Ideas for other jobs with our experience
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  31
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddleywinks View Post
    Hahaha, bet they wouldn't publish the reasons either lol
    If they actually asked CMs anonymously what the reason for leaving is they would not ask silly questions after or wonder why the sector is suffering a huge haemmorhage...wrong spelling I am sure.....if they have not got it so far I doubt the agency cavalry will come to the rescue at this moment in time.
    Ofsted show no sign of worry at CMs consistent lower numbers while the rest of the sector panicks

If I hear once more about their concerns I will not be responsible for my answer

2. Likes Ripeberry, Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It wouldn't surprise me if this is a plan of the government -they have had a secret agenda all along .... make it so difficult for childminders, make them become teachers, make them more qualified, assess them on equal pegging to schools........the profession will slowly die out and they can concentrate on childcare around school care. Get rid of the home childcare option, put all children in an institution from 2 years old.

They have another offensive going around mums who dare to stay at home..so they have tackled that by ensuring no one can afford to, giving all the incentives to 2 working parents, making it nigh on impossible for a couple to afford to survive in this land without both working....all children then end up in an institution by 2 because childcare is funded.

We are all pawns in this huge game of chess.

I think I have woken up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say I agree with you flora! Although me and my partner are both working 6/7 day weeks each and receiving no help or incentive for it we'd actually be better off not working 😂. I really worry about all the pressure they are placing on children it's not right and I don't understand why anyone would think it would be a good idea!

5. Likes ziggy liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if this is a plan of the government -they have had a secret agenda all along .... make it so difficult for childminders, make them become teachers, make them more qualified, assess them on equal pegging to schools........the profession will slowly die out and they can concentrate on childcare around school care. Get rid of the home childcare option, put all children in an institution from 2 years old.

They have another offensive going around mums who dare to stay at home..so they have tackled that by ensuring no one can afford to, giving all the incentives to 2 working parents, making it nigh on impossible for a couple to afford to survive in this land without both working....all children then end up in an institution by 2 because childcare is funded.

We are all pawns in this huge game of chess.

I think I have woken up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.
    Flora Dora...you are spot on and obviously have a clear vision...sorry if this is going to deviate a bit but it is pertinent.

Over the last 2 weeks I have travelled up and down London to various conferences, meetings etc etc.....all we have to do is listen to the politicians, associations and many others as they have a very clear idea on the agenda for EY and Cms.

I don't know if you were a cm around 2010 or around 2012 when a certain minister appeared on the scene?

I believe the govt and Ofsted's intentions for the future of CMs to be very clear and specific....it is my view of course but one which is shared by many and those I speak with...the majority of cms, at the moment, believe cms will continue as they are forever....I would like to hope so but I doubt it very much

Take agencies as an example...many cms are led to believe that nothing important is happening just because they have heard so little about them and there is no agency in their area...think again.
    I attended a local meeting with cms to discuss the agency our LA is setting up...the huge majority of those in attendance had not read a single word about agencies judging by the questions they were asking.

Slowly but surely the future of cms is unwrapping under our very nose...and not just cms although we are the guinea pigs at the moment.. ...that should give us time to ponder our future.

I read yesterday that only 1 in 10 mums is now a 'stay at home mother'
    This is the govt agenda and if they win again it will get worse...mind you not sure what the opposition wants although clear what Nick Clegg has in mind as I attended his conference last week...he is deluded....I asked a question to Labour last night about childcare...again a different agenda there.

We are being used as 'pawns' and pushed around against our will...there is conflict of interest everywhere in this saga and not one word of our opposition to the govt agenda has been taken into account.

Sorry to see that politics and the economy have taken over and control childcare and early education.
    Children will be in school at 2 eventually because the govt and Ofsted's agenda is 'a school led EY sector'...and the common inspection framework is the proof of that.

I think you got out of bed from the side of 'reality'....we are indeed pawns but...like many other cms who have made a decision about their future outside of childminding... the future is in our hands and that is the answer to the OP.
    Last edited by Simona; 03-03-2015 at 09:45 AM.

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes quite agree Simons, I feel worried for the future

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Errr -Simona!

Simona Guest

I stated in my comment that politics and the economy are taking the lead in the education and childcare debate...sorry I forgot to mention 4 Children...the DfE strategic partner in flogging agencies !

Our meeting was led by their Chief Executive (no need to mention her name)...her remit? advertise and promote agencies at all costs...twice she has appeared at our meetings...twice she was unable to answer direct questions!

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not too worried about my future as a childminder but I am so worried about the children who will be going through this. My own grandchildren (when I have them) could be part of this ludicrous thing.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

11. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    I'm not too worried about my future as a childminder but I am so worried about the children who will be going through this. My own grandchildren (when I have them) could be part of this ludicrous thing.
    I am very worried about the future of Childminding (and of the children themselves).

I can see a day when Agencies pay the people on their books minimum wage, and tell them which 3 children they will be looking after (all under 2) and which days they'll have which children, with no control over the mix of children they get. They will just have to make it work or get sacked. (And don't start me on accidents/keeping children safe/resources - they will probably be made to acquire the resources, and will be sacked at the first accident - if they don't brush it under the carpet.) These will be very inexperienced people who aren't confident enough to set up on their own and aren't qualified enough (or able enough?) to get a job in a nursery. (Parents will still pay a premium to join the agency and Agencies will be money-focused instead of care-focused.)

In this scenario, Nurseries will be seen as the elite as they are the ones who are open all year round, with proven staff, and can take children beyond age two (that's if they don't decide it's more profitable not to). Agencies would always be viewed as second choice - tarred with the brush of having second-rate 'staff'.

Childminders will still exist - the ones that can 'teach' anyway - but only if the Government don't increase maternity leave until age two - now there's a thought!

I can also see the parents of children aged two onwards up in arms because they hadn't anticipated that the schools will close during school holidays, so they won't have any cover except the very inexperienced and under-resourced people in Agencies/or any available places in Nurseries - at extortionate rates, or the few remaining places with any Childminders still in operation.

Or schools will be placed under enormous pressure to stay open all year round for that age group - effectively turning them into state-run Nurseries. Then I wonder about the impact this will have across the board on the other school age-groups.

I shudder at the thought of all of this.

I wonder if everyone wouldn't be better served by saving the money spent on Agencies, and placing children into school at age two, on the Childcare Voucher system and give it first-hand to parents (as a larger amount tax-free off their top line pay) to make childcare more affordable, regardless of where they choose to send their child.

As a parent, I would not have wanted either of my children in school at age two and being forced with the dilemma of finding alternative care during school holidays - I would not have liked that one bit. I would probably just have given up work - and who would benefit then?

Anyway, we will see. Perhaps I just don't like change.

L
    Last edited by lollipop kid; 04-03-2015 at 03:27 PM.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lollipop kid View Post

I am very worried about the future of Childminding (and of the children themselves).

I can see a day when Agencies pay the people on their books minimum wage, and tell them which 3 children they will be looking after (all under 2) and which days they'll have which children, with no control over the mix of children they get. They will just have to make it work or get sacked. (And don't start me on accidents/keeping children safe/resources - they will probably be made to acquire the resources, and will be sacked at the first accident - if they don't brush it under the carpet.) These will be very inexperienced people who aren't confident enough to set up on their own and aren't qualified enough (or able enough?) to get a job in a nursery. (Parents will still pay a premium to join the agency and Agencies will be money-focused instead of care-focused.)

In this scenario, Nurseries will be seen as the elite as they are the ones who are open all year round, with proven staff, and can take children beyond age two (that's if they don't decide it's more profitable not to). Agencies would always be viewed as second choice - tarred with the brush of having second-rate 'staff'.

Childminders will still exist - the ones that can 'teach' anyway - but only if the Government don't increase maternity leave until age two - now there's a thought!

I can also see the parents of children aged two onwards up in arms because they hadn't anticipated that the schools will close during school holidays, so they won't have any cover except the very inexperienced and under-resourced people in Agencies/or any available places in Nurseries - at extortionate rates, or the few remaining places with any Childminders still in operation.

Or schools will be placed under enormous pressure to stay open all year round for that age group - effectively turning them into state-run Nurseries. Then I wonder about the impact this will have across the board on the other school age-groups.

