tell us every day. Ofsted's opinion when so unfairly based means diddly squat to us.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ripeberry View Post
    I think at the end of the day, some inspectors make up their mind before they even set foot through the door and that is very, very wrong
    I think the was true with my inspector, but in as much as she'd already decided I was outstanding. She'd inspected me the time before and had read my (very comprehensive) SEF. She spent most of the inspection looking for evidence to back up what I'd written in my SEF. Admittedly, I did do everything I claimed to do and she could see proof of it, but there were examples that she picked up on as 'proof' which really were just accidental coincidences. For example, I got the play dough out, but couldn't find the tools. I bluffed, telling the children we were going to see what we could make just using our hands. She interpreted this as me providing an activity to help strengthen a child's hands (nursery had highlighted this child having weak hands) and praised me for it! Very nice of her, but it wasn't intentional at all. I was just trying to cover up my lack of organisation!
    Rather than looking for reasons to mark me down, she was definitely looking for reasons to give me outstanding. It was nice to get, but a lot to live up to. I'll be disappointed not to get it again, but it will be a bit of a relief

11. Likes hectors house liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post

Excellent report Flora Dora
    I was looking at the 4 areas that Ofsted grade at the moment and compared it with the 4 areas they will grade from Sept 2015

Same but worded differently to reflect the Common framework but Leadership and Management are now on the top of the grading list
    Interesting!
    Leadership and management? Huh!
    I lead and manage myself!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

A quick guide on how to fast-track your way to outstanding. At all times remember: the only person that matters in the Ofsted Inspectre.

1. Filch all your policies and paperwork from an experienced CM. Put your business logo on to make them uniquely yours.

2. Attend lots of playgroups, your local CM group and the local children's centre for just long enough to provide proof of 'partnership working'. The children's centre will give you a nice letter and the CM group will give you lots of coffee and toast and bad advice.

3. Stick lots of pictures on the wall. Some should be painted (poorly) by children. The rest should be an assortment of people of lots of different colours, making extensive use of an assortment of crutches, white sticks, wheelchairs and other mobility aids. Make sure some people are holding hands with members of their own sex.................and smiling, LOTS of smiling.

4. Attend as many training courses as possible. Don't worry if you learn nothing: this is normal. Remember, you're only there for the certificate.

5. Learn all the key phrases: partnership with parents, baseline assessment, continuous professional development, flexibility, British Values, learning, next steps, etc. etc. You will need to say these to your inspector as frequently as possible: they don't understand normal language.

6. Purchase a large selection of academic-looking books on child development and display these prominently. Don't worry: you will never be required to read them.

7. Stick a no-smoking sign in your hall, adjacent to another which says "welcome" in 47 languages which will never be spoken within 50 miles of your address. Add the Ofsted contact details poster (the one with the bored-looking 'diversity' children sitting by a headless nursery-worker on a blue carpet covered in what appears to be a mercilessly-destroyed white sliced loaf.) Ensure these are all laminated, or you will be graded 'inadequate'.

8. Get hold of a good 'parent feedback questionnaire' (see item 1, above.) Make several copies. Get all your bestest friends to fill these in for you. Nicely.

9. Oh yes: children (nearly forgot). Recruit as few children as possible. Interview lots, take on only the brightest and best-behaved. Ensure their parents do not work shifts or other difficult hours that might interrupt your routine. Remember, it's your routine: not the parents', definitely not the children's - it's yours. Don't let anyone muck about with it over the petty demands of their jobs, family life, etc. . Parents must also be totally passive and subservient to the needs of your setting. They will be required to complete toddler homework, make 'positive' comments about your setting, etc. etc. without fail. They must do what they are told when they are told how they are told, first time, every time (this is referred to as 'partnership working'.) Remember to refer to them as "parents" or "clients" but it may help to simply think of them as "stooges".

10. Almost there............... Now, start your 'learning and development' records. You must describe each child's starting point (that's "baseline assessment" to us 'professionals') as if the child was plucked from a Ceausescu-era Romanian orphanage by parents who decided to leave the smart ones behind and pick the kid they felt most sorry for. The lower you set that bar, the higher you can 'prove' you've raised it. Don't overdo this. Easy to prove you're the world's best teacher-childminder (you can even buy yourself a coffee mug with that on, and make out it was a present from the lo's) but don't go writing down that they came to you with no legs and now they can walk. 'Outstanding' is one thing; Messianic miracle-working can be a difficult one to get past even the dumbest inspectre.

11. And finally.............. be useless. The worst thing you can possibly be in the eyes of an inspectre is perfect, capable, or even competent. If you're any good, how on earth do you expect to be able to provide evidence of continuous improvement? Stands to reason, don't it?

Or, alternatively................ we could all just try to be the best CMs we can be for the children, for the families and flick a contemptuous 'V' in Ofsted's direction to say we care about children more than they ever could.
    Last edited by bunyip; 03-03-2015 at 08:01 PM.

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

A quick guide on how to fast-track your way to outstanding. At all times remember: the only person that matters in the Ofsted Inspectre.

