Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Childminder snobbery

Hi guys and girls

I went for a new job and was told I needed more nursery experience, it was a level 2 and 3 assessor role. They were distinctly under whelmed by my childminding experience of 3 years, working with vulnerable children , council award loads of excellent feedback. I've find voluntary work in pre school.

Feel a bit like being a childminder is not as desirable as nursery experience - please tell me this is wrong!?

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it is still the case that a lot of people still think of childminders as a bit thick and lazy sitting on their bums all day watching daytime TV whilst letting the children do as they like. I think we have worked hard to readdress things and to be seen as professional child carers but I find I still have to spell things out to people eg working to the EYFS, training, inspections, insurance etc etc etc.

xxx

3. Likes Maza, fluff1975 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I definitely find that nursery workers look down their noses at us - I mean how can WE provide the same stimulating learning environment as a nursery with all their fabulous resources. EASY - we have the big wide world at our disposal. Instead of having a tuff tray with natural resources to play with - we go out to a wood. Instead of having a reading corner, we have a library or a couch at home.
    At a recent course I was on where nursery workers were whispering and sneering at us, one turned round to me and my friend and asked how we went to the toilet when no one was around to look after the children..................

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately a lot of people still don't have any idea what we do

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't despair, I managed to tutor and was an NVQ assessor for quite a few years. My only experience of early years was childminding.

7. Likes Optimalstar liked this post
    Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Glad it's not just me!

Smiley how did you get started?! I'm thinking to do the a1 course would help me?
    I'm speaking to an online course provider next week....

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yummyripples View Post
    At a recent course I was on where nursery workers were whispering and sneering at us, one turned round to me and my friend and asked how we went to the toilet when no one was around to look after the children..................
    I would have asked them how they went to the toilet? Aren't they always told what to do?

10. Likes Ripeberry, lollipop kid liked this post
    Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes quite! I feel our role is under valued.

I would like to do a bit of nursery work as looking in future to do ofsted inspector so think more experience would be great for my cv