Ideas for other jobs with our experience
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  31
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ideas for other jobs with our experience

Have seen several threads recently with people getting out of childminding or thinking of re training for the future like nursery workers, child play workers in hospitals and nvq tutoring and assessing and thought it might be useful for people to have one thread where ideas were batted around! I love my job most days but I don't think I will do it forever and I have about three years before my eldest starts secondary and then they won't be home until 4ish.

I am thinking of going down the route of special needs assistant or the play worker in hospital, but would love ideas of what others are doing / training for / thinking of

Of course lots of people just getting started or still want to do the minding for many years so please ignore if so!!

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smurfette View Post
    Have seen several threads recently with people getting out of childminding or thinking of re training for the future like nursery workers, child play workers in hospitals and nvq tutoring and assessing and thought it might be useful for people to have one thread where ideas were batted around! I love my job most days but I don't think I will do it forever and I have about three years before my eldest starts secondary and then they won't be home until 4ish.

I am thinking of going down the route of special needs assistant or the play worker in hospital, but would love ideas of what others are doing / training for / thinking of

Of course lots of people just getting started or still want to do the minding for many years so please ignore if so!!
    I am seriously thinking about re-training as an Ofsted Inspector in say about 5 years time. (I just want to get a decent grade again, then who knows! At first I was only being tongue-in-cheek, but wouldn't it be great if some of the Inspectors actually had Childminding experience??!)

L

3. Likes Maza liked this post
    Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Great idea for a thread!!
    Yes I'm in the same boat - am looking at nvq assessing. Perhaps do some nursery work to get varied experience. Yes ofsted inspector. Right up my street! Would love to do that

Post Thanks / Like

When people leave childminding, what's usually their reason for doing so?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    I suppose they get fed up of their homes being taken over! Or their kids grow out of the toys and they still have all the toddler paraphonalia about .. Or in the uk Ofsted .. I am in Ireland so thank fully don't have to worry about that, things are more relaxed here .. I earn a good wage and I am lucky that there is a demand where I live, but I think it might be nice to come home to a clean house an

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smurfette View Post

I suppose they get fed up of their homes being taken over! Or their kids grow out of the toys and they still have all the toddler paraphonalia about .. Or in the uk Ofsted .. I am in Ireland so thank fully don't have to worry about that, things are more relaxed here .. I earn a good wage and I am lucky that there is a demand where I live, but I think it might be nice to come home to a clean house an
    A clean house??? What is that lol
    Tess1981

8. Likes Jayse74, Maza liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lollipop kid View Post
    I am seriously thinking about re-training as an Ofsted Inspector in say about 5 years time. (I just want to get a decent grade again, then who knows! At first I was only being tongue-in-cheek, but wouldn't it be great if some of the Inspectors actually had Childminding experience??!)

L
    My inspector was thinking of returning to childminding as their jobs are not stable currently. She looks after her grandson so was thinking of re registering.....going the other way.

I am also an Educational consultant in my spare time, which keeps my skills up. I am more and more being asked to support Acadamy schools with nurseries though, but school improvement support for leadership teams , following an RI is my usual area. I must admit I like childminding better, spending your day playing with children is much more fun than talking to grown ups!!

10. Likes lollipop kid, loocyloo, hectors house liked this post
    Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Some inspectors do have childminding experience, others have been or are currently early years practitioners / managers in nurseries and pe-schools.

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

as you know i am going back into nursery work. I've had enough of my job as a childminder taking over my whole life and my house no longer being my home. my youngest went off to uni 6 yrs ago and it's time to move on.

13. Likes fluff1975 liked this post
    Jan 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Nannying........still see all my c/minding friends and work the same but knowing that my home is tidy and that Ofsted are no longer lurking! My last inspector was an ex c/minder and ( I'm sadden to say) ....she was horrid, she was the sole reason that after 24yrs as a minder I came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth putting myself through the torture despite once again getting a good with outstandings

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Great idea for a thread!

I am looking into becoming a family support worker. The basic qualification in the L3 CYPW (or equivalent) which I am just finishing, and some experience of supporting families. I have just registered for the 2 year old funding and our local prison is currently looking for family support volunteers, so I've applied to go and try that too. If it all works out, I think I'm probably looking at another two years at least before I actually quit.

My main reason for leaving childminding is because I am single and I'm not even earning enough money to support myself. I still live with my parents, because I can't afford to leave home (I couldn't before I started either, because it was the middle of the recession and I couldn't find any job above minimum wage, and rent here means you need to earn more than that).

I looked at nursery work (also one of the ways they suggest getting some experience in supporting families) but honestly, I don't want to do the same thing working for someone, I would rather do something different. I love childminding, but it just doesn't pay enough.

16. Likes FloraDora, Maza, lollipop kid, Ripeberry liked this post
    Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Family support sounds really interesting! I'm really open to ideas actually, I keep changing my mind!

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Something as far away from children as possible. Probably a one way ticket to Mars
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

19. Likes Ripeberry, ziggy, keohane1 liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    Something as far away from children as possible. Probably a one way ticket to Mars
    I like this idea :-) :-)

I'm taken with the idea of working at our local zoo, maybe in the education dept ... except they look after/handle lots of bugs and creepy crawlies .... and I don't like them!
    But not yet ... Not till my children are older and won't need me at home. X

21. Likes Maza liked this post
    Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Ha ha are you comparing looking after children to animals??!? (Chuckles!)

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KatieFS View Post
    Ha ha are you comparing looking after children to animals??!? (Chuckles!)
    My friend gave up to become a dog walker. Even now her clients argue about who sits where in the car!!!!!

24. Likes AliceK liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Wouldn't it be great if CMs could explain the reason for leaving when handing back their registration to Ofsted?
    I bet some would give it several shades of truth.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Wouldn't it be great if CMs could explain the reason for leaving when handing back their registration to Ofsted? I bet some would give it several shades of truth.
    Hahaha, bet they wouldn't publish the reasons either lol

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Wouldn't it be great if CMs could explain the reason for leaving when handing back their registration to Ofsted?
    I bet some would give it several shades of truth.
    .....assuming Ofsted could handle the truth?

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

we are still under social services here and I told my social worker exactly why I am giving up today and must admit it felt good

29. Likes JCrakers liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast