Should baking with kids be heathy
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    toddlers896 Guest

Default Should baking with kids be heathy

When you do baking do you do healthy?

I do fairy cakes and we ice them and decorate them, we decorate biscuits, we make pizzas, we make different shape biscuits using cutters so I would say it's more unhealthy than healthyand yes we taste them - best part of making them.

simebody told me today that A parent doesn't want her children eating any chocolate or biscuits and this includes cakes.
    This has just got me thinking now as kids like to eat what they have bake and ime now questioning wether I should be baking these kind of things with the children

Registered Childminder since
    May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as you're not giving them baked fatty or sugary goods everyday I wouldn't worry until you yourself has a parent who doesn't like it.

However the "I Can Cook" book is good as it has child friendly recipes. Some are healthy, others aren't. Might be worth a look if you feel you should be doing healthier stuff

3. Likes N/A, loocyloo liked this post
    Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think any cooking is good doesn't matter if unhealthy it's about more than the end product. It's about math skills, social learning about the world and how food is made. Where it comes from.

With mindies it is mostly cakes I make as they are provided with food by parents so I only do the treat food. They are also still all under two so cooking skills are limited.

With my son I have been getting him to "help" ever since he could sit in the high chair. He sliced mushrooms. Helps stir makes bread crumbs, he try's to do whatever I do.
    But then I think as much as it is a childminders job to teach children to be healthy I think it is more of a parents job to teach a child to cook and eat healthy, the main reason I do any baking with mindies is that I know the parents don't bother so I like to teach the basic skills and in my head I think they enjoy it more if the end product is sweet.

5. Likes N/A, Dragonfly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Any baking we do is usually of a treat variety. I don't do unhealthy snacks the rest of the time so it really is just great fun and a treat. It surely is more important that children get to experience the fun and enjoyment of baking than to miss out cause we don't want to cross the unhealthy barrier. I am upfront and honest with my parents regarding food and they've all been fine with the little ones creations :-)

7. Likes N/A, Dragonfly liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

we make cakes and biscuits,

we make sweet and savoury scones,

we make pizza and bread rolls,

we chop up fruit which is made into crumbles, we make pastry which is made into pies or cheese straws

we chop veggies which is turned into soup!

they also chop their own fruit and veggies at snack time, butter/make and cut their own sandwiches etc.

9. Likes N/A, AliceK liked this post
    dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

If we bake it's normally cakes, the children love it! One lo doesnt like cakes but enjoys the process of making them whilst all the others enjoy eating them too. None of the parents have ever been unhappy about their children eating them and always seem pleased their child has been baking.

Post Thanks / Like

It should be fun and varied.

Providing the food you cook is healthy, I don't think there is anything wrong with baking cakes. I cook all sorts with children, and as a result they understand there is a time for cake and biscuits, and a time to eat everything else. Balance is the key!

Post Thanks / Like

All the food and snacks I serve at the setting are healthy..the baking tends to be cakes and biscuits which I then let them have one of afterwards. I have this written so many times in my polices and information I give to parents. I do think teaching children that treats are ok providing they are rare and in moderation.