Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Car trouble

Registered Childminder since
    May 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Car trouble

Trying to decide whether to give up using my car for childminding and just getting an ordinary smaller family car. I bought a Citreon C4 grand Picasso when I started minding (4 years ago) which cost me as much as I ended up earning in the first year. It has let me down so many times and I have spent a fortune on repairs. I feel like I'm working to keep the car running.

It is about a mile to school which is fine on the way there but on the way back it is a very steep uphill. I have been walking it the last few days with a double pram and 2 year old walking/buggy boarding. It's ok but exhausting, I'm too knackered to play with them.

I took the car in to the garage today with a handbrake problem and they have just rang me to sat it will be £239 to fix plus my front wheel bearings have gone and that will be £389 to fix, I need it back a 2pm for the school run, they have no courtesy cars available.

I told them to fix the breaks and I will book it in for the wheel bearings next week. What I am really going to do is decided whether to get rid of the stupid money pit of a car once and for all. Instead get a little family car and a good quality easy to push pram.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

What pram have you got? I hardly use our car- I use an double Nipper 360 and a 2 year old walking. It is a breeze to push, even one handed.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you thought about buying a newer car? I know it will cost but if you took out a loan, claim the interest against expenses, you won't have repairs to do (hopefully) and you will be dry and warm in the wet weather.
    Debbie

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Dh says never buy a French car!

He says buy a VW

Although he would also happily buy a japanese car or a Kia too. ( but he is (classic/vintage) VW obsesssed! If he had his way I would be driving a split bus with 12 seats but rather old and too precious for me to put children in! ... I'm sticking with modern cars! )

I've had a Toyota ( corolla verso ) for the past 7 years and I can't fault it. It's now 10 years old and apart from tyres is only now starting to cost money! And still not as much as OP.
    Last edited by loocyloo; 18-10-2014 at 07:05 PM.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Depending on number of seats you need, I have a tiny Hyundai I10, fits 3 seats in easily, very cheap to buy and run and reliable so far, but I do walk for school run so can collect more kids in addition to my little ones I have in the day that go in the car.
    My husband has a kid ceed also very reliable so far, had it 3years and its still in its warranty as we didn't buy it new, and its never had a problem. If I have a schoolie for the day during holidays we swap cars as I can fit 3 slim seats across the back of it.