Registered Childminder since
    Reg 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default interview book???

Hi

I have an interview for a reading assistant role and need to take a book for a year 1 child- what would you think would be a good book to take?

very nervous but time for a change..

any tips??

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

One that you know you can read and bring to life. I love owl babies - I Make all the oo sounds sound like a hoot - monkey and me is a favourite too , the rhythm of the book is great , even better with the animal noises!

3. Likes ziggy liked this post
    Sept 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Like mamma2three says a book you enjoy will be best. Toddle waddle is one of my favourites . Lots of rhyming, repetition, bright pictures etc. You could also have a look on the bookstart website for ideas too. Good luck

Reg 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you both. My favourite book is the tiger who came to tea, but think it will be too long for a five min task!!

I have a week to search my bookcase.

Really nervous but hoping i will get it.

Sept 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Apologies I miss-read your post. Toddle Waddle might be a bit young for a yr 1 child- I was thinking it was interesting to have a reading assistant for a 1 yr old! opps!

Good luck!

7. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I love the tiger who came to tea , but it is a little dated now in the mummy and daddy role models, daddy's tea, daddy's beer daddy takes them to the cafe...etc...perhaps not a good idea for an interview reading.

Do you have to read it to children or will a child be reading with you?

Handas surprise is a good read aloud and together book for that age. Lots of predictions and questions, what did Handa think happened to fruit? Etc... You could take an example of fruit along too and include the children? I love props to help re tell. Ticks multicultural aspect too.

My favourite book at the moment is an Alien Tea on planet Zum zee by Tony Mitton lovely illustrations, rhyming, a bit in the middle around being unkind. I practise the sounds of space vehicles before I read the book - then the children join in as we read.

Monkey puzzle is good too - predictable phrases and rhyme ...
    I would recomend though that you read a book you love as that way your love of it will come out as you read - the children will then love it to.

Good luck

9. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Reg 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Flora Dora, yeah I love the tiger who came to tea, but agree it is dated now adn dont think it is suitable to read in school.
    The task says five minutes with child in year 1 of attainable level and to bring book in to read with child. So think that i will be getting marked on the book i take as well!

Monkey puzzle sounds good- i think i have that. will have a look, adn agree i need to love it too.

I really want this job. i love reading and books. the job is mon-thursday and will keep my friday child. feel sad that i may have to let three others go, but i really need to move on and if this goes well then i may drop fridays altogether!! will be strange going back into school though. no more flexibility. but i also really want my house back and term time only for my kids too.

ooh going to look through the books again now. as really cant decide,

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I also thought you said 1 year old!
    For year 1s how about the Hairy McClary books?

12. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karen1 View Post
    Thanks Flora Dora, yeah I love the tiger who came to tea, but agree it is dated now adn dont think it is suitable to read in school.
    The task says five minutes with child in year 1 of attainable level and to bring book in to read with child. So think that i will be getting marked on the book i take as well!

Monkey puzzle sounds good- i think i have that. will have a look, adn agree i need to love it too.

I really want this job. i love reading and books. the job is mon-thursday and will keep my friday child. feel sad that i may have to let three others go, but i really need to move on and if this goes well then i may drop fridays altogether!! will be strange going back into school though. no more flexibility. but i also really want my house back and term time only for my kids too.

ooh going to look through the books again now. as really cant decide,
    Some interview tips, you may have thought of already though so just ignore if you wish!

Look up the year one vocabularly lists and choose one you love but also that has some of these words in. Plus 3letter words that can be sounded out and some consonant digraphs / blends - as you don't know the level of the child . I Expect you will be given an average year one though, but ask about their phonics stage and sight vocab knowledge - this will show that you want to know about the child before you read with them and know what their next steps are or how far to support. They may ask you why you have chosen this book later in the interview and so make sure you know expected levels statements in reading ( Google reading skills ladders for this information) and you can say you chose...because it's a book you like/ know that children of this age enjoy/ gives them practise at using their phonics / sight vocab. If the role is purely reading then they are investing a lot of budget in this school improvement in this area and will be looking for someone who will make an impact in their children's reading progress.

14. Likes loocyloo, Karen1 liked this post