Or, alternatively................ we could all just try to be the best CMs we can be for the children, for the families and flick a contemptuous 'V' in Ofsted's direction to say we care about children more than they ever could.
    Loving your post, Bunyip! Keep 'em coming.

I've found a poster which reads: "I'm going to stand outside. If anyone asks, I'm out standing".

Works for me!

L

15. Likes bunyip, Maza, loocyloo, Ripeberry liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A quick guide on how to fast-track your way to outstanding. At all times remember: the only person that matters in the Ofsted Inspectre. 1. Filch all your policies and paperwork from an experienced CM. Put your business logo on to make them uniquely yours. 2. Attend lots of playgroups, your local CM group and the local children's centre for just long enough to provide proof of 'partnership working'. The children's centre will give you a nice letter and the CM group will give you lots of coffee and toast and bad advice. 3. Stick lots of pictures on the wall. Some should be painted (poorly) by children. The rest should be an assortment of people of lots of different colours, making extensive use of an assortment of crutches, white sticks, wheelchairs and other mobility aids. Make sure some people are holding hands with members of their own sex.................and smiling, LOTS of smiling. 4. Attend as many training courses as possible. Don't worry if you learn nothing: this is normal. Remember, you're only there for the certificate. 5. Learn all the key phrases: partnership with parents, baseline assessment, continuous professional development, flexibility, British Values, learning, next steps, etc. etc. You will need to say these to your inspector as frequently as possible: they don't understand normal language. 6. Purchase a large selection of academic-looking books on child development and display these prominently. Don't worry: you will never be required to read them. 7. Stick a no-smoking sign in your hall, adjacent to another which says "welcome" in 47 languages which will never be spoken within 50 miles of your address. Add the Ofsted contact details poster (the one with the bored-looking 'diversity' children sitting by a headless nursery-worker on a blue carpet covered in what appears to be a mercilessly-destroyed white sliced loaf.) Ensure these are all laminated, or you will be graded 'inadequate'. 8. Get hold of a good 'parent feedback questionnaire' (see item 1, above.) Make several copies. Get all your bestest friends to fill these in for you. Nicely. 9. Oh yes: children (nearly forgot). Recruit as few children as possible. Interview lots, take on only the brightest and best-behaved. Ensure their parents do not work shifts or other difficult hours that might interrupt your routine. Remember, it's your routine: not the parents', definitely not the children's - it's yours. Don't let anyone muck about with it over the petty demands of their jobs, family life, etc. . Parents must also be totally passive and subservient to the needs of your setting. They will be required to complete toddler homework, make 'positive' comments about your setting, etc. etc. without fail. They must do what they are told when they are told how they are told, first time, every time (this is referred to as 'partnership working'.) Remember to refer to them as "parents" or "clients" but it may help to simply think of them as "stooges". 10. Almost there............... Now, start your 'learning and development' records. You must describe each child's starting point (that's "baseline assessment" to us 'professionals') as if the child was plucked from a Ceausescu-era Romanian orphanage by parents who decided to leave the smart ones behind and pick the kid they felt most sorry for. The lower you set that bar, the higher you can 'prove' you've raised it. Don't overdo this. Easy to prove you're the world's best teacher-childminder (you can even buy yourself a coffee mug with that on, and make out it was a present from the lo's) but don't go writing down that they came to you with no legs and now they can walk. 'Outstanding' is one thing; Messianic miracle-working can be a difficult one to get past even the dumbest inspectre. 11. And finally.............. be useless. The worst thing you can possibly be in the eyes of an inspectre is perfect, capable, or even competent. If you're any good, how on earth do you expect to be able to provide evidence of continuous improvement? Stands to reason, don't it? Or, alternatively................ we could all just try to be the best CMs we can be for the children, for the families and flick a contemptuous 'V' in Ofsted's direction to say we care about children more than they ever could.
    Lol bunyip, you're in the wrong job, you should write a column! Too funny!

Now forgive me, I'm off to do all of the above ;-)

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Sadly true!! Don't forget to add to number 4, that you only attend training for the certificate, AND the CPD hours. I know two childminder who attended the same course two years running because they needed to do 12 hours training per year

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

This one lollipop ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

19. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    This one lollipop ?
    I want this! Fantastic :-)

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    This one lollipop ?
    Yeah!!! I think we should all have this.

(It makes me smiles every day!) Hope my next inspector has a sense of humour!

L

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Truthfully I don't want to be outstanding because it stands for everything I'm against. I had everything perfect and have 20yrs of childcare experience to be told 'I cant be outstanding because I don't network'

I've worked so hard over the past 7.5yrs to achieve it and 2 statements my inspector said to me made me lose faith in the whole system.

'Only nurseries get outstanding and have more chance to achieve it because they have large networks and children with SEN ' What more can I say Its laughable.

I'm not trying for Outstanding anymore. If I get it then fab but if not i'm not really interested. There's more to life, like the parents and children's happiness
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

23. Likes Ripeberry, AliceK, bunyip liked this post
    Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    Truthfully I don't want to be outstanding because it stands for everything I'm against. I had everything perfect and have 20yrs of childcare experience to be told 'I cant be outstanding because I don't network'

I've worked so hard over the past 7.5yrs to achieve it and 2 statements my inspector said to me made me lose faith in the whole system.

