Individual towels and face cloths
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Individual towels and face cloths

Just wondered how baby of you do this for kids and where you store the washcloths and where do you store or hang the towels day to day?

I currently don't have any child height hooks and was wondering whether there's a way around having them although I now have a little one of my own so I guess they will be inevitable as they grow up

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It is not a requirement to have individual towels. I use wet wipes for faces and anti gel for hands. In the toilet there is one towel and washing liquid which everyone uses if they are visitors. Last time I ask the inspector she said "if you are challenged on this, ask where in the eyfs it states that you MUST". this was because I said what one inspector wants the other doesn't.
    Debbie

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Years ago I thought we had to have a towel for every child so bought them all one in their own colour and a sticky hook to put them on. Then I thought how ridiculous is this! Children's hands are clean after they've washed them and the towel is only to dry them on. The towel is changed every day and I'm happy with that. I was recently inspected and the inspector didn't even go in the bathroom....

4. Likes edayhouse, Maza, Dragonfly liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I swap between a towel that we all use each day that is changed each day and a hand towel ( well ... an ikea flannel ) each. These have a shower curtain ring on the loop and are attached to the towel rail so they don't fall on the floor! Each curtain ring has a laminated child's name attached to it. It works well but I get out of the habit and forget for a few weeks! The interesting bit of individual towels is seeing WHO washes their hands so towel just dries and who uses the towel to remove paint and dirt!
    My local council environmental bod is anti hand towels and really wants childminders to use paper towels and doesn't 'get' that it's my home and I don't want a towel dispenser on the wall!

6. Likes acorns liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a big pile of ikea flannels in a basket at the side of the bathroom sink. The children use one and bring it downstairs, if it's snack or lunch time they will keep it at the table and also use it to wipe their hands and face afterwards . Then they throw it in the wash basket .
    If they come downstairs after the toilet without a cloth I then know they haven't washed their hands and send them straight back up 😄
    Suits us , and the amount of washing I do anyway , it doesn't bother me throwing a few flannels in the wash .

8. Likes TinyTinker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do use individual towels, these are old towels that I have cut into smaller ones I keep them in a basket. When a child has used it goes into a small linen bin for washing. I agree it's not an actual requirement and I didn't do it at the start. It's more of a personal choice to prevent the spread of infection.

SEPT 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive been very slowly having my bathroom redone and my dad came up with this.

ForumRunner_20150206_174023.jpg

Its a board on draw runners. Perfect for all the flannels. They each have their name above it to for learning name recognition.
    And it slides away into the gap at the end of the day! He saw the idea somewhere and it fills a wasted space ( gap wasnt big enough for anything else! I find with the flannels they actually dry their hands properly now.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This thread focus keeps returning!

I have single use, keep them rolled up in basket, use, throw in a little basket bin on other side of sink.

Bought loads from a hotel supplier so wash them with our white t towels twice a week.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    This thread focus keeps returning! I have single use, keep them rolled up in basket, use, throw in a little basket bin on other side of sink. Bought loads from a hotel supplier so wash them with our white t towels twice a week.
    Haha sorry I must admit I didn't search before I posted.

Are these face AND hand cloths flora for using with water? What do they then dry their hands on?

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Haha sorry I must admit I didn't search before I posted.

Are these face AND hand cloths flora for using with water? What do they then dry their hands on?
    Just use them as little hand towels.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

For drying hands after going to the toilet I have a pile of kitchen roll torn into squares. The children dry their hands on one square & throw it in the bin.

The only problem with having individual towels hanging up is that some inspectors get picky about them being next to each other and touching. A cm friend was criticised for it & told there should be enough space between the towels that they couldn't touch!

I also keep a supply of baby flannels. They tend to be smaller than normal flannels, so a good size for small hands. For wiping hands I fill a bowl with soapy water (usually use baby bath), dunk the flannels in & use one for each child to wipe their hands.

It's really a case of waiting and seeing what works best for you once you have children on your books

15. Likes FloraDora liked this post