What exactly does flexibility mean...?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  46
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddleywinks View Post
    Been wondering this over the weekend with regards to ministers apparent lack of knowledge, STILL, as to what a childminder actually can and can't do, and what we must do.
    Flexibility is one of those words that keep being thrown at us and I'm curious as to understand what they think being flexible actually means, due to the fact that I believe, of ALL childcare providers, childminders are the MOST flexible of the lot!!

We regularly hear on here, or on the fb page, of CM's going above and beyond the call of duty for a parent or family
    - keeping a child overnight due to bad traffic/lack of parental organisation/new baby arrival etc Would a nursery or preschool do this? Errr...No
    - being FLEXIBLE on charging where there have been unusual or unforseen circumstances Would a nursery not charge or bend the rules like we do? Err...doubt it
    - allowing parents to swop and change hours, often at short notice, and more often than not without incurring a financial penalty, so parents aren't left in the poop thanks to inconsiderate employers Nursery/preschool anyone?

Or maybe, I'm missing the point? Anyone else got any ideas on what ministers want us to be flexible over?
    As you know I have approached the DfE regarding the saga of the 'increase in numbers for cms' and the EYFS dubious explanation in that section
    One of the topics that keeps popping is 'flexibility' because it bears a lot in when we decide to increase our numbers

I am now awaiting a second reply...first one I rejected as it was a 'standard reply' which many cms have seen in the past and I had clearly asked not be sent.

Keep your fingers crossed we get a real response this time

2. Likes Kiddleywinks, shortstuff liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Had an e-mail enquiry last week asking for flexible care due to mum working a rolling rota.

One week she wanted just a Monday 1.30 - 4.30 - the next week she wanted Tues, wed (or Thursday) and Friday, same hours 1.30 - 4.30. I replied saying that I only had one day available and the moment and due to Ofsted's strict rules on ratios, if I had had a space I would have had to charge for 4 days. I feel sorry for the mum but I don't think she will easily find anyone who can help (unless someone has a free space that they aren't that bothered on filling).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12