Guinea pigs
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  17
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Guinea pigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Guinea pigs

I all I have 2 beautiful guinea pigs but now it's getting colder I need to start thinking about bringing them indoors.
    Does anyone else have their guinea pigs/ rabbits indoors? Are they in your childminding areas?
    All parents are happy for their children to come in contct with them we all love having cuddles and helping feed them ect!
    I was just wondering if I could have them in my childminding space over the winter an then back in the garden spring summer?

2. Likes Happiness liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We just used to move our guinea pigs into the summer house and covered their hutches over a blanket or piece of carpet at night as I didn't have room to bring them in - I just used to bring them in each day for an hour for childminding children to play with them, to keep Guinea pigs used to being handled, I just used to turn heating off while GP's were in so it wasn't too much of a contrast when they went back outside.

4. Likes Happiness liked this post
    Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to keep my guinea pigs indoors in the winter but that was many years ago so not really sure what the rules are now. would there be anything on the Ofsted website? We are allowed dogs and cats indoors so I can't see it being a problem.

6. Likes Happiness liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I kept my piggies indoors in our conservatory which is also the playroom. Ofsted liked how children were interacting with the animals and helping to feed them. I'd say as long as you make sure they wash their hands after handling guineas ofsted will be fine

8. Likes Happiness liked this post
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I used to have both guinea pigs and rabbits at various times as indoor pets in the winter. Risk assess. As long as you keep them clean, the area around where shavings and poo can fall out onto the floor. Cleanliness after touching etc. Cssiw should be happy.

My last inspector though was amazed that my parents knew and were happy that I have 4 cats! I live in a rural area and most families farm or keep horses and other animals themselves.

10. Likes Happiness liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

In winter my 2 piggies live in a big indoor cage (ferplast rabbit 120) which is in the playroom. The children love feeding the piggies and watch them and chat to them. One of the piggies sits and wheeks back to the children! We usually get the piggies out to cuddle most days.
    All my parents are happy with the piggies.
    I just make sure they are clean and not smelling each morning!

12. Likes Dragonfly, Happiness liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My guinea pigs both died this year but I always had them inside from November - March in a large 4ftx2ft indoor cage. The children enjoyed feeding them and parents didn't mind, I just made sure they were always clean and children washed their hands if they fed or petted them

14. Likes loocyloo, Happiness liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your replies. My parents have all given consent to handle them and feed them so I can't see it would be a problem. I only have a small house and space is rather limited so the cage is going to take up some space lol but they do need to come in as it's getting colder. Yes I will risk assess and ensure no droppings have come out of cage and food, straw and sawdust etc.
    I know a lot if nursery a have guinea pigs or rabbits indoors.
    X x x

16. Likes hectors house, tas, Happiness liked this post
    Aug2013
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry just a few questions if you lovely people don't mind
    Is it expensive to have a rabbit or GP? Do they need any jabs, visits to the vet, etc ?
    I am thinking of getting a rabbit or GP for my DD but we already have 2 cats who have been with us for years so not so sure if they get on alright. Our kitties are very calm and relaxed. I have taught the little ones to be very gentle with them so most of the time they just sleep around or want cuddles from the children

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I prefer guinea pigs to rabbits as rabbits have a powerful kick and need more space. Guinea pigs are sociable animals and if well handled are great pets for children. You should really have 2 piggies as they need company.

My piggies have an annual check up at the vets and probably another visit over the year. I'm not sure how much it costs as have a cat who appears to live at the vets and so we pay monthly! It's probably a max of £40 a year.
    My new 2 storey outside hutch cost £180, and the outside run was £40.
    My indoor cage cost about £100 and indoor run cost £30. Plus assorted feeding bowls/water bottles/Hay racks etc.
    Sawdust £5: lasts a couple of months (but I only use it in sleeping area), Hay £6: lasts a month, dried grass/etc supplementary feed £6 month. Plus fresh veg everyday.
    Look at the website 'rodents with attitude' for more advice.
    Hope this helps.

19. Likes Happiness, Maza liked this post
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Rabbits and guinea pigs are social and should be kept in at least pairs, so rabbits need lots of space. They need a large space to exercise ( indoors or a run outside when weather is warm/dry). They should have as large a space in their hutch as you can manage. They need lots of hay, sawdust, fresh food and dried food (guinea pigs need GP food as it has extra vitamins).

Rabbits can have a yearly injection against diseases like cats and dogs. They can get ill and need to be taken to the vets.

No telling how the cats will be with small furry things scurrying around the floor - one of mine has recently taken to "catching" small soft toys. Rabbits can also give a hefty kick if they get cross or annoyed and could cause a cat damage (worst case scenario).

My house rabbits and some of my guinea pigs were house trained and would go back to their indoor hutch to do any thing (one male rabbit refused this so he had to be a supervised rabbit in the house). One of my guinea pigs used to creep up on visitors along the back of the sofa and then stand at their shoulder and squeak loudly!
    Last edited by tulip0803; 19-11-2014 at 01:17 PM.

21. Likes Happiness liked this post
    Jan 84
    Post Thanks / Like

We only have one guinea pig and she is kept indoors all year round except when it is warm, dry and not too windy and then she goes out in her run. I think this is helping her being on her own as she has company all the time and she adores the little one I look after and whistles to him when he comes in the morning and he has to go and say hello to her before he does anything else. She is kept where every one can talk to her and she lets you know when she wants company.

She really likes the two pugs we have and is not afraid of them or the cats and if one of the dogs or cats happens to get a bit close to the indoor run when she is having a chase round she will grab at them and has been known to grab a tail or two and not let go.

I know they should be in pairs really but I don't think I can introduce one to her now as she has been on her own too long that is why I make sure she has plenty of human interaction so that she doesn't get bored.

This is my first guinea pig and I only had her because she wasn't allowed to go to her owner's new home, she has been here a year now and we love every bit of her, even the cleaning out.

Teacake2

23. Likes Happiness liked this post
    Aug2013
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone
    Now I have to just convince my oh lol
    He already thinks I run a zoo here

25. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had indoor guinea pigs for years and years - longer than I've been minding! The children love to feed them, and I've never had any negative feedback about them.