Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Sickness

Registered Childminder since
    Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sickness

Hello, I am looking for some advice. Yesterday I had a LO that turned up, parent said that they had a bit of a temperature. But was ok in themselves, well they were when we were at home. We went out for the day and whilst we were out they seemed very hot and then didn't want to join in with the other ones playing. The LO fell asleep on my lap, which isn't like them. I called parent and they collected. Today i meant to have them, but still has temperature what would you do? Thanks for any advice

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My policy is that if they are well in themselves and can join our daily activities then I will accept them. If not, then they are better off at home. My only exception to this is if I have just that one child on the day so a quieter day doesn't impact on anyone else. Hth.

3. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, no it's not my only one today. The parent said he wasn't 100% yesterday morning. Just find it annoying, as it's been said that I should of stayed home yesterday and they would of been fine.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natalie28 View Post
    Thank you, no it's not my only one today. The parent said he wasn't 100% yesterday morning. Just find it annoying, as it's been said that I should of stayed home yesterday and they would of been fine.
    Who said that? The parent? Well maybe the parent should have stayed at home with them instead of palming them off on you and they would have been fine

xxx

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That sort of comment would make me very cross. We are not nurses and it is not our job to look after sick children. I agree with AliceK, the child's PARENT should have stayed at home with them, if they needed a quiet day.

Simona Guest

Grab this opportunity to 'review' your policy on exclusion when a child has a temperature.
    Usually parents or cms would give Calpol with permission but, if the temperature persists then a visit to the GP is required....temperature is a symptom something is not right.

One other suggestion is to record a child's 'normal temperature' in their file...when it rises you then have the right to ask for the child to be taken to the GP.
    Unfortunately parents often forget we have other children to care for...keeping them all at home because one is sick is not always possible or welcomed by other parents.