Changing nappies
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Changing nappies

For my own child I use a changing mat on a table in my living room because he still small but I was thinking that if I start childminding this probably wouldnt be considered acceptable. Where is thought to be an appropriate place to change nappies and what would inspectors want to see? Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

I change nappies on a changing mat in the living room I use separate mats for each child (usually there own travel changing mats, but I have spares as well). I use my living room as a quiet area for sleeping and reading as I do have a separate playroom. The inspector observed a nappy change and was quite happy with where I changed it but also liked that I was away from the the playroom. So I would say it depends on the layout of your home and space available. I have a downstairs toilet but not enough space in there for a nappy change and I haven't registered my upstairs for childminding.

Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

I change nappies on a changing table that is in the corner of my dining room / playroom. I disinfect it after each child :-)

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have put my changing mat on the worksurface in the utility , previously I have used the floor in the hall but Im getting old!!
    I think inspectors like to see that you are being hygienic , and maintaining a modicum of dignity for the child ( ie not in full view of my other inquisitive monkeys who crowd round and point at the thought of a filled nappy!!)......beyond that I don't think they care much exactly where its done!

5. Likes Ripeberry, Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Would it be considerered risky though if I were to do it on a table for instance? Should it always be done on the floor?

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Would it be considerered risky though if I were to do it on a table for instance? Should it always be done on the floor?
    It depends on the individual child I would say. Very little difference between me doing on a work surface and you doing it on a table . Add a line or 2 to your risk assessment to show youve thought it through , that's all.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never changed on the floor. With my own children I had a big chest of drawers I had the mat on and I used this when I started minding. I now have a PVC tablecloth on my dining table just outside my playroom and I have the changing mat on there. I have only ever had one changing mat, I don't have bags for each child so I don't have their mats to use. I just use a wipe between each change and it means I can leave it all in place, if I used the floor I would have to pick it all up every time!

9. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    nov 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a changing mat in the living room away from everyone. I then wipe with anti bac wipes after each use. I use the same mat for every child. Hope this helps.

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm lucky enough to have a very large downstairs WC - it's huge! So all changing of nappies is done in there. Mat on the floor, sprayed or wiped with wet wipe disinfectant after each use, and when I'm steaming I'll always give it a run over with that too!!

Long ago I use to change nappies upstairs with a changing mat on my bed, but due to age range of children I have had over the years this wasn't for long!!

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I change a child on my knee. I find it easier and I can hold the child. No bending for my sore back and I don't have a changing table
    Tess1981

Post Thanks / Like

What do ofsted like to see though?

Post Thanks / Like

They want to see that you are being hygienic and maintaining dignity for the child. As you can see from the posts it doesn't really matter where as long as you are doing the above.

Post Thanks / Like

Whats considered a hygenic way to then dispose of a nappy? With my own child I change his nappy, but nappy and wipe in a regular carrier bag and chuck in the porch until such time that I head to the outside bin! Im guessing this wouldnt be ok with OFSTED though. What do you all do with regards to disposing of nappies hygenically?

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Whats considered a hygenic way to then dispose of a nappy? With my own child I change his nappy, but nappy and wipe in a regular carrier bag and chuck in the porch until such time that I head to the outside bin! Im guessing this wouldnt be ok with OFSTED though. What do you all do with regards to disposing of nappies hygenically?
    Bagged up. Wet ones go in my kitchen bin which is emptied twice a day anyway. Pooey ones get put straight in my dustbin which is just outside my kitchen door.

xxx