Stuck in my career choice!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Stuck in my career choice!

i would love to know if anyone is or has been in my position and any thoughts you may have.

I'm not enjoying childminding, I've been cm 2 yrs now but previously worked 15 yrs in nurseries, schools. I'm still interested in staying in childcare however I don't want to go back to being in nurseries, schools etc as I love the freedom of being self employed and having no management above me dictating me on my day to day basis, well excluding Ofsted obviously!!

I think the main problem is I have no adult interaction during the day and I'm getting bored. I know of some cm's in the area but everyone tends to stick to themselves. Our local children's centre does a couple of groups but they are in the afternoon 1-3 and that's the children's nap time and school run. I've thought about setting up my own group, but don't know how easy this is? I've also thought about looking into starting up a pre school but have absolutely no idea where to even start! I can't hire an assistant as I would need to get more children in for that.

I'm just so stuck and becoming very miserable about it all, anyone been in this position and have any thoughts of wisdom for me?

2. Likes Karen1 liked this post
    apr2000
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good/outstan
    Post Thanks / Like

Default stuck at home

Hi,

Im also feeling the same as you too. I have been cm 15 years and go to a couple of groups but thats all and its a lonely job!
    Whereabouts are you?

Carolyn

Quote Originally Posted by Miss freckles View Post
    i would love to know if anyone is or has been in my position and any thoughts you may have.

I'm not enjoying childminding, I've been cm 2 yrs now but previously worked 15 yrs in nurseries, schools. I'm still interested in staying in childcare however I don't want to go back to being in nurseries, schools etc as I love the freedom of being self employed and having no management above me dictating me on my day to day basis, well excluding Ofsted obviously!!

I think the main problem is I have no adult interaction during the day and I'm getting bored. I know of some cm's in the area but everyone tends to stick to themselves. Our local children's centre does a couple of groups but they are in the afternoon 1-3 and that's the children's nap time and school run. I've thought about setting up my own group, but don't know how easy this is? I've also thought about looking into starting up a pre school but have absolutely no idea where to even start! I can't hire an assistant as I would need to get more children in for that.

I'm just so stuck and becoming very miserable about it all, anyone been in this position and have any thoughts of wisdom for me?

apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Just seen your in dartford, I have family there. I'm in kent but more South then you so I'm about a 45 min journey from you.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just seen your in dartford, I have family there. I'm in kent but more South then you so I'm about a 45 min journey from you.
    I'm in the north so no help to meet up , BUT, I meet up with friends from all over the place and sometimes I travel for half an hour or more, so we can meet up!

it is a lonely job, and I totally understand how you feel. when I am in dire need of adult communication I usually go to a local coffee shop! the staff know us/me and I usually know someone in there! plus, someone usually comments how well behaved the children are, so that always makes me feel better!

I do know local minders, but we are all spread out over a large area, and everyone is busy doing all their own school runs etc its hard to meet up. most of the mums I am friends with work and their children are at school ( or come to me! ).

I don't know how you go about setting up a group or preschool sorry, but I understand why you might think about it ( although, I think the logistics and financial outlay might be rather a lot! )

xxx

Simona Guest

I think many Cms feel the same at times...yes CMs can be very clicky...activities and events very repetitive...all becomes a vicious circle and cms feel very isolated and disinterested...it can become very boring and unchallenging

You don't have to give up your self employment to venture outside of Cminding...you can call yourself 'freelance' and offer supply cover...you can look at becoming an assessor for Level 2 and 3...they are in short supply.
    All is legal and permissible and there are plenty more opportunities now

Sometimes a break from the routine does help...I can vouch for that!

Good luck...give it a try ...it is rewarding and opens your eyes very much so 'wide shut'!!

7. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in my third year now and same miss talking to adults although love working with children, seeing their progress and love being my own boss!

I did level 3, now doing foundation degree and hoping to get into nvq assessing. Going to start looking at opportunities in the summer, hopefully by next year will have something in the pipeline.
    I'm lucky I guess, I get to 2 groups mon and tues and met a few lovely cm's, so do get a bit of adult interaction! Also have a day at uni on Thursdays so get to spend time with adults then.