I shudder at the thought of all of this.

I wonder if everyone wouldn't be better served by saving the money spent on Agencies, and placing children into school at age two, on the Childcare Voucher system and give it first-hand to parents (as a larger amount tax-free off their top line pay) to make childcare more affordable, regardless of where they choose to send their child.

As a parent, I would not have wanted either of my children in school at age two and being forced with the dilemma of finding alternative care during school holidays - I would not have liked that one bit. I would probably just have given up work - and who would benefit then?

Anyway, we will see. Perhaps I just don't like change.

L
    I've got a mum currently who wants her 3 yr old child in full time school nursery ( I don't have a problem with that at all ) ... and is not happy that I can't have her child in school holidays only. Same parent who didn't understand that term time only funding was term time only!

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone done the a1 assessors course - if so how did you get learners?

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I know it's Childminders as well as Nurseries but I wonder if the change to make the first inspection at 30 months instead of 6 months is a way to get more childminders to join Agencies as with lots of the LA's (ours included) making redundant the Development Officers there is very little support for new childminders.

We are lucky in our town that we formed our own Independent Network over 18 months ago to offer support to each other, arrange our own training and share information that we read on this forum and the Facebook page - without this support network we wouldn't have a clue about changes in legislation, new publications etc

16. Likes Rarara liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do they not inspect you within the first six months of starting up now then?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KatieFS View Post
    Has anyone done the a1 assessors course - if so how did you get learners?
    hi, yes I've completed the a1 assessor through my previous job they trained me in house and supplied the learners, we also had targets to find new learners. I assessed childcare level 2,3 and also play work.
    is it something you want to go into?
    I was one for 5 years until I had my baby and chose not to go back after maternity leave and become a childminder!
    it is a very target driven job I did enjoy the teaching and supporting side of it but felt that it wouldn't fit on with my new family.
    hope this helps and I haven't waffled on

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks crumpet. I've been minding 3 years now and trying to get into nvq assessing - but need to get this a1 under my belt! Hoping to assess childcare but guess could use my other experience in customer service management team leading?
    This isn't something you want to do anymore then?
    How was the a1?

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

What did you do before crumpet

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KatieFS View Post
    Thanks crumpet. I've been minding 3 years now and trying to get into nvq assessing - but need to get this a1 under my belt! Hoping to assess childcare but guess could use my other experience in customer service management team leading?
    This isn't something you want to do anymore then?
    How was the a1?
    hi I applied for the job first then they trained me; most training providers will do this so you don't technically need to get the a1 first. Prior to assessing I was working in a nursery moved up from student right thro to management position. I felt assessing was a good progression.
    I did enjoy parts of it but it can be very draining when the company is so target driven - if u have a good caseload of learners that want to learn it can be a very rewarding job but there is an awful lot that you have to

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Do they not inspect you within the first six months of starting up now then?
    No ...that has changed to 'within' 30 months.
    The reason Ofsted Nick Hudson gave was 'to allow good practice to embed'...that is possibly true but, of course, bad practice can also embed and no one goes near poor providers for a long time which means some children can be in very poor settings for most of their EY experience.

The other reason is possibly because Ofsted are short of inspectors and running very behind on inspections therefore inspecting at 30 months has relieved the pressure.

We can decide ourselves which is the true reason...I tend to lean towards the latter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet54 View Post

hi I applied for the job first then they trained me; most training providers will do this so you don't technically need to get the a1 first. Prior to assessing I was working in a nursery moved up from student right thro to management position. I felt assessing was a good progression.
    I did enjoy parts of it but it can be very draining when the company is so target driven - if u have a good caseload of learners that want to learn it can be a very rewarding job but there is an awful lot that you have to
    sorry I sent to quickly.
    im not sure whether I would recommend or not! I personally couldn't imagine doing it now I have my family.
    There are many jobs out there as it's a high turn over of staff many (at my place) felt it wasn't for them, long hours lots of travelling high number of learners (should have been around 28 but I at one point had 48!! huge targets to meet each month.

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty much all the roles I've seen want qualified assessors

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast