Thinking of getting a new phone
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thinking of getting a new phone

I want to replace my old brick of a phone and get a nice shiny new one that takes good pictures. I am wondering what is the best way to go about this. I have never had a contract phone before, just pay as you go since I don't spend a lot. I know I can claim back the cost of childminding calls but I am wondering can I put the cost of the phone if I buy it outright through my expenses (perhaps 50% work 50% personal) Then I will either continue pay as you go or maybe a sim only contract. Does anybody know please

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am thinking along the same lines as you - if I had a phone that took decent photos I wouldn't have to take my camera out with me too (yesterday I forgot camera).

Like you I already have a phone and the main reason for changing would be to get good photos - I look at other minders snapping away and their photos are so much faster and clearer - by the time my flash has gone off the children have vanished or tower fallen down!

I too would prefer to buy phone outright and stick to my PAYG with Vodaphone I get a £10 freedom freebie - unlimited text, 150 mins (I think, I rarely use more than 10 mins) and small amount of data (that I don't use with current brick). I think 50% is a fair amount, hopefully someone else with actual knowledge of this will post soon.

3. Likes watgem, Tulip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi don't know about buying outright as mines on contract, but I claim 50/50 but in all honesty it's more 80/20 as my phone contains everything from apps to diaries pictures and videos and its a great tool. I recently dropped it down the loo and was gutted thing I'd loose everything but LO and behold it works fine. Sorry I can't offer more advice but make sure you shop around also ask friends who may have recently upgraded to the latest I phone if they are selling their old one. My son had his nannys old phone and we got him a contract for £12pm with plenty of data and texts and unlimited calls x

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum

feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I love this thread I'm thinking ahead to when m contract runs out what phone to get next? I have a samsung galaxy ace and it desn't have enough memory for all the apps I want/need also the camera is a bit slow, so really looking forward to some suggestions

Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    I am thinking along the same lines as you - if I had a phone that took decent photos I wouldn't have to take my camera out with me too (yesterday I forgot camera).

Like you I already have a phone and the main reason for changing would be to get good photos - I look at other minders snapping away and their photos are so much faster and clearer - by the time my flash has gone off the children have vanished or tower fallen down!

I too would prefer to buy phone outright and stick to my PAYG with Vodaphone I get a £10 freedom freebie - unlimited text, 150 mins (I think, I rarely use more than 10 mins) and small amount of data (that I don't use with current brick). I think 50% is a fair amount, hopefully someone else with actual knowledge of this will post soon.
    You sound just like me I get the orange £10 thing for free calls, texts etc, same as you I never really use the data thing as old brick takes so long!

Aug2013
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm. I am thinking of getting a new one too. Fed up of using my slow camera lol. My oh pays my phone bill ( lucky me yayyy). Can I still put my monthly bill through my expenses? If so how much can I claim please? TIA x

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

A childminding friend got a newer phone so she could take photos for on-line learning journal, but she has gone back to using digital camera as camera on phone too slow. Think the i-phones are best for photos - but there again for the money they cost you could buy a fantastic new camera. But yesterday I forgot to take my camera out with me and when I did remember it today the batteries went flat and I forgot to take spares.

9. Likes Happiness, watgem liked this post
    Aug2013
    Post Thanks / Like

hectors house lol this happens to me at least once a week. The battery is always flat. My oh keeps telling me to get the newest iPhone. 5 I think? But I only use it to text the parents. Never Actually phone anyone. Don't know if it's worth it.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to have an iPhone but i was fed up with being limited to apple apps. I now have a Samsung s4 and the camera is fab.

Maybe go to phone shops and ask if you can test a couple of different ones? They do have handsets people can test out in store usually.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    I used to have an iPhone but i was fed up with being limited to apple apps. I now have a Samsung s4 and the camera is fab.

Maybe go to phone shops and ask if you can test a couple of different ones? They do have handsets people can test out in store usually.
    App's - that's something else I don't understand - how can I possibly go into a phone shop manned by teenagers and admit I have a brick and I don't know anything about anything!

13. Likes watgem liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post

App's - that's something else I don't understand - how can I possibly go into a phone shop manned by teenagers and admit I have a brick and I don't know anything about anything!
    You wont be the 1st or last. Promise. Oh n they are trained to be helpful.

If you lived nearby i would be more than happy to help :-)

15. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

So does anyone know if I can put a percentage of buying a new phone through my expenses please?