Have a chat to your local dvp officer to see if there are opportunities to start playgroups or pre schools or would you consider further education like level 3 or the degree? See if there is funding available..

There is hope, I try to plan for when I'll be moving on and know what I'm doing now will help me get yo where I want to be in the future,

Good luck and chin up

apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone.

I already have my level 3 and did think about the degree but there was the issue and cost and more importantly what would I do with it afterwards

I think it's mainly a case of having no adult interaction, I don't live near family either so that doesn't help. I'll have to look into setting up a group or something so I can curb the boredom and get some more adult interaction!

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you have a local village hall or church hall you could offer to set up a toddler geoup and run it for them as a volunteer and take your minees with you. Lots of fun for little ones and some adults for you. Its easy to do really.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone.

I already have my level 3 and did think about the degree but there was the issue and cost and more importantly what would I do with it afterwards

I think it's mainly a case of having no adult interaction, I don't live near family either so that doesn't help. I'll have to look into setting up a group or something so I can curb the boredom and get some more adult interaction!
    Are you available evenings/weekends? Would more adult interaction at those times help balance out the lonely daytimes? Volunteering- Scouting, GirlGuiding or the many many charities and organisations could give you a whole new circle of stimulating adult connections. A local Volunteers Service would be a starting point.

apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, I'm not really available for evenings and weekends as thats my family time with my children, husband and friends but thanks for the suggestion. I have just got in contact with a local church hall about a group so will wait and see what they get back to me with.

13. Likes Maza liked this post
    Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done! That's great!

Reg 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

miss freckles, you could be me!!

I have been minding for nearly two years and at the minute I am not enjoying this job. I have been looking at going back into schools, but i can not find a job that allows me to take and collect my own children from school, as the cost of after school club will be £18 for a day and wouldnt justify it. the plan always was when my youngest started school (sept 2014) then i would find another job- but it is proving so hard and now i am really demotivated about it all. plus because i was hoping to leave cm soon, i didnt replace my two full timers who left in november and now have only three on roll- (one being an after schooler!) and very long days and some days no work as one part timer and other shift worker! really dont want to take on more mindees in case i get a job! but need to pay the bills.

i want my house back really! but i have been thinking that i could work just mondays and fridays as they are my busiest days and take on another child those days and then do some bank work in between until i find a job, but would mean possible losing one child who comes on the mid week and also the after schooler (as sibling)- but sometimes not for many hours and not really worth it- have been toying with offering them the monday and friday place and then doing that!

sorry for going on, i try to talk to my husband about it, but he just says stay with minding- but he is not here all day. I go out to groups, meet other cms, do loads of activities, but i feel that i am getting trapped in this job and need to get out and get rid of a load of baby stuff- especially as my kids dont need or want it now.

i have been dithering with this decision for so long, but looking at it now in black and white, i think it might be the right solution to do- mondays and fridays and get some temp work whilst i am looking for the perfect job!! I wonder how easy it is to get nursery bank work in between school hours.

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes feel exactly the same. For the reasons the job works well are the same reasons it's hard to leave it behind. As well as financial implications of finding before and or after school care.
    By having a plan I feel like it's not for long. Try to have smaller goals to enable your path to get to what you want

17. Likes Maza liked this post
    apr 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, been feeling like this for a while now 😕 I've been minding for 11 years, and for the past 5 years, I've been working 50 hours a week, because all my LO went full time and I just couldn't say no the parents, now I have their siblings!! Anyway, really can't decide weather to go part time or give up? If I go part time, think I will feel guilty, as to which family's I give notice to! Hubby works away a lot, and doesn't see the problem and the paperwork I end up doing at the weekends! Sorry to moan x

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes it's the sort of job that if there is work you feel you ought to take it, then end up being really busy which is tough

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karen1 View Post
    miss freckles, you could be me!!

i feel that i am getting trapped in this job and need to get out and get rid of a load of baby stuff- especially as my kids don't need or want it .
    Karen. Could you get rid of a load of baby stuff and just keep the bear essentials? That might clear up a load of space.

I recently has some new little ones start, I noticed that my high chairs and car seats had become a bit manky in storage, so after an unsuccessful wash, I got rid of and bought new. If some of your equipment is looking old, why not get rid of it, and buy new once you decide to take on new little ones.