Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    FEB09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Free Nursery Milk

I overheard a conversation regarding getting milk delivered to a childminder in cartons with straws.
    I have 2 (over one year olds) and have not registered with any nursery milk providers.
    Are you registered with anyone?
    Do you get cartons with straws for the over 1 years?
    Sandy
    xx

June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

It may depend on area, but I get 3 pints delivered per week, just normal ones you get from the shop. I divide it between the children. Great service.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

There used to be a company who would deliver to your door and then claim on your behalf from the Gov but it closed (dodgy claims I believe), used to use them.

You can buy your milk from anywhere you like (shop, delivery service, milkman) but you then claim the £ yourself from NurseryMilk scheme online (Gov dept)- BUT they will not refund you for milk they think is too expensive. I used to have organic from the milkman but NurseryMilk refused to refund me as they said it was too expensive compared to what is available (supermarket milk is so cheap).

There are companies who do milk carton deliveries but when I phoned they were not interested in any less than nursery-school quantities. Simply not economic to send a driver out to a CM for just a few cartons of milk.

I don't even bother claiming from NurseryMilk as supermarket milk is so cheap for a big bottle is was just not worth the hassle of monthly NurseryMilk form filling and putting through accounts (milk cost has to be accounted as an expense and the NurseryMilk payment as an income)... and that is with 3x EYFS mindees everyday, still not worth it for me.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I found that too, no one delivers in my area, can claim back but not worth it I haven't managed it since registering months ago

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to have individual milk cartons delivered by my local milkman then claim the money back via the Nursery Milk scheme

Nursery Milk

They did query the cost of the milk on one occasion, but as I paid for it all through an online account it was easy enough to forward them proof of payments. I found through that the children didn't like the cartons. They may look cute, but were a waste of time. I went back to buying milk from the supermarket or local shop in pint cartons and claiming for that instead. I claim back about 49p a day which over a month is about £10. It's worth doing if the children do drink milk and you're paying out for it anyway.
    It really isn't difficult to do. It's all done online, so no form filling and it's no hassle to have to put it through your accounts. For a refund of over £100 a year I'm willing to spend a couple of minutes a month on it!

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to receive milk from the company that went out of business and previously sent forms in every 4 months to get reimbursed and then receive a cheque. This had to be classed as income and therefore included in annual accounts. I don't claim now as milk is so cheap and just incorpate into food and drink costs.

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

In the dark ages, when I was doing my training, we were told about claiming for milk. It was suggested that we do it, as if childminders stopped claiming, then the right to claim would be taken away altogether .

I claim every month online, it is simple to do. I only have two little ones, and I get about £40 per year.

You need to remember that it can only be claimed once per day per child, and that if the child goes to nursery or preschool, then it is probably being claimed for there, so cannot be claimed by yourself.

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I buy the milk in a shop and claim from nurserymilk.co.uk I save my claim for about 6 months to get a lump sum - as Mouse says it's about £120 a year - not to be sneezed at

Sept 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this for all children in the age group or only those who are funded?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    Is this for all children in the age group or only those who are funded?
    all young children- see details here Nursery Milk

11. Likes Lal liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

for the amount I end up using it's not worth the hassle of claiming it back! I never seem to get children who drink milk during the day, either don't like it or parents not wanting it.

I buy 6 litres of semi skimmed a week of UHT......(also buy same in skimmed for adults) that does my family and mindees for breakfast and costs £4.90..........would think only 25% of that is use by mindees!

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TinyTinker View Post
    for the amount I end up using it's not worth the hassle of claiming it back! I never seem to get children who drink milk during the day, either don't like it or parents not wanting it.
    !

Schools claim per child wether the child has it or not. Not all mine want milk everyday, but they do seem to consume their own body weight in yogurt !

Simona Guest

As many others have already said claiming back for milk is ever so easy now...don't give that money to the govt...every penny counts for our small businesses.

For those already subsidising the so called ' free childcare' not claiming milk is another subsidy from us....claim it while you can because I would not trust this govt to refund us forever!