'Only nurseries get outstanding and have more chance to achieve it because they have large networks and children with SEN ' What more can I say Its laughable.

I'm not trying for Outstanding anymore. If I get it then fab but if not i'm not really interested. There's more to life, like the parents and children's happiness
    Very true!
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    Leadership and management? Huh!
    I lead and manage myself!
    Too right you do as do all cms....one set of shoulders bearing the weight of it all...try explaining this to other providers who sometimes look blank when I explain!

On another subject...it would be really useful to separate OFSTED from the Tribal/Prospect inspectors...the 2 are not the same
    Ofsted tendered the inspection to 2 private companies...we can work out the reasons for ourselves.
    The real Ofsted inspectors do not go anywhere near cms....as you know other settings get re-inspected by Ofsted when they receive RI/Inadequate but not Cms...they won't include us in that rethink
    I leave it to you to work out why but I would also encourage you to raise that as a concern

Many cms here would have known the system when Ofsted took over
    Things have gone really bad in the past ...but...Ofsted have acknowledged their shortcomings and via the OBC brought to account
    We achieved a lot including the rethinking of complaint driven inspections and much more via those meetings.

I wonder if any cm has ever spoken to a Tribal/Prospect inspector? or an ex Ofsted inspector? do you know any?
    I see and speak to a few...they are normal people and they too have anxieties when inspecting...many really like inspecting cms and our unique practice

Unfortunately many cms becoming very much against Ofsted and being really scared of the inspectorate and that is driving some in the arms of agencies....check that out if you can.

Outstanding...a grade can mean a lot to some cms and very little to others as long as it is not below Good...how it is achieved is really up to us but I doubt some of the reasons given here are true of cms

Why are we belittling cms and the O grade?
    Also let's not forget that any grade awarded by Tribal/Prospect has to be endorsed by Ofsted Quality Assurance...why? are they not trained well enough for their judgement to be accepted?
    Before the arrival of Ofsted we did not have grades ...just very good inspections from Social Services....those were the people who we could not fool regardless of the number of training we attended or whatever else is listed below.

However I do think that the O grade is becoming important to parents and a factor in the 'childcare market'..no surprise there unfortunately
    getting an O grade does not mean there is no room for improvement...on the contrary.
    It is Ofsted who introduced the Outstanding Logo...some settings use it for marketing...others do not ...can't recall Social Services giving a logo but if parents approached them for recommendations it was a genuine one...much better than any cheap logo

Personally I do not recognise any of the listed reasons below that give us an Outstanding...some providers really work hard to achieve that and it needs to be respected because it is important to them...others accumulate certificates and training and basically never learn anything and move on...that will come out in an inspection
    Working with children is much more that getting an O grade...I would be the first to vote for the grading to go and all that it entails.

We do differ in opinions of course but what matters is positivity and getting involved...nothing will ever change if all we do is criticise and never put our hand up to be heard!

I would like to attend a meeting/conference in the near future with 'hundreds' of cms raising their worries ...not just the usual faces that appear all the time.
    Last edited by Simona; 04-03-2015 at 09:49 AM.

26. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit that I am guilty of "slightly" engineering my Outstanding grade - I researched my inspector, found out what she was "picky" on and made sure I included phrases in my SEF on these things to make sure she couldn't pick me up on them - I really did do these things and had observations and photos playing on a digital photo frame to proof it but really wanted to emphasis them.

I also used some techniques gained from many years of watching house makeover and how to sell your house programmes - I set the scene that children could do outdoor reading by putting the garden bench on the deck, with a blanket, comfy cushions and box of books beside it. When in reality although there is normally a box of books in the summer house the children rarely look at them (I did leave the bench and book box on the deck for a week but as they didn't look at them I moved it back into the garden/summer house).

I also said in my SEF that I had re-registered in 2005 and was graded good, the EYFS was introduced in 2008 and I jumped through hoops but was still graded Good in 2009, in 2012 & 2014 the EYFS changed again, I jumped through every higher and smaller hoops and that this time I had graded myself Outstanding - and the inspector agreed.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't want an 'outstanding' either... I too have very little faith in the grading system used.

I've seen 'inadequate/needs improvement' childcare providers do a far better job for the children in their care than others graded 'good' or 'outstanding'
    If we know of and can see the 'inconsistencies' then how can we have faith in the system?

I worry for any outstanding provider - how do prospective parents view a provider that 'loses' that grade on their next inspection? Current parents will obviously stand by minder, and be vocal about the injustice, but a few years down the line, when these supportive parents have left and it's new ones searching out inspection reports, does it have an effect later?

I don't mean loosing it through any wrongdoing on the providers behalf, but because the 'goal posts' keep getting moved about and whilst a provider excelled when paperwork was the focus, suddenly paperwork is less of an issue and 'teaching' is, or 'management' or having windmills in the garden...

I take my hat off to anyone that manages to get through ANY inspection in one piece these days

29. Likes bunyip liked